Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
All of these I picked up on ebay at the end of last year, apart from the second on the right. I ended up paying a whopping 12 bucks.
Although I had to go and pick them up I felt somewhat embarrassed, only giving the seller that much, but hey he was happy, and so was I.
ties 33.jpg

All of these I picked up on ebay at the end of last year, apart from the second on the right. I ended up paying a whopping 12 bucks.
Although I had to go and pick them up I felt somewhat embarrassed, only giving the seller that much, but hey he was happy, and so was I.
View attachment 452
Those are all great examples! The second from the left looks like it is a knot planned tie too. Bonus!

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
those are awesome. Are they American or Australian? They would be rather bold for Australian ties of the era …

Yes I do not think they would be Australian, the second from the right is a Sears, the boat tie is unmarked, the middle one is unmarked, second from left is marked with the name Panels, and resilient construction. And the far left is marked Carholm Cravat Gold Seal, all I believe to be are silk apart from the paisley design from Sears. I will be honest I have never really had a good assortment of ties in the past, but I have had so many comments about these when I wear them perhaps, I may catch the tie collecting bug.
Thanks all for your kind comments to..

Yes I do not think they would be Australian, the second from the right is a Sears, the boat tie is unmarked, the middle one is unmarked, second from left is marked with the name Panels, and resilient construction. And the far left is marked Carholm Cravat Gold Seal, all I believe to be are silk apart from the paisley design from Sears. I will be honest I have never really had a good assortment of ties in the past, but I have had so many comments about these when I wear them perhaps, I may catch the tie collecting bug.
Thanks all for your kind comments to..

Nothing like wearing a good looking tie. It finishes an outfit.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
On my way back from visiting a client today I noticed a previously undiscovered (to me!) charity shop a quick look around saw quite a few very well priced suits c 1970's-90's but little else but they did have plenty of ties, nothing really exciting, rare or vintage but here's four I picked up for 30 pence each!.... I gave them £2 anyway.
fmqv84.jpg
34dmvly.jpg

b69b1t.jpg
2z6ct8n.jpg

8w0hhs.jpg

They are all silk apart from the c 50's/60's? Akco which is raised weave polyester, it's also 5 inches shorter than the other with a tip just under 3" as opposed to the others being around 3 1/2" wide, the 'checked' M&S one does'nt really show up well and has a more golden and lustrous finish to it, it's really quite nice, the blue Jaeger is almost a crepe silk background.

Last edited:

phebus

One of the Regulars
I was using the keeper as a first step in filtering through all of the thrift shop ties.
Once I pulled out the ones without keepers, I measured them to look for the shorter, sub-55" long ones. (because I'm only interested in '60's or older)

I swear I can't tell any other way, except more modern ties have tags that appear more modern, but there are obviously a lot of gray areas there.
Is there any other way for me to date them? maybe the way they're constructed?
If anyone has any secrets to dating vintage thrift shop ties, please let me know!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I go for the shorter ties with unlined tip. Of course there is still some room for dating them (slim 50s and 60s ties can be unlined too) but it is a start.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I was using the keeper as a first step in filtering through all of the thrift shop ties.
Once I pulled out the ones without keepers, I measured them to look for the shorter, sub-55" long ones. (because I'm only interested in '60's or older)

I swear I can't tell any other way, except more modern ties have tags that appear more modern, but there are obviously a lot of gray areas there.
Is there any other way for me to date them? maybe the way they're constructed?
If anyone has any secrets to dating vintage thrift shop ties, please let me know!

There are various indicators which can help you to date a necktie. If one of the "regulars" of this thread can find a past post which goes into this, please do so. Regarding "keeper's," generally speaking they became more common in the 1960s, and often would say something like, "Slide small tie end through here." As has been pointed out, though, they were produced rather sporadically in earlier eras. If you see a tie with a keeper, and the length of the former is really "short" for modern standards (about 54" or less), then it likely is a vintage example.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
They produced that bold, very large paisley pattern in a variety of colours. I think I have it in a light blue. But, yes, during the fifties they were producing ties that were quite different to other British tie manufacturers, as far as I can tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe