Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

DamianM

Vendor
Its wembleys response to palm beach, they even feel similar.
Preistley's Nor-east non crush even made suits to compete with Palm beach.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
funny how the Europeans and Americans have differing thoughts on ties, I'd go with TT and FFF on this and like them all though the top line don't really do it for me the last line really does! , it's something I've noticed before that to me ( and I may be wrong) Europeans appear more conservative when it comes to ties?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
funny how the Europeans and Americans have differing thoughts on ties, I'd go with TT and FFF on this and like them all though the top line don't really do it for me the last line really does! , it's something I've noticed before that to me ( and I may be wrong) Europeans appear more conservative when it comes to ties?

the mid-40s to early 50s wild print and pictorial ties that are popular with many of the U.S. Flers are very strongly linked to a certain look; the late 40s 'bold look' square shouldered, boxy, gabardine, film noir look.

there are very few Europeans who adopt that look outside of the rockabilly, swing, jive-dancing community which is very much an 'Americana' worshipping cult. for the majority of Europeans who want to dress in a 30s-40s everyday European way, these ties are simply too place and era specific to fit seamlessly in to that style (unless you're going for a late 40s 'spiv' look who is consciously adopting U.S. fashions of the time).

I like the bold look ties for the same reason I like Hawaiian shirts, bowling shirts, spectator shoes, and fancy western duds. Loud and crass. I spend all day in work clothes at a blue collar job, invisible to society. The times I don't have to look like the rest of the crowd, I don't want to.

Edit- to be fair, I have plain ties too, for times when they are needed. And really, if you're dressing vintage - conservative or otherwise - you're going to stand out from the crowd anyway.

Last edited:

In the end, follow the money. Which will bring more money on a site like eBay? A boring striped tie or either of those first two ties? We all know the bold ties will because there are just tons of the other stuff wanting for a market. :p

I like the bold look ties for the same reason I like Hawaiian shirts, bowling shirts, spectator shoes, and fancy western duds. Loud and crass. I spend all day in work clothes at a blue collar job, invisible to society. The times I don't have to look like the rest of the crowd, I don't want to.

Edit- to be fair, I have plain ties too, for times when they are needed. And really, if you're dressing vintage - conservative or otherwise - you're going to stand out from the crowd anyway.
Even further in that vein, the best way to brighten up a drab color suit is a bold tie. You aren’t going to wear an entire suit of tie material. The tie is an expression of individuality and self when you wear a suit. When GIs came back from winning the war and five years of constant uniform conformity, they expressed their individuality in ways that they could and the necktie was an accessory that lent itself to flair and style. Hawaiiana, Western style influences and other individuality expressions were also part of that. No more uniform for us. We won.:p

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
In the end, follow the money. Which will bring more money on a site like eBay? A boring striped tie or either of those first two ties? We all know the bold ties will because there are just tons of the other stuff wanting for a market. :p

The market for the bold ties has really dropped off. All of my big sellers have been "boring" ties from the '30s, with the wilder '40s ones not even making the low minimum bids.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
HBK said:
For the majority of Europeans who want to dress in a 30s-40s everyday European way, [Bold Look] ties are simply too place and era specific to fit seamlessly in to that style (unless you're going for a late 40s 'spiv' look who is consciously adopting U.S. fashions of the time).

Exactly.

I do think however that (a continued) different "cultural" style preference also is at play.
As the historical material informs us, the attempt to sell Bold Look ties ("Yankee parrot fashion" as it was called) to the European market around 1950 fell flat.

What is "boring and dull" for the one, is "subtle and elegant" to the other.
Accordingly "loud and colorful" can be seen as "vulgar and gaudy".

Before the mid-40's in Europe and the US alike "elegance" was the style ideal.
In Europe this continued straight on into the 1950's, there wasn't the "fashion revolution" after WW2 that led to the Bold Look in the US.
Rather the Europeans tried to reach back to the pre-war years.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
In Europe this continued straight on into the 1950's, there wasn't the "fashion revolution" after WW2 that led to the Bold Look in the US.

in the UK there was definitely an early 50s attempt to adopt the bolder U.S. influence, albeit in a slightly dilute version. it's during the 50s that i think British menswear loses it's identity for a while as it tries to take on both the U.S. and continental influences.

one thing i've noticed is that many British and European vintage clothing wearers buy the bold U.S. ties when they first get into vintage clothes, then change to the subtle stripes (and other woven designs) of the late 20s-30s once they discover them and never go back to bold ties again. i did it myself.

Last edited:
When I first got interested in and began collecting vintage, as a teenager back in the early 80s, I was buying up skinny late 50s/early 60s ties like these beauties...
7a94f13780b5567338ae1d9ae9989927.jpg

But as I got older my tastes grew to include the wide, bold look ties of the late 40s/early 50s. I suppose that as I have aged, my tastes in clothing styles have grown to reflect what men of my own age demographic would have been wearing at whatever time in the past's look I am going for (most always post-war, 50s/ early 60s usually). When I was a younger man I would have easily rocked a pair of pink pegged slacks and an inch wide tie, but I'm not sure I could pull that off these days.

When I first got interested in and began collecting vintage, as a teenager back in the early 80s, I was buying up skinny late 50s/early 60s ties like these beauties...
7a94f13780b5567338ae1d9ae9989927.jpg

But as I got older my tastes grew to include the wide, bold look ties of the late 40s/early 50s. I suppose that as I have aged, my tastes in clothing styles have grown to reflect what men of my own age demographic would have been wearing at whatever time in the past's look I am going for (most always post-war, 50s/ early 60s usually). When I was a younger man I would have easily rocked a pair of pink pegged slacks and an inch wide tie, but I'm not sure I could pull that off these days.

Your taste HAS grown. Pink pegged pants? :faint:
In the 1980s, many of us who were fashion conscious at the time noticed that the influences of the 1950s did come into our clothing styles then. Even Pierre Cardin came out with a 1955 series of skinny ties then. Skinny ties were never my thing so that never influenced me. I grew out of the striped stuff even back then. A blue suit with a striped tie just didn’t do anything---especially with a white shirt. I found the earlier bold ties fit the bill just as my grandparents did two generations earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe