Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

From today, a skinny tie (2") that I inherited from my father: c.early/mid-'60s, black with off-white motifs, no label, feels likes rayon/acetate.

f4426437-7c34-4260-b722-c494249558ac_zpsabb0f666.jpg

Everybody stand back while I shoot that Tie Shark off that tie before it starts biting!:laser:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I actually like that skinny tie. As to say when I am looking at any second hand shop, (good will, etc.,) I think for the most part it is not hard to tell vintage from junk....most vintage ties will have a tag that tells you it has been around in "old Roy's" closet for the past 40 some odd years or more...and then how a tie is made back in the day (which a few have already touched upon). However, the name of a tie, brand name, some of that is a dead give away that the tie is vintage, as you already know some tie companies have been "gone" for years. The texture of the material also at times can be of some indication. I know if Widebrim or James Powers picks up a tie in a Goodwill store and feels the material they will know by the "hand" of the tie it is potentially vintage. Of course some ties are dated (some not many) but I have seen a date on a tag/label a few times. Not hard to accept if you spot a tie, look at the tag, and in a hand written fashion you see the name Abe Lincoln, you have one old tie there. I am far from a "master" when it comes to anything vintage but have learned a lot just reading what the more expert loungers here point out. Even a few years ago a "wilson" tie would not have any more merit to it than a "hollyvogue" brand name. Now I have learned to pay attention to those small yet important details. Needless to say not all my ties are vintage but, it is really nice to have one that is and that is looks "perfect" with what you desire to wear it with. My oldest tie I think is a towncraft. The tag looked like it was from right out of the movie, "The Ten Commandments" and fell off after I wore it a few times. Please do spank me for ranting and rambling...but I do appreciate ties to say the least and the information all you supply us novice owners.

I actually like that skinny tie. As to say when I am looking at any second hand shop, (good will, etc.,) I think for the most part it is not hard to tell vintage from junk....most vintage ties will have a tag that tells you it has been around in "old Roy's" closet for the past 40 some odd years or more...and then how a tie is made back in the day (which a few have already touched upon). However, the name of a tie, brand name, some of that is a dead give away that the tie is vintage, as you already know some tie companies have been "gone" for years. The texture of the material also at times can be of some indication. I know if Widebrim or James Powers picks up a tie in a Goodwill store and feels the material they will know by the "hand" of the tie it is potentially vintage. Of course some ties are dated (some not many) but I have seen a date on a tag/label a few times. Not hard to accept if you spot a tie, look at the tag, and in a hand written fashion you see the name Abe Lincoln, you have one old tie there. I am far from a "master" when it comes to anything vintage but have learned a lot just reading what the more expert loungers here point out. Even a few years ago a "wilson" tie would not have any more merit to it than a "hollyvogue" brand name. Now I have learned to pay attention to those small yet important details. Needless to say not all my ties are vintage but, it is really nice to have one that is and that is looks "perfect" with what you desire to wear it with. My oldest tie I think is a towncraft. The tag looked like it was from right out of the movie, "The Ten Commandments" and fell off after I wore it a few times. Please do spank me for ranting and rambling...but I do appreciate ties to say the least and the information all you supply us novice owners.
The Wilson Yellowstone ties were great. So were the REAL Botany ties---not Botany 500---before that. Hut made some great knot planned ties and Hollyvogue made a slue of good examples. I am sure we have a list of the great brands somewhere in this thread. I might be able to tell the feel of a vintage tie. :p I think my oldest is around turn of the century. They were pretty plain back then.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I like that one JP, I often find it difficult to get true colour representation especially on lustrous silk/silk effect ties, case in point...I bought these three today along with three other 'retro' NEXT silk ties from the 80's.....these three though I think are a little earlier?
fronts
2dujcdi.jpg

backs
14c70ap.jpg

small end back
2565rp1.jpg

The Tooke tie is 51" long with a 2 3/8" end, label on 'TOOKE' tie
zxysg.jpg
29w7ntz.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
The Christian Dior paisley tie feels like silk? but has no labels/keeper or any sign of ever having one, it is 52" long with tip being a tad over 3"
The 'NEATWEAR' tie is 51" long tip is 3 1/8" and is made in England from poly/crimplene not silk but a nice weave and pattern that the photo's don't do justice to;
4pv4lk.jpg

The Tooke tie is a deeper red than phto's suggest with a crepe almost bark effect weave it's areal beauty despite I guess being some sort of man made fabric?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/camerapictures009-6_zps5daeae03.jpg.html] [/URL][URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/camerapictures012-7_zps399fb43e.jpg.html] [/URL][URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/camerapictures008-6_zps7e07557b.jpg.html] [/URL]

The very last picture you can sort of see the material, it is so nice a very fine weave that is off on an angle! This is a tie I was fortunate enough to have purchased from Lee, and I have to tell you I am in love with this tie. It is not white, not ivory, just one of a kind color, very delicate fabric, reminds me of a mix of silk and linen, but as you can tell, I had my "swordfish" moment going on....have the vintage tie clasps and cuff links to match up the swordies on the tie! I can wear this tie with almost anything I have suit or sportcoat attire and it will be one of my favorites now.

All I can say is thank you so very much, Lee, I am more than happy with owning this one...it is a "keeper"! lol!

[URL="http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/camerapictures009-6_zps5daeae03.jpg.html"] [/URL][URL="http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/camerapictures012-7_zps399fb43e.jpg.html"] [/URL][URL="http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/camerapictures008-6_zps7e07557b.jpg.html"] [/URL]

The very last picture you can sort of see the material, it is so nice a very fine weave that is off on an angle! This is a tie I was fortunate enough to have purchased from Lee, and I have to tell you I am in love with this tie. It is not white, not ivory, just one of a kind color, very delicate fabric, reminds me of a mix of silk and linen, but as you can tell, I had my "swordfish" moment going on....have the vintage tie clasps and cuff links to match up the swordies on the tie! I can wear this tie with almost anything I have suit or sportcoat attire and it will be one of my favorites now.

All I can say is thank you so very much, Lee, I am more than happy with owning this one...it is a "keeper"! lol!

Go easy with those tie sharks. They'll eat your tie:
:p
Shark-tie-tall.png

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Oh this one "slides" onto the tie, no "clasp" with those gator clips with sharkies teeth on it! I have maybe one or two with the teeth, but rarely use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe