Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When I bought the MG, others told me that classic cars can be like tattoos, inexplicably addictive. Think I'm in love: Better check how many pennies in the bank.(Wonder if she would notice a fair few grand go missing?)

mg sa.jpg

mg sa f.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Greg Norman makes a good jack stand. :p
You can't top a good beer doubling up as a good jack stand. But...............

There were many features fitted as standard on the MG 'Y' type such as the Smiths 'Jackall' four wheel hydraulic jacking system. This consisted of four hydraulic jacks located adjacent to the wheels that could be lowered all at the same time to support the car entirely free of the ground, this enabled wheel changes and general maintenance. The front could also be raised independently and vice versa. The hydraulic pump was located on the nearside of the engine bulkhead and was activated by a hand operated lever.

Prizes for guessing who might own such a car.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
When I bought the MG, others told me that classic cars can be like tattoos, inexplicably addictive. Think I'm in love: Better check how many pennies in the bank.(Wonder if she would notice a fair few grand go missing?)

View attachment 15693

View attachment 15694

What a beauty!!!!

I've always thought those pre-war MG sports saloons (that's a VA isn't it) along with the Jag Mk IV were the prettiest 30s saloon cars.

Nice colour too.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yes but the XK120 could run rings around both. :p

Yes it undoubtedly could James, but then it is a post war sports car whilst GHT's MG and the Mk IV Jags are pre-war saloon cars. Comparing apples with oranges old boy ;)

Have you seen the prices of XK120s lately? To rich for my blood! Even the XKE has gone out of sight.

Mate back home had an XK140 and a Series I E-Type. The E-Type reminded him of his ex-wife and so he gave it to my wife and I to use. Lucky us eh :D

Yes it undoubtedly could James, but then it is a post war sports car whilst GHT's MG and the Mk IV Jags are pre-war saloon cars. Comparing apples with oranges old boy ;)

Mate back home had an XK140 and a Series I E-Type. The E-Type reminded him of his ex-wife and so he gave it to my wife and I to use. Lucky us eh :D

More like comparing a bicycle with a rocket. :p

I would have rather had the XK140. :p The Es are too darned small for me to actually drive. lol lol

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What a beauty!!!!

I've always thought those pre-war MG sports saloons (that's a VA isn't it) along with the Jag Mk IV were the prettiest 30s saloon cars.

Nice colour too.
The VA is not mine, apologies if I gave the impression that it was. Mine is a Y, designed in 1937, prototypes built and tested, tooling all set up for the production run, then suspended because of WW2, when all factories went over to war effort. Production resumed in 1947, but by then, running boards were disappearing along with flared front wheel arches and non integral headlamps. It was a museum piece even before it was built. What I was implying, the MG Y is such fun I'm addicted to it, (the way some are with tattoos) and wouldn't I just love to give it a companion in the garage. Then I saw the VA for sale..................

Here's mine, and no matter how we try, it's impossible to upstage it.

One of the real pleasure's of driving these cars, and it's not just MG's, is the wonderful view you get. The car wasn't designed in a windtunnel, so the front doesn't drop away out of view, instead you see the top of those headlights, you see that radiator cap and all the time you hear the roar of the exhaust, with only baffles instead of a catalytic converter.

Getting in an out of it is a work of art, not easy at first, but once you have mastered the suicide doors, it gets easier.

Then you have that wonderfully evocative fragrance of walnut & leather. The seats have held their shape well over the decades:

And there's plenty of room to do Thelma & Louise impressions:

Now if you have any ideas how I might persuade my wife about getting a stable companion, please write them on a postage stamp.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82