Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Some more cufflinks

I've been trying to get some nice cufflinks ever since a seller "lost" mine a few months back.
this first batch I got for the set of airplane links. Then there's the other stuff, most of which seems pretty interesting. We'll see what exactly's there when it arrives.

55278488_o.jpg

55278534_o-1.jpg

The next ones I got mainly for the crabs and the bowling set, but some of the other ones are really neat too.

picture_212.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The first little box came today. Very nice stuff.

cuff11.jpg

two sets of these airplane cufflinks, and a matching tie clip
cuff12.jpg

enameled snap cufflinks
cuff10.jpg

I'm not a doctor of veterinary medicine, but I play one on TV
cuff8.jpg

a set of lapel pins? They have a post and another disk. Seeing as there are two, and they're the right size, you could almost use them as cufflinks.
cuff4.jpg

happy birthday pin
cuff5.jpg

Broken Arrow? lapel pin
cuff7.jpg

What is this? It's military- any ideas?
cuff6.jpg

tie clip
cuff9.jpg

then I have 20 odd years of service pins for Leigh products, and a lot more interesting things.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Did a little bit of research-The Modern 1881 pins are from the The Knights of the Maccabees, a fraternal organization.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thanks, Wingnut.
From what you gave me, I was able to look mine up online, and found that it's the 24mm non magnetic, rounded striped variety with no makers mark.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
You're welcome.

It's likely sterling. Use Never-Dull or Tarn-X on the center section and it'll look like new.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'd speculate it has nothing to do with the military term. It's unlikely that a set of cufflinks referring to a secret code for a accident involving nuclear weapons would be produced.

I'd imagine that they're related to the town of Broken Arrow, OK or the ranch of the same name.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
1930s linen, wool and silk ties

I found all 4 of these at a thrift shop in the basement of a Korean church today, priced at a quarter each.
None have any kind of damage or staining, which shocked me a bit.

I can't say I've ever seen vintage linen ties before, but these are absolutely spotless and crisp, which I'd imagine would be rare for a white tie, what with the visibility of stains. Looks like they've never been worn.
And I got two colors, one black and yellow, and the other gray and red.
They are both just shy of 44 inches long.
linentieyellow.jpg

linentiered.jpg

The next one is a wool tie. The top edges of the stripes have a sheen to them, maybe there's some silk woven in? I don't know.
44-1/2" long
brownyelloworangestripedtie.jpg

The last one is silk. The pattern is all woven into the fabric. Very cool take on a striped tie.
46" long
brownyellowstripedtie.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Ties

Careful Dinerman!... The seething jealousy of fellow FLers at you wonderful finds may overwhelm their (usually) sane dispositions ;) :p :rage: :D :eusa_clap.

I have an interesting find myself. I have not posted it yet but it is a Palm Beach fabric tie (like a linen) and made with a fold and pressed at the back rather than a stitching approach.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Look what I found !

While trying to clean up some things in my Dad's basement this weekend, I found two boxes full of old neck ties. There are about 30 of them, all in like-new condition. All are silk, and most are 2 to 2 1/2 inches wide. Dad had marked on the box "January 24, 1970". When I asked him about the ties, he said that he used to have a lot of really nice ties from the 40's and early 50's that, when the narrow ties came into style, he threw out. He said that he always wished he had kept them, because the wider style eventually came back in. So, when the narrow tie went out, he boxed up what he had, dated the boxes (even put a couple of news papers from January 24, 1970 in the box), and put them away. He said he had forgotten all about them until I dug them out from storage.

It was like finding a time capsule of sorts. All those really great ties, and the old papers to boot! Here are a couple pictures of the ties:

DSC02137.jpg

These are some of what I thought were really nice, and took them out to start wearing myself:

DSC02138.jpg

The price tag is still on the back of one tie. All of the ties were bought at "The Man's Store" in Asheville, NC where my Dad bought all his cloths.

DSC02142.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
"New" Shoes, and other thrift shop finds

Today was the Olney women's board hospital thrift shop bazaar, where thy have a big fair, with fried chicken, and they drag out all the good stuff from the thrift shop. I made out like a bandit.
I was surprised to find these shoes in my exact size, a 12 B. What do you think?

IMG_3897.jpg

funneman

Practically Family
Good food, great shoes!

What a day!

I recently picked up a pair of Bostonians just like those, at Marshalls.

I'm wearing them as I write, wear them all the time.

Enjoy!

How was the chicken?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The chicken was great. Making it fresh and in enormous batches really does something for it.

Also made out with 4 '30s ties, 6 Scottish/English wool ties, 1 odd silk knit tie, 2 hats, 2 collar bars, and a first edition (1931) of "The Murder of Steven Kester"
I'll get some pictures of the rest of it up soon. Total for all was just over 50 bucks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust