Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

I have tried to do one of those knots with a modern tie of mine. Those knots look too busy for me, personally. I almost always use a four-in-hand knot, sometimes a half-Windsor, and less frequently a full Windsor knot in which case I pull the tie knot down tightly.

Here is a picture of two of the members of the 1970s (and onward, I got to see them live this year) German electronic band Kraftwerk. The ones wearing ties are Ralf Hütter and Karl Bartos, respectively.

kw34.jpg

The photograph was taken in 1976, and they are wearing very narrow ties for what was fashionable during that period. Could they not have been '70s ties, but ones made during the '60s instead? They look like good ties to me, and Ralf's is very similar to the blue polka dot one I posted back in the other page. Karl wore a black knit tie, although a very thin one. I think Kraftwerk played a role in inspiring the start of the thin ties fashion of the 1980s.

You have to pull the Windsor knot tight or it is just HUGE and stupid looking. lol lol

Those ties are probably older than 1976. They weren’t wearing them that thin in the US at that time. They were acceptable in the 1980s though not at a high level. Pierre Cardin made a flash back 1955 line in 1985. They were thin. I would have bought one if they weren’t thin. :p

Thanks!
Hopefully, there will be some interest in the Towncraft tie even though it appears Shriners-related.
Also hopefully, I'll get back into ebay-ing soon. I've slacked off for the summer. :)

I think you are right about the Mermaid tie and a good example of what I was saying about the last gasp of cool ties being produced in the 1980s.
I agree with DH regarding the Towncraft tie. Imagine being able to get something that cool off the rack at that store now----ain’t going to happen. :doh:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Okay, tie gurus and aficionados... watching the Little League World Series on ESPN last week, and this showed up.

The wearer is a pro athlete-now-commentator who I assume had somebody tie his tie, because he doesn't know how? But I must admit - I kind of like it. Reminiscent of those massive double Winsor knots of the late 60's and early 70's. Sorry for the lack of clarity in the photo, but this was taken from the TV with a digital camera. Ironic, the first TV set photos I ever took were in July, 1969, when Neil was on the moon. No tie in that shot.

I showed this knot a while back. For those that missed it, here's one of my vintage hand painted tie with the trinity knot. It's a little harder to do with a vintage tie because they are shorter, but it can be done.

fedoralover

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Recently, I purchased 30+ ties at St. Vin's and Goodwill in the same area in one day (I still have yet to learn how to post pictures). Of these, two were black Wembley "Nor-East Non-Crush" ties, which makes me wonder if they were "uniform" ties, like those worn by police or park rangers, or if people before the mid-1950s (the ones I have are obviously pre-"Mr.T") wore solid black ties in their mix.

-Quetzal

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
What do you call this particular style of Four-In-Hand/Windsor, where the knot is a different color? Also, is some of the knot's color intended to be seen about an inch below the knot and above the actual design?

-Quetzal

- knot planned

- usually... no , the break in design is hidden within the knot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88