Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
This is a long thread and I don't recall seeing these links posted.

K.N.O.T. Kollectors of Nasty Old Ties

Will's vintage ties Finally..a worthwhile blog!

Thanks, Feraud. I already had K.N.O.T. on the necktie radar, but had forgotten where to find Will's vintage ties. Does anyone know, though, of either a local (CA) or national tie collectors club? I've searched and searched, but it continues to be a knotty problem...

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
This is my first and so-far only vintage tie. I really like the pattern:) Could any of you experts help me date it? I'm fairly sure it's vintage, because it is considerably shorter than any modern tie I've seen..in fact it is my only tie I can wear in a proper way, i.e. not too long with a four-in-hand. As far as I know, Tricel is some acetate stuff and has been invented in the 20/30s?
CIMG5434.jpg

CIMG5435.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
When it comes to ties, I'm a babe in the woods compared to, well, pretty much all of you. These are my first three vintage ties. From left to right: Arrow, Korry and no tag, so I don't know.

MyVintageTiesDSC_4239.jpg

I bought these a week ago Saturday - a day before going to Santa Anita, where I wore the one next to the scarf. I took the scarf with me, but never pulled it out of my pocket: It's "All Acetate." I'll wear it the next time the racing season opens, I'm sure.

Lee

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I love that scarf! How did you not wear it at the track??
:)

Stupidity. :eusa_doh:

I really wish I had; at the very least out of respect for the lady who'd found it for me. It was my first time in vintage, and had I not allowed myself to be cowed by the mild weather and not knowing how to wear it, I would have been more inclined to.

Lee

MrNewportCustom said:
Stupidity. :eusa_doh:

I really wish I had; at the very least out of respect for the lady who'd found it for me. It was my first time in vintage, and had I not allowed myself to be cowed by the mild weather and not knowing how to wear it, I would have been more inclined to.

Lee

That scarf is wonderful. I would say it depends on the length really. If it is long enough to wear much like you an ascot then:
http://www.texeresilk.com/cms-Ascot_Knot1.html

I love that one but this is good too:
http://www.texeresilk.com/cms-twice_ascot.html

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
That scarf is wonderful. I would say it depends on the length really. If it is long enough to wear much like you an ascot then:
http://www.texeresilk.com/cms-Ascot_Knot1.html

I love that one but this is good too:
http://www.texeresilk.com/cms-twice_ascot.html

Thank you very much, JP.

Total length is 44 inches, 50 inches if you count the fringe. Draped over my shoulders, both ends reach to just above my navel, minus fringe. (I'm 5'8".) Tied as shown in the first site (thank you very much) the design is drawn up to a nice height; high enough that the design shows between the lapels of a coat. It's much too short to be worn as tied in the second site.

On a related note, the scarf is folded double. That means that when I open it up the design is in the lower left corner of the scarf, as viewed by a person looking at it.

I like the idea of just draping it over my shoulders and allowing both ends to hang freely.

Thank you again,
Lee

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
What a wonderful tie box, Skeet!

Below is another 1920s tie box. (Yes, it really, truly is from the '20s. Came with its original '20s tie inside, too.) Interesting how 1960s "pop" and "psychedelic" advertising art was influenced by that earlier era ...

hatsetc001_edited-1.jpg

Holy-moly! I thought MINE was...gaudy. I realize this might veer :eek:fftopic: but:

I do think that there is a STRONG connection between the 1920s and the 1960s, and not just design-wise. I lived through the [horror of] the '60s...as the only kid in a neighborhood full of WWI veterans and their ex-flapper wives. And, even then, I was interested in that period, and spent a lot of time asking them what the '20s were like. This was largely their take on the '60s: they'd seen it all before: sex, drugs, and hot jass.

And, honestly--not just to pull against the current and get back ON topic...anyone who sees your amazing tie box and DOESN'T wonder what the artist was on when he conceived it.....well, I wonder, at least :rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe