Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Swing Lover

New in Town
That's an impressive number of ties and well organised Swing Lover. My OCD self is impressed. Do you only focus on the 40s/50s bold fat body ties? Or do you also collect the 30s, 20s, and earlier, ties too?

I hope you wear them, too!

Yes, Baron, I wear them. I started collecting vintage ties to wear them onstage. I remember (and still own) the first tie I ever bought at a vintage clothing store on Haight Street in San Fran in 1991 (wore it for the photo shoot for my band's very first album). Over the years I realized that there was a criteria for ties that interested me most. They had to *pop* on a white shirt and scream to the back of the audience. For me, the white shirt serves as a clean canvas and the tie is the featured painting.

I read in earlier posts in this thread that you didn't really care for the loud, wide '40's ties. When I read this, it made me revisit why I was indeed interested in them. I think every collector probably does this and every collector has their preferences. I don't collect thin ties or anything later that 1955, nor do I collect conservative ties or repeating prints that a banker would wear. I don't collect Dali ties...they are cool for what they are, but to me, they are too much like an expensive investment for finance guys and less about an artistic presentation. I LOVE hand painted ties because every one is unique. For me, the louder the better, the more unique the better, the more "show-biz" the better! But I think if I had chosen a different profession, my tastes might be different. Like I said, every collector has their preferences and all are valid.

However, I think I read recently that you had purchased a few wide '40's ties recently. Perhaps your preferences are changing?? :)

Last edited:
My preferences have indeed undergone a bit of a shift. I still don't like the 40s/50s wide bold ones very much (I'm very short - 5' 2" - and slim/athletic, so the huge patterns and very wide blade really looks stupid on me) but I realise what a mistake it was to give them all away either free or at ridiculously cheap prices. So I'm starting to build a nice little group of them again.

I love handpainted designs, with one of my favourites being Linde of CA. Their paint work was always awesome and the designs interesting.

But my main focus is on 30s and earlier ties, and particularly the ridiculously bold middle 1920s brocades.

I'll ask the same question I've put to Quigley, jamespowers, and the other big tie collection owners. How may "doubles" have you come across? Even in the rather more staid conservative striped/checked 30s ties, I've only ever come across one or two doubles. And this is in 750 pre-1950 ties currently in my collection, and probably about 80 others that I've sold. I think the other collectors agree - doubles are quite rare. It speaks to the astonishing variety of tie patterns that were around then!

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
A couple of ties to share, one of a modern shape but a pleasing restrained vintage-esque pattern which was amongst a number bought from a local drapers to wear with my demob suits, the other altogether more vintage in shape, but apparently almost equally modern:

IMG_0118-1.jpg

This latter one is marked "Blue Knot Ties by Nextman"; assuming it is not some 1980s production by annoyingly ubiquitous UK clothing retailers NEXT (which I would not exclude as a possibility), has anyone come across the brand before? It doesn't feel of the highest quality, although it is silk, but the pattern and shape are pleasing.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Those look like great ties, Anthony Jordan. I'm a big fan of red ties or ties with red being the dominant color. Three of the ties I ordered off of ebay shown on the last page are red. Would anyone like to help me clarify their time period? I think the knit tie might be more modern.

Yes, Baron, I wear them. I started collecting vintage ties to wear them onstage. I remember (and still own) the first tie I ever bought at a vintage clothing store on Haight Street in San Fran in 1991 (wore it for the photo shoot for my band's very first album). Over the years I realized that there was a criteria for ties that interested me most. They had to *pop* on a white shirt and scream to the back of the audience. For me, the white shirt serves as a clean canvas and the tie is the featured painting.

I read in earlier posts in this thread that you didn't really care for the loud, wide '40's ties. When I read this, it made me revisit why I was indeed interested in them. I think every collector probably does this and every collector has their preferences. I don't collect thin ties or anything later that 1955, nor do I collect conservative ties or repeating prints that a banker would wear. I don't collect Dali ties...they are cool for what they are, but to me, they are too much like an expensive investment for finance guys and less about an artistic presentation. I LOVE hand painted ties because every one is unique. For me, the louder the better, the more unique the better, the more "show-biz" the better! But I think if I had chosen a different profession, my tastes might be different. Like I said, every collector has their preferences and all are valid.

Wow! You hit on many of the points of what I like in my ties as well as making the white shirt your canvas for something much more interesting. I have a few shirts of other colors but mine are mostly white for the same reason that you wear white shirts.
The very reason those ties were made at the time was indeed to wake up very sedate suits and shirts. You could be wild with a tie while still wearing a suit. :p
As the old quote goes:
"The books I read and life I lead are sensible, sane and mild, I like calm hats, I don't wear spats, but I want my neckties wild." :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
A couple of ties to share, one of a modern shape but a pleasing restrained vintage-esque pattern which was amongst a number bought from a local drapers to wear with my demob suits, the other altogether more vintage in shape, but apparently almost equally modern:

IMG_0118-1.jpg

This latter one is marked "Blue Knot Ties by Nextman"; assuming it is not some 1980s production by annoyingly ubiquitous UK clothing retailers NEXT (which I would not exclude as a possibility), has anyone come across the brand before? It doesn't feel of the highest quality, although it is silk, but the pattern and shape are pleasing.

The width of the rear blade of the Watchman doesn't quite look "vintage;" it's too tapered. Nice tie, though.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I bought the ties below on eBay.

Advertised as 1950s/60s:

$(KGrHqN,!jUFDqhRR46VBR!)gV,oYQ~~60_57.JPG

By the way, does anyone know where to buy a tie "rod" (preferably online), so that I could efficiently iron out wrinkles? I think Widebrim mentioned that thing a few pages back. It's supposed to fit into the underside of a tie, if I remember.

The one on the right definitely looks c.1960, but the other two are harder to date without seeing the back of both blades (and any tags they may have). Having said that, the other two at least appear to also be c.1960. Regarding the tie rod, just look on e-Bay; that's where I found mine.

Swing Lover

New in Town
My preferences have indeed undergone a bit of a shift. I still don't like the 40s/50s wide bold ones very much (I'm very short - 5' 2" - and slim/athletic, so the huge patterns and very wide blade really looks stupid on me) but I realise what a mistake it was to give them all away either free or at ridiculously cheap prices. So I'm starting to build a nice little group of them again.

I love handpainted designs, with one of my favourites being Linde of CA. Their paint work was always awesome and the designs interesting.

But my main focus is on 30s and earlier ties, and particularly the ridiculously bold middle 1920s brocades.

I'll ask the same question I've put to Quigley, jamespowers, and the other big tie collection owners. How may "doubles" have you come across? Even in the rather more staid conservative striped/checked 30s ties, I've only ever come across one or two doubles. And this is in 750 pre-1950 ties currently in my collection, and probably about 80 others that I've sold. I think the other collectors agree - doubles are quite rare. It speaks to the astonishing variety of tie patterns that were around then!

Yup. I understand the appeal of a certain style of necktie. I'm hard to fit in a suit...my shoulders and chest are bigger in proportion to my height and waist. I've had to drastically tailor every suit I've ever aquired. One of the reasons I started collecting vintage ties was that they are "one size fits all". I don't have a thick neck and as long as the tie was truly of the period, I knew it was going to fit me. The wide blade looks good on my wide chest and I like how there's more surface area for the art.

I admire ties from the 20's and 30's...definitely sophisticated and classy. The brocades are incredible and they catch the light in a cool way. I also admire Countess Mara designs and almost started collecting them, but I realized that they, too, are too demur for my taste. You need get right up close to see the playfulness of a CM design. If I was a salesman, I would collect and wear them. They invite interest from others and are great conversation starters. I read somewhere that Countess Mara was quoted as saying "Tell a man you like his necktie and you will see his personality unfold like a flower." I think this is true.

Here's a great Countess Mara tie that Quigley Brown posted awhile back. Like most CM designs, the theme is awesome:

countess.jpg

Here's another one I found online. Very cool:

4222852892_dbf5e8746c_o.jpg

I've run across doubles in the past, Baron, but I think you're correct. The number of neckties being manufactured exploded after WW2 and there were many, many designs and manufacturers to choose from. Still, I've seen more doubles than I thought I would see over the years, mostly of designs that tie companies knew would sell (or were already selling well), like girlie or bowling ties.

This tie is on ebay now. I've seen it for sale in vintage clothing stores and online many times:

NudeNecktie1.JPG=600

I think this may be why I appreciate hand painted ties so much. They are more unique and I'm probably the only guy on the planet earth wearing that design at that moment.

(Sorry for my long-winded post. I tend to ramble on when talking about this topic :) )

Last edited:

Swing Lover

New in Town
Wow! You hit on many of the points of what I like in my ties as well as making the white shirt your canvas for something much more interesting. I have a few shirts of other colors but mine are mostly white for the same reason that you wear white shirts.
The very reason those ties were made at the time was indeed to wake up very sedate suits and shirts. You could be wild with a tie while still wearing a suit. :p
As the old quote goes:
"The books I read and life I lead are sensible, sane and mild, I like calm hats, I don't wear spats, but I want my neckties wild." :p

Absolutely. The tie was really the only way a cat could separate himself from others and show off his personality.

Remember when The Gap couldn't keep denim shirts and khakis on the shelves? They somehow made it cool to wear a uniform. Everyone looked the same. I say "screw that"! I like how I feel when I wear a vintage tie. It takes balls to wear a wild one, especially nowadays. And because hardly anyone else is doing it, I stand out.

(Are you figuring me out yet, James? I like to get attention :) )

Last edited:
Absolutely. The tie was really the only way a cat could separate himself from others and show off his personality.

Remember when The Gap couldn't keep denim shirts and khakis on the shelves? They somehow made it cool to wear a uniform. Everyone looked the same. I say "screw that"! I like how I feel when I wear a vintage tie. It takes balls to wear a wild one, especially nowadays. And because hardly anyone else is doing it, I stand out.

(Are you figuring me out yet, James? I like to get attention :) )

I absolutely hate the Urban Uniform. I dislike jeans they are like a tin suit. You only have to wash them about 1000 times before they feel like cloth. :rolleyes:
I actually don't crave attention but my style attracts it. :p I suppose back in the day, I would just be another guy who liked to dress well. :p It is just now with the Urban Uniform crowds that we stand out.
I could make that Countess Mara tie stand out. Wear it with a black suit. It would definitely stand out. :p
Ah yes, the hand painted tie:
$(KGrHqV,!oUFE(3ydblOBRHlfLbiDw~~60_57.JPG

DamianM

Vendor
I absolutely hate the Urban Uniform. I dislike jeans they are like a tin suit. You only have to wash them about 1000 times before they feel like cloth. :rolleyes:
I actually don't crave attention but my style attracts it. :p I suppose back in the day, I would just be another guy who liked to dress well. :p It is just now with the Urban Uniform crowds that we stand out.
I could make that Countess Mara tie stand out. Wear it with a black suit. It would definitely stand out. :p
Ah yes, the hand painted tie:
$(KGrHqV,!oUFE(3ydblOBRHlfLbiDw~~60_57.JPG

This one is a great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82