Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
It all boils down to personal preference. I like a tie with a little pizazz so I'm nearly always looking for bold look ties. Although I do have and enjoy a few subtle over-all patterned 30's ties for the most part they make me yawn :bored:. This may have been posted here before but I think it explains the attitude of those who are in the bold look camp:

The books I read and the life I lead are
sensible, sane and mild
I like calm hats and I don't wear spats,
but I want my neckties wild!

Give me a wild tie brother, one with a cosmic urge!
A tie that will swear and rip and tear
When I see my old blue serge;
Oh, some will say that a gent's cravat
should only be seen, not heard,
But I want a tie that'll make men cry
and render their vision blurred.

Give me a wild tie brother
One with a lot of sins!
A tie that will blaze
In a hectic gaze,
Down where the vest begins.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
i don't see either of the ties in the link above as being intended to be shown in their entirety. they're an 'all over' design.
you can show as much or as little as you choose.

I think that's the crux of the matter: the argument has become polarised into discussing extremes. The all over designs are something I wear in exactly the manner you mention (disappearing behind a waistcoat etc). It's the "look at my very detailed duck hunting scene" ties that are a bit too much for me.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
While the message certainly is agreeable for the Bold Look proponents, keep in mind that it predates the Bold Look by at least 12 years. The author had ties in mind that were of the 20-30's variety of "wild". ;)

Interesting pdf on the origin of that poem. I was wondering about the reference to spats as they were certainly out of fashion by the bold look era.

Stripes?
28761f5e717f3ca34a16c876acf8acdc.jpg

or Bold Look?

Who's claiming it??

As long as both are "vintage" (1920-40's) I am fine with them. ;)

A tie not only consists of pattern. :nono:

If one can't see differences in fabric, weave, color and cut one is still stuck at an extremely superficial level.

If stripe equals stripe regardless of any other factor, I guess these ties are on par with "Bold Look" ties.

Western

Winter

Animal

Nah, those figures aren't stylish enough or even near hand painted. lol lol

@Kahuna

Interesting poem by John Tarnowsky.

While the message certainly is agreeable for the Bold Look proponents, keep in mind that it predates the Bold Look by at least 12 years. The author had ties in mind that were of the 20-30's variety of "wild". ;)

Source: http://www.scs.illinois.edu/~mainzv/HIST/bulletin_open_access/num6/num6 p21-23.pdf

True that but even then there were people who preferred patterns over stripes and polka dots. :p Lets remember that brocade ties were not at all boring. This would definitely not be worn by stripe lovers:p:
il_570xN.543381943_802h.jpg
il_570xN.543291326_hm8r.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
But it is "loud" and "garish." Hmmmm..there seem to be a double standard here......lol lol

no double standard. most of us who favour the subtle stripes and woven patterns also like the majority of the brocades too. they don't come across as loud and garish.
brocades are generally rich of colour and complex of pattern but not garish.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
@jamespowers

lol

Where did I (or anyone else here) ever claim to like only stripes and dots or that I think 30's brocades are "loud" and "garrish"? :eusa_doh:

Either you (again) misread or you are being facetious... :rolleyes:

Of course the brocades you posted are lovely and the kind of tie I prefer. Right era (pre-Bold Look) and elegant.

They are more similar to their brocade/woven stripe and dot brothers from the era than to the printed "Bold Look" ties with quaint duck hunting scenes or cowboys dancing around.

It's those naive, kitschy motif ties that I dislike - geometrical/abstract "Bold Look" ties can be quite nice with the right outfit.

jamespowers said:
Nah, those figures aren't stylish enough or even near hand painted.

Bah... double standard. If all stripes & dots are the same, so are all cowboys & animals.

Last edited:
no double standard. most of us who favour the subtle stripes and woven patterns also like the majority of the brocades too. they don't come across as loud and garish.
brocades are generally rich of colour and complex of pattern but not garish.

An explosion like the brown tie is not loud and garish?! lol lol lol Ok, now I see the double standard. 30s good---40s-early 50s bad. Ok, now I've go it. lol lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe