Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Tinseltown, I don't know about the vintage-factor, but I do know cute when I see it! Why aren't you keeping both of them? I suppose the navy would probably match more, but I'm a sucker for red polka dots. Are these eBay finds?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow KimB that brooch is exquisite, just lovely. I am green with envy!
Honey Doll, your brooch is beautiful as well. You both are making me want to go search ebay for more brooches! Which I shouldn't do because I just bought these two dresses, and I'm watching a few more.
The first dress is a navy knit dress with matching bolero from the 50's. This is my first 50's purchase, but I've been looking for a dress like this for a while.
beaddressset005.jpg

beaddressset006.jpg

The second is a salmon long dress from the 40's. I just bought a dress in the same color from the same seller that I'm very happy with. She is a great seller and very good with her measurements. I'm not one to alter the overall look of a vintage dress, but since I just bought a gown in the same color I'm contemplating shortening this one to cocktail length. I kind of feel terribly about altering a piece of history. Anyone have any suggestions? What do you think if I shorten this to below the knee? Keep in mind I do already have a gown in the same exact color. I highly value all of your advice and any advice you have to give might make me feel better about the decision that I make:) I'm including a pic from the seller of the dress pinned up so you can see what it would look like shorter. I guess I will have to wait until I see it in person, it is really pretty long but I would get more use out of a shorter dress.
Cimg1900.jpg
Cimg1908.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

Daisy Buchanan said:
Wow KimB that brooch is exquisite, just lovely. I am green with envy!
Honey Doll, your brooch is beautiful as well. You both are making me want to go search ebay for more brooches! Which I shouldn't do because I just bought these two dresses, and I'm watching a few more.
The first dress is a navy knit dress with matching bolero from the 50's. This is my first 50's purchase, but I've been looking for a dress like this for a while.
beaddressset005.jpg

beaddressset006.jpg

The second is a salmon long dress from the 40's. I just bought a dress in the same color from the same seller that I'm very happy with. She is a great seller and very good with her measurements. I'm not one to alter the overall look of a vintage dress, but I'm not crazy about the length of this dress, it's ankle length. Since I just bought a gown in the same color I'm contemplating shortening this one to cocktail length. I kind of feel terribly about altering a piece of history. Anyone have any suggestions? What do you think if I shorten this to below the knee? Keep in mind I do already have a gown in the same exact color. I highly value all of your advice and any advice you have to give might make me feel better about the decision that I make:) I'm including a pic from the seller of the dress pinned up so you can see what it would look like shorter. I guess I will have to wait until I see it in person, it is really pretty long but I would get more use out of a shorter dress.
Cimg1900.jpg
Cimg1908.jpg

DAISY! I love that navy set. As for the coral/salmon/peachy dress, I would leave it as-is and save it for more formal occasions since you already have a dress you can wear that is that color. But, then again, wearability is important, and I suspect women in the 40s altered their hemlines a lot. Have you received the dresses yet?

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks Miss Bella. I haven't received them yet, I just won them this morning. Well I didn't really win them, they were BIN.
I will probably end up leaving it the length it is. But I have quite a few gowns (I'm a sucker for gowns) that I never get any use out of. This one would be the easiest to alter. I guess I'll have to wait until I get it. Knowing me, once I see it I won't be able to alter it. I just wish that I had more occasions to wear my more formal dresses.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Daisy, both of your dresses are beautiful, but that navy set is my favorite (although your peachy/coral dress would match my new brooch...it's a good thing we aren't the same size!:p )

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Both of those dresses are lovely, Daisy, and how wonderful that the knit set came with its original belt.
As for shortening the salmon one, I would probably leave it alone as well--I think it is more striking in the full length. I actually discovered that one of the 1940s dresses in my closet had been shortened at some point in its life, and when I let down the hem I realized I had a stunning, full-length evening gown. This worked out perfectly for me, because it had been hemmed to a length that I don't find as flattering on me, and so I had never worn it. :)

Tinseltown, I vote for the red polka dot shoes. They are too cute!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Just ordered yesterday!

Kim_B said:
Yep, I just opened up my shop last week! I make jewelry and a few people were asking if I sell any of it, so I thought I'd give it a try. My shop name is ThePeachMartini.

:eek:fftopic: Out of curiosity, how smoothly did your transaction go? I can PM you since it's a little off topic :rolleyes:

I just bought it late last night. My will-power seriously ebbs late at night!

I'll PM when I get it and let you know how the whole deal was!

Honey Doll

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Kimberly said:
Thanks, I always thought they were called knickers. lol I learn so much here on a daily basis. :D

Knickers or knickerbockers are smaller through the leg and coming into the band at the knee. Plus twos have a two inch over hang from the knee and plus fours have a four inch overhang. Typically they were worn by golfers as they afforded plenty of freedom for movement although they were also worn as a casual wear.

My boyfriend loves vintage so I learn along with him, although I already knoe these facts. It's quite fun to research along with him.

epr25

Practically Family
Shearer said:
goldwyn_girl, that dress is really cute. The pattern looks neato.

I had my own dry spell, but I snagged two things I had my eye on.

This 40's musical motif dress...

musicalmain.jpg

And these sunglasses (purses and sunglasses are my Achilles heel)...

sunglasses2.jpg

That is so crazy I have exactly the same sun glasses. I got them a couple years ago at a church sale and love them. I wear them all the time.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:
Tinseltown, I don't know about the vintage-factor, but I do know cute when I see it! Why aren't you keeping both of them? I suppose the navy would probably match more, but I'm a sucker for red polka dots. Are these eBay finds?
Hah, maybe I should.
No, they're actually from a Target/Walmart kind of place in my country.

Would it be a stretch to say that they're kinda 50's kitschy? lol

Daisy Buchanan

I just won this pretty crepe navy dress on the bay. I like the shape of it. It's gonna be a bit loose at the waist, but that's an easy fix. It does have a few, from what the seller says, very small holes in the skirt. He said that between wearing a dark slip, which I would do anyway, and the folds of the skirt, the holes are not noticeable at all. I have purchased quite a few vintage pieces from him in the past and have been very satisfied, so I trust that he is being honest. Also, he rarely has reserves or high first bids, unless the item is exceptional. I normally wouldn't buy a dress with any sort of tear in it, for I am a terrible mender. But, I trust this seller. It's very rare that I actually trust an ebay seller, given the past experiences I've had. Anyway, here's the dress. I think the pictures might not do the color justice. UhOh, I jsut realized that this is the 2nd blue dress I bought today!:eek: Oh well, they don't look anything alike at all:)
88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Daisy, your recent eBay windfall is most impressive.

These dresses are darling. I particuarly like the navy knit one. I have a thing for knit dresses. It's prolly just the knitter in me.

NAVY ROCKS!

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic:

Daisy,

Isn't there some fancy pub or restaurant with dancing you can goto on the weekendsto get some wear out of your gowns ? I always see the ladys in the classic movies dressed up at a bar or restaurant just having a drink ;)

Shearer

Practically Family
epr25 said:
That is so crazy I have exactly the same sun glasses. I got them a couple years ago at a church sale and love them. I wear them all the time.

What a small world it is! I love the flowers on the frames... I'm itching to get them now that spring has sprung, but they're being shipped from the other side of the country :eusa_doh:

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Daisy, Daisy, Daisy.... you make me green with envy whenever I click in this treat.... I don´t know what size of clothes you are, but if you ever want to get rid of your georgous stuff let me know :D

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Can I confess? I'm not even sure I should be posting my non-$10 club purchase here but I must share my gorgeous new somewhat vintage-inspired shoes:

peeptoe.jpg

I can't give you any further details (a handbag, too) because I might expire from the shame alone.

And I mean to repent, I really do but then I read the fruit thread and saw these shoes:

B000P8X12Q.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...8006?_encoding=UTF8&m=A242Z34VYGHM9W&v=glance

and now I am imagining how great it would look with a red sundress... Maybe that simplicity pattern I saw in the sewing discussion? or one of the new vintage vogue sundresses? http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2961=x&TI=20001&page=1

Decisions, decisions...

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I must share my gorgeous new somewhat vintage-inspired shoes:

Alright Pina, lay it on us sister.. where'd ya get those adorable shoes?? I've never seen anything like them! Gorgeous indeed!
I've been eyeing those cherry print ones myself...
What's a girl to do.[huh]

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82