Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
wow- I have no idea how that thing works. Maybe the ties hang over the little metal things? Maybe they clip in?
I've never seen anything like it before.

You don't find many paisley or "Persian-inspired" (they were marketed this way at various times in the 30s and 40s) from the 1930s or 1940s - at least i don't find many. This particular one i found in a charity shop in Walthamstow the other day. A purple base with printed paisley/Persian pattern. British, and from the late 40s, i think. Works okay with this suit:

PaisleyTie1.jpg
DiagonalTweed2.jpg

On a side note, i'm very pleased to find that the brits seemed to have stayed away from the super-wide bellywarmer-type ties that were so popular in the US, and have such a following here. Though i like the patterns (mostly) those crazy wide 40s ties just don't work for me.

bk

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's the only good ties from that lot of 36.
I tried my hand at putting dates to them. Tie experts, how'd I do?
IMG_3210.jpg

From left:
Botany (1930s)
Cardinal (1930s?, and how 'bout that logo?)
no name, "individually hand painted" ('50s) pretty stained
Jack Henry ('40s)
Regal ('40s, pretty cool to see a tie with classic artwork on it that's not so tacky like modern art ties)
Arrow ('40s)
no name ('40s/'50s?)
no name ('40s? and if it weren't so darn short and shaped the way it is, I'd sweat this pattern was '70s)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Cookie. You mount it horizontally, not vertically, and just drape the ties over the little hooks., like on the box in this terrible picture
ce81_1_b.jpg

Baron Kurtz said:
oh, there's nothing wrong with pacifiers, surely! ;)

Seriously, nice ties. I can't imagine they'd be a problem for posting here. if only for the label on that one (the little guy sitting on the spurting tube of paint - ooh, err missus) it is worth the money.

bk

Heheheheeh! Yeah they are pacifier holders actually. As an aside, the funny thing is that my son likes to chew on the holder better than the pacifier. [huh] :eusa_doh: :p
Leave the elf alone. He's a good artist. ;) :p
I thought it would make an interesting tie. You really can't see the bottom half unless I take off the jacket anyway. ;) :D

Regards,

J

My obsession with tie tags is taking on absurd proportions. I have begun a "racist oddities" collection of ties from the 30s and 40s - most of which certainly cannot be posted here. Some of them are just plain wrong in a way i didn't think was possible from a tie.

That Elf (he's an Elf is he?) is so cool.

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
My obsession with tie tags is taking on absurd proportions. I have begun a "racist oddities" collection of ties from the 30s and 40s - most of which certainly cannot be posted here. Some of them are just plain wrong in a way i didn't think was possible from a tie.

That Elf (he's an Elf is he?) is so cool.

bk

How wrong is wrong? I saw the native tie that you posted. That wasn't really wrong. It just was. I suppose it depends on who sees them? [huh]
Now my collection of handpainted nude ties is another story. :D

Regards,

J

P.S. OH yes, and he is an elf. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust