Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

John in Covina said:
:eusa_clap
Yes sir! Those are pretty cool! I have one that is that type, James spoke about these briefly at the FL-QM event and there is a specific name for the style but I don't recall what it is right now.

They are called knot planned ties. One of my favorite tie "novelties." They took a lot of planning to get the knot to work out on every tie and to have the pattern correctly placed on the fabric so they could be cut easily. I think Hut did quite a number of patterns at the time---and I don't mean pizza hut or Jabba the. :p

!B2S0!GgBGk~$(KGrHqMOKkUE)O!kH,bpBMh62F0rI!~~_35.JPG

Baron Kurtz said:
Autumn Leaves. I guess the blue is supposed to be shadow. Made and Hand Painted in California. What do you guys reckon? Late 1940s?

AutumnLeavesTie1.jpg

AutumnLeavesTie2.jpg

bk

Easily 40s up to about 51. California was a tie design center after the war and during it for that matter. We just had the material that no one else had at the time so we filled in for the fashion mavens. ;)
It definitely isn't from modern times here, as I have mentioned before, because all they paint on cloth out here is Che. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Easily 40s up to about 51. California was a tie design center after the war and during it for that matter. We just had the material that no one else had at the time so we filled in for the fashion mavens. ;)
It definitely isn't from modern times here, as I have mentioned before, because all they paint on cloth out here is Che. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: :p

Correct on Baron Kurtz's tie. We certainly were the tie design center of the world after WWII.

Well, I looked at the bow ties mentioned, and as it turns out, the pink one I wouldn't date to anywhere before the 1940s. There are no maker's labels, but the adjustment mechanism doesn't seem very old. Same for the brown polka dot one. The blue polka dot one has some age, going by the label. It's made by McCurrach, i'll get a pic up of the label. Incidentally, it is rounded points, not rounded ends.

jamespowers said:
The polka dotted ones and the pink one look quite old. Are they from the 20s or before? Any labels? They look like the old Four in Hands that you find from that time.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Well, I looked at the bow ties mentioned, and as it turns out, the pink one I wouldn't date to anywhere before the 1940s. There are no maker's labels, but the adjustment mechanism doesn't seem very old. Same for the brown polka dot one. The blue polka dot one has some age, going by the label. It's made by McCurrach, i'll get a pic up of the label. Incidentally, it is rounded points, not rounded ends.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll make a rounded one like the pink to see how it looks. Need to find a modern tie in a charity shop.

Baron Kurtz said:

Ah, I thought they were neckties not bowties. My mistake there. :eusa_doh:
McCurrach is one of my favorite brands up there with Damon Originals and Hollyvogue. You are probably right about the age. McCurrach was popular in the 1940s and they made some great neckties.

Baron Kurtz said:
I always wondered how many of these ties were actually painted in CA, and how many were just using that as a marketing ploy, with apparently 50% of the US population desirous of moving to CA after WWII.[huh]

bk

They actually were painted out here. California---especially certain parts of Southern California and Northern California were draws for artists of all kinds. They had a large pool to draw from who could actually paint very well.
I think 50% of the population did move to California after the war. It certainly changed the population size and culture in many ways. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21