Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
A thing about new ties. They all seem ridiculously long. Even with modern pants. They always go several inches past the waistband with the schoolboy knot. I do not have any vintage ties, and don't wear modern style pants or ties anymore, but my homemade ties (which are 50-54 inches long) only go past my waistband by about an inch or less.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Modern ties length is intended to go with modern-low rise pants and need to be tied in a thick knot (windsor or half-windsor) to accommodate modern spread collars.

@jamespowers
Both are ugly... but there are worse. They would look better if the color was muted and more pastel rather than neon.
I can imagine the pink/green with a grey suit... but I sure won't be the one wearing it. :p

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Not to mention that modern ties have very odd colors. What are you supposed to wear this hideous tie with?

I agree, that is a strange color combination. I wouldn't mind wearing the one on the left as much, the red and yellow striped one.

You're right, though, modern tie lengths are too long, even with lower rise pants. I think they are too long by at least 3 or 4 inches, sometimes more, using four-in-hand knots. Most of them seem to be 57 or 58 inches in length. The problem with these lengths is only worse for narrower ties, as they aren't meant to have big knots, larger than the actual width of the tie itself.

Also, has anyone noticed how rectangular shaped most modern ties are? It seems that they're almost always that straight-sided shape that goes all the way down, with no taper or almost none, except for a slight amount resulting from the knot and dimple. Vintage ties are mostly made with a shape similar to an upside down letter V, except for knit ties, which are straight-sided.

Here is a modern tie I like. This one looks like a good polka dot tie, certainly one I'd wear. Such symmetrical dots are rare to see in one of these types.

il_570xN.314476803.jpg

That is a cool polka dot pattern, but you are right, it is awfully straight. It would look much better about 2" wider at the tip.

Quetzal I just looked, and I have a tie with a map of Florida on it that has the Palm Island, Miami label. I posted it here a while back.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
That is a cool polka dot pattern, but you are right, it is awfully straight. It would look much better about 2" wider at the tip.

Quetzal I just looked, and I have a tie with a map of Florida on it that has the Palm Island, Miami label. I posted it here a while back.

Must've been a souvenir or something back in the day, and I'll look for yours.

-Quetzal

uploadfromtaptalk1380484213542.jpg
Here it is, I went back and found it, and probably you are right, I'd guess Palm Island was a place that catered to vacationers back in the day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth