Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picked these two up today:

p1010222ob9.jpg

p1010225dx9.jpg

There are no tags on the blue/white one. The blue is 2 5/8" wide and the Marathon is 3 1/8". $1.58 for the pair.

Would these be 20s ties?

AlanC

I don't know. I'm still new to vintage tie dating. The rolled edge construction would indicate older than '50s, wouldn't it? A friend of mine on another forum who's a Brit enthusiast thought the T&A lettering looked '50s, though. I need to pull out my T&A book and see if it might help.

It's so hard to tell without having it to look at in person. But i have in my hands here a mid-late 50s British one i picked up yesterday and it has rolled edges . . .

Also, the font on the label of my one looks just like yours - though it's not by the same company (mine by Sharps, a rather less exclusive tie, methinks).

bk

AlanC

Interesting. I guess the English houses must have kept that older construction style going longer than popular US brands. If you get a chance, I'd love to see a pic of your Sharps.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
"new" tie clip

I was given this yesterday by my piano teacher's husband. They don't have kids, and he knows all about my vintage collection, so he gave me this. It was his grandfather's.

It's an anson, and the ends are hinged and on springs, so unlike my other "through the tie" tie clips, you don't have to wrestle the tie through a slot that's less than an inch wide.

IMG_2982.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Arrow tie clips were common enough to acheive 'icon' status. The first vintage tie clip I bought was an arrow, I've seen many in pictures.

Neat that you know the history behind it!

Rooster

Practically Family
Some of you are old pros at dating these ties. Are there any general rules of thumb when placing a date on these vintage ties. I have about a dozen or so, and by reading the whole thread here I'm starting to pick out the hints a bit. 50" and less are the earlier ones, but how early?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally