Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

The Good

Call Me a Cab
No label, though....

palmisland.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's a great tie, it's too bad such ties aren't made and sold today. Are painted ties even a thing at all, anymore, outside of hobbyists that do it themselves? Do any tie companies make painted ties? I'm thinking of palm tree and beach motifs.

Last edited:
That's a great tie, it's too bad such ties aren't made and sold today. Are painted ties even a thing at all, anymore, outside of hobbyists that do it themselves? Do any tie companies make painted ties? I'm thinking of palm tree and beach motifs.

They aren't made today anymore. The last time I saw one was in the 1980s.
They stopped being creative with ties even far before that though.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Not necessarily, there were still some nice-looking polyester (remember most ties that we have were made of a synthetic) ties with neat knots in the 1970s, granted 99% of the male population including myself would prefer to wear the real-deal. As most of us know, there are those geometric "retro ties" from the 1980s out there, and some companies continued to still sell ties with nice prints, such as brown tie with a pheasant printed on it that I saw a few years back on eBay, or some neat knitted and flat-ended ties by Rooster and the like. The problem is that most people didn't buy or wear these as often as they wore those ridiculously thick, stiff, and boxy rather than proportionally wide polyester ties ("Wemlon", "Regalon", "Cutlon"?) with knots larger than the collar, just as some men continued to wear and buy proper felt hats and proper wool suits. Since the 1970s, most companies have sold boxy rather than tapering ties that are too long and that form an unflattering knot, be it a Four-In-Hand or any Windsor unless if you're wearing a wide-collared shirt.

One of these days I'll post a picture of a nice 1980s Kenneth Roberts cotton tie that has a 1930s-ish summer design but looks like a 1950s tie when tied.

-Quetzal

Not necessarily, there were still some nice-looking polyester (remember most ties that we have were made of a synthetic) ties with neat knots in the 1970s, granted 99% of the male population including myself would prefer to wear the real-deal. As most of us know, there are those geometric "retro ties" from the 1980s out there, and some companies continued to still sell ties with nice prints, such as brown tie with a pheasant printed on it that I saw a few years back on eBay, or some neat knitted and flat-ended ties by Rooster and the like. The problem is that most people didn't buy or wear these as often as they wore those ridiculously thick, stiff, and boxy rather than proportionally wide polyester ties ("Wemlon", "Regalon", "Cutlon"?) with knots larger than the collar, just as some men continued to wear and buy proper felt hats and proper wool suits. Since the 1970s, most companies have sold boxy rather than tapering ties that are too long and that form an unflattering knot, be it a Four-In-Hand or any Windsor unless if you're wearing a wide-collared shirt.

One of these days I'll post a picture of a nice 1980s Kenneth Roberts cotton tie that has a 1930s-ish summer design but looks like a 1950s tie when tied.

-Quetzal

I need examples. It is hard to imagine anything "70s tie" as decent. lol lol I remember finding a few decent ties on the racks in the 80s though.

Okay, tie gurus and aficionados... watching the Little League World Series on ESPN last week, and this showed up.

The wearer is a pro athlete-now-commentator who I assume had somebody tie his tie, because he doesn't know how? But I must admit - I kind of like it. Reminiscent of those massive double Winsor knots of the late 60's and early 70's. Sorry for the lack of clarity in the photo, but this was taken from the TV with a digital camera. Ironic, the first TV set photos I ever took were in July, 1969, when Neil was on the moon. No tie in that shot.

Last edited:
Looks like what's called a "Trinity" knot, which, along with the "Eldridge", is apparently the thing with the über-fashionable set these days.

Thanks, Dale. I knew somebody around here would be way ahead of me on this one. Does this mean I'm sartorially falling behind?!

And here are instructions for either the Trinity OR the Eldridge...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnlYXoCOwc

I didn't think I was going to learn anything new today. But, Dale, you changed that, thank you!

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have tried to do one of those knots with a modern tie of mine. Those knots look too busy for me, personally. I almost always use a four-in-hand knot, sometimes a half-Windsor, and less frequently a full Windsor knot in which case I pull the tie knot down tightly.

I need examples. It is hard to imagine anything "70s tie" as decent. lol lol I remember finding a few decent ties on the racks in the 80s though.

Here is a picture of two of the members of the 1970s (and onward, I got to see them live this year) German electronic band Kraftwerk. The ones wearing ties are Ralf Hütter and Karl Bartos, respectively.

kw34.jpg

The photograph was taken in 1976, and they are wearing very narrow ties for what was fashionable during that period. Could they not have been '70s ties, but ones made during the '60s instead? They look like good ties to me, and Ralf's is very similar to the blue polka dot one I posted back in the other page. Karl wore a black knit tie, although a very thin one. I think Kraftwerk played a role in inspiring the start of the thin ties fashion of the 1980s.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dale. I knew somebody around here would be way ahead of me on this one. Does this mean I'm sartorially falling behind?!

And here are instructions for either the Trinity OR the Eldridge...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnlYXoCOwc

I didn't think I was going to learn anything new today. But, Dale, you changed that, thank you!

Be sure to post pics of your efforts Charlie:D

If I were going to wear a knot like one of those I'd need a tie six feet long. I'm 6'2" and have a size 18 neck. Any knot other than a four-in-hand and the tie barely clears my sternum. Fortunately, I do not have, nor ever had, a job that requires one. I only wear them when the rare occasion calls for one, such as going to a church service or enjoying a proper cocktail.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars

They're out there, but very uncommon, obviously not sold in stores like Sears or Penney's when people of all classes purchased their clothing there. I've seen some in old family photos, but alas, they are now all gone.

-Quetzal

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Here's a couple recent acquisitions:
An 80s (I think) pretty cool polyester mermaid tie by Carnival de Paris:

P1080081.JPG P1080082.JPG

And some help with dating please, on this one:
A Towncraft Deluxe Cravat, Resilient Contstruction, Fabric Loomed in USA.
Sabre Stripes (Shriners?):
P1080078.jpg P1080080.jpg

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
The town craft label looks like 40s.
The mermaid tie is really cool!

Thanks!
Hopefully, there will be some interest in the Towncraft tie even though it appears Shriners-related.
Also hopefully, I'll get back into ebay-ing soon. I've slacked off for the summer. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth