Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

carldelo

One Too Many
Perfect for a "formal" dinner at your backwoods hunting lodge.

Exactly - I am reminded of Leslie Howard in "The 49th Parallel", playing a backwoods poet and art lover living in a teepee on the shores of Lake Louise, who has a run-in with a band of rogue Nazis. A great bit of wartime propaganda with a stupendous cast (Raymond Massey, Laurence Olivier, Glynis Johns, et. al.)

Last edited:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I really don't know what to make of this one, but it was interesting and the price was right.

Du-Val Toronto (Durable Values, est. 1924)
Styled by Devonshire Toronto

No vent, wide '40s style shoulders, link-button closure, no inside pockets, old-style label, no breast pocket. Fully lined, with taped seams on the insides of the patch pockets. It's like a '40s-'50s shawl collar tuxedo jacket meets a '40s-'50s casual jacket. Except it's brown corduroy. Hmmmm.

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

Very cool!
That's in the same vein as Bing Crosby's denim tuxedo.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Exactly - I am reminded of Leslie Howard in "The 49th Parallel", playing a backwoods poet and art lover living in a teepee on the shores of Lake Louise, who has a run-in with a band of rogue Nazis. A great bit of wartime propaganda with a stupendous cast (Raymond Massey, Laurence Olivier, Glynis Johns, et. al.)

Don't forget the fantastic Eric Portman (who though largely forgotten, turns up in some great films of the 1940s). And who could forget Laurence Olivier's ludicrous French-Canadian accent (which I always believed was the inspiration for Peter Sellers accent as Inspector Clouseau).

As for that jacket: splendid. It reminds me of a 1950s dinner suit I used to own. It was in shiny brown satin. As a teenager in the early 1980s I thought I looked cool - I suspect no one agreed with me!

Gene

Practically Family
Found this kind of unusual 3-button jacket at Goodwill the other day. Super-flecked and "nubby," skeleton lining with features of a late 50's/early 60's jacket....Pre-'62 union label, typical short vent.

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
First sport coat!

Picked up this lil beaut at the Goodwill in Bellingham today for $12.99; fits like it was made for me and it's in excellent condition:D. It isn't exactly vintage, but I'm kind of excited about it.
jacketqi.jpg

It has lovely horn (possibly imitation horn) buttons that have a certain rustic charm. I really like the fabric too.
front2rr.jpg

And the sleeves. Sadly no surgeon's cuffs and no belt back, but that's not surprising. I still think it's a charming little jacket, and I was so excited I went and bought a button down oxford shirt in pale blue to go with it.
sleevec.jpg

The crazy thing was, there was a gorgeous and VERY vintage looking 3 piece navy blue wool suit with a chalk stripe. I'm new to this whole golden era thing, but it sure looked a heck of a lot like something out of the 20's or 30s. Would have snapped it up if it wasn't for the fact that the sleeves were about three inches too short for me. Curse my long gangly limbs >.< Someone is going to get a STEAL on that suit.

I also bought a nice 100% silk tie, blue stripe. Guess this isn't the thread to show it though hehe >.>

Last edited:

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Owner label on inside pocket says tailored 4-24-58 by Jos. H Hoffman and Sons Men Shop for..., Harrisburg, PA., the fabric is tweed heavy, and the material and tailoring suggest the original owner probably dropped $200-$250 on it originally. The 3rd image is the truest to color. Size is a 42-43L, 34-1/4 inches long.

Check out the detail photos! Awesome stuff.

1958jacket1.jpg

014.jpg

1968jacket2.jpg

1958jacket3.jpg

1958jacket4.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy

One of the Regulars
I think this one is either late 50's or early 60's, based on styling and the company. Cashmere coat, love the pattern. 42 L (33 inches)

60sjacket1.jpg

60sjacket4.jpg

031-1.jpg

Last edited:

Delmark

New in Town
Submitted for your perusal, my spiffy new grey tweed jacket.

IpjrS.jpg

99FMM.jpg

LWpOP.jpg

qTvw5.jpg

I'm thinking it's late '50s or early '60s, but I'm really not certain.

DamianM

Vendor
Here Is one of mine, I had for years but times are hard and had to let go :(

scaled.php

scaled.php

Luckily I got a trade for a nice Burgundy Corduroy 40s Hollywood and some cash to a guy who had the matching Pants!!

In another case, Ive posted this in other threads but there no response ha so here my new homemade Loafer jacket

scaled.php

With a belt
scaled.php

scaled.php
scaled.php

Still needs lining but pretty done really. Making another one with red corduroy

MikeBravo

One Too Many
^^ I love it! Outside patch pockets and ticket pockets are just impossible to find on modern suits and sportscoats.

Lately I have noticed quite a few retailers of modern suits have suits/jackets with ticket pockets displayed in their windows. Still haven't seen any patch pockets (or at least not noticed any).

At least one good thing to come out of Mad Men I suppose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az