Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
First off, mixing eras is fun :)

Second, circle skirts can be challenging. Two ways Ive had pretty good success with already made garments that need to be hemmed is:

1. Lay the garment flat (as flat as you can) with the bellow of the skirt out in full (thus half the circle) I take a tape measure from the waist, and just like with a compass, I move the tape measure, yard stick is better, or whatever, from the waist to where you want to hem the garment. Tack it and there you go.

dresshem.jpg

2.Hang the dress on a dress form, and with a measuring tape do the same thing.

Both work, one needs a clean floor/table, the other a dress form.

Good luck! :)

LD

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:

Lady Day, did you draw that cute dress? I love it and I want one in every color of the rainbow including a red on white polka dotted one lol Oh how I wish I were a cartoon character sometimes. I would probably dress like Minnie Mouse by day and Betty Boop by night haha

Knitstuff

New in Town
Before hemming, be sure to let the skirt hang for about a week! This lets the fabric relax into the drape it will have when finished. I know that this cuts down on the "instant gratification" effect, but well worth it in the end, and will save on wonky hemlines later.

Jen

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Ooh I'm glad I had a hissy fit and gave up on making a full circle skirt a few weeks ago. This thread is so helpful!

It's ludicrous; for college I designed and made a (comfy and fuctional) steel boned corset, yet I'm too scared to make what people keep saying is a simple garment. *sigh*

G

GoldLeaf

I just bought some patterns yesterday - the vintage re-prints. I would like to keep them uncut so that I can use different sizes if I ever need or want to.

How do you ladies make copies of your patterns? Trace the size you want and then cut that out? Where do you get sheets of tracing paper/tissue paper that large? What do you use to trace the pattern? Marker of some sort, or pencil?

I apologize if this has been asked before in the thread - its quite long and I started to get overwhelmed.

Many thanks for your help!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
GoldLeaf,
You can buy tracing paper. I've got a roll about 58" or so wide of the stuff. Its mediumweight but very sheer. I lay down the pattern and then lay this stuff over it and trace it with a marker. Some people I know use lightweight interfacing too--its more cloth-like. I used to use regular tissue paper and taped the pieces together before tracing, but it was a lot of work. I'm sure some of the other gals here can give you some more ideas too.

Elaina

One Too Many
Now, I on the other hand am cheap.

I use wax paper, and iron it with a cool iron to make larger sheets, write with a sharpie on the un-waxed side (it's see through) and tape it a little to ensure it will stick together. And the wax side will hold the pattern in place.

Pretty quick and easy.

G

GoldLeaf

What an interesting idea, Elaina! Do you use regular 12" wide wax paper that you find in the grocery stores? I can immagine it would be less likely to tear, as well. Until I can find large tracing paper to try, I will use this method. Its all about trial and error and finding a way that works for you. Thanks for the tips ladies!

BonnieJean, where do you get your large rolls? I have one in my office, but its because we do mapping, and the drafting supply companies always charge a small fortune for supplies. I did a quick google search and found a few art places. Is there somewhere that you get it locally? An art supply store?

Thanks so much!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
GoldLeaf,
Actually, my sister gave me her roll when she closed her alterations business. She told me she had gotten it online somewhere. I'm eventually going to run out, but if I was to order some now, I would go here
Clotilde is a good place to buy sewing supplies and their prices seem to be OK.

I remember my mom using wax paper to trace patterns. My sister said you could use parchment paper too. Personally, I prefer the rolls (whether it's actual tracing paper or lightweight interfacing fabric) as there isn't any "prep" work to get the paper ready for tracing. Call me lazy...

Liane

New in Town
At Jo Anne fabrics, there is a circle skirt pattern in the costume section of Simplicity. Its #5403. I'm pretty sure thats the number. :) They also have new patterns for spring where you can make half circle skirts, or a circle skirt if you buy a fabric that has a pattern on the bottom. But I havent quite figured it out yet [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe