Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The people in that craftsman need to be introduced to mission furniture. It's a near crime to see such a lovely house with tacky new stuff inside.

(To note: if I owned a craftsman house I would go Stickley all the way down to the umbrella stand. I might be cash poor with five pieces of furniture to my name, but at least I'd be making my ketchup soup in the presence of something beautiful.)

Also, you can buy a craftsman here in some areas for very very little (well under 10 thousand) but I wouldn't want to sleep there. Most run under $100,000.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
There's entire neighborhoods of those Sears houses here -- they're all around a hundred years old, and they're all still in very nice condition. You might pay $150,000 for one here.

All the Sears homes I seen were very well built. This home is in one of the premier neighborhoods. A couple of miles in any direction and it would drop into the mid to high $100,000 range. I asked my realtor what my house in the same area would be worth, he said it would be worth at least $500,000 to $700,000. I said, I will leave it where it is!

All the Sears homes I seen were very well built. This home is in one of the premier neighborhoods. A couple of miles in any direction and it would drop into the mid to high $100,000 range. I asked my realtor what my house in the same area would be worth, he said it would be worth at least $500,000 to $700,000. I said, I will leave it where it is!

But if you move it, you can sell it and make out like a bandit. No more cat issues. :p

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
The Lonely Navigator, I'm not particularly knowledgable about the 1920s, or hardly at all, honestly, but when I think of beds in the early 1900s, I do tend to think of iron and metal bed frames, especially for twin beds, which it looks like you have. Maybe something like this 1920s Simmons metal mesh frame?

bedspringsandmattress.jpg

Also, maybe this link would be helpful? Scroll down to "get the look" especially.

Last edited:
:focus:

A question:
Is there a way for me to find help (pro bono, please!) of an interior decorator? :D
Magazines such as "Home Owner's handbook" are a massive help, but still.. hints and tricks would help me greatly.

I would assume you are looking to move beyond rustic wooden furniture and a portrait of Lenin:p What era's vibe did you have in mind? Maybe I can reccomend some books or websites.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would assume you are looking to move beyond rustic wooden furniture and a portrait of Lenin:p
Rustic wooden furniture? *takes a look around* Yeah, I could live without that.
Portrait of Lenin?! :eeek: Only time I see that is on TV. (there was ANOTHER portrait in these areas, sir - but my family never had that one on the wall rather) :p We have paintings.. charming ones, my dad panted them: nature, horses.. [huh]

What era's vibe did you have in mind? Maybe I can reccomend some books or websites.
I'm reconstructing a house from the beginning of the century (bare in mind: my folk, back in the day, used to build using a "Rammed Earth" method). It also means the ceiling is 2.00 meters hight; no higher than that. :D
I will reconstruct it, reinforce it, and.. if I'm still alive (and financially capable) I would like to get the sleek and light look inside.
Wooden flooring.
Light colored walls.
..and I'm aiming for something simple.. as long as it does not involve any plastic material. I guess I'd like to go for feminine late-1930's :D

Inspiration:

Art_Deco_Living_Room_by_wetwork777.jpg

clarke_living_room.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe