Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Elaina

One Too Many
You might want to "morph" the sleeve cap to a size that will fit, and consequently do the same to the sleeve.

I generally have to go a few sizes down for the shoulder seams then go a zie or 2 up on sleeves and armhomes. You find the size that fits you, then gradually meld it in to the size you need, and then use the larger sleeve as well. If it fits at the armhole, then just add an inch, half to one side, half to the other, to get it to fit right, transferring any buttoholes and markings to the new size.

Hope that made sense.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was helping someone with this delema in a sewing class this past week.

Sleeve.jpg

One way to create a larger arm hole is to take it in at the shoulder as in this little diagram I whipped up (I was drawing pics like this all day :p )

I find that the shoulders are too broad for ne anyway, so this way is 'simple' if you cna get it to line up properly, and you will not have to worry about the evil underarm match up.

Good luck.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I must say all you talented ladies have more appretation coming from me. I started my daughter nightgown. I jumped in head first. Had to call my mom to come over and give me a little sewing lesson. She is coming over tomorrow to continue the lesson. I just got down undoing everthing I did over the last two days. The only thing I did right was cut the pattern out the correct way. I guess thats what I get for jumping in head first. I shall press on. My goddness there is so much to learn, threads, fabrics, stiches. I do like the idea that you can make a pattern for anything. I wish I had a manaquin with my measurments, I could see how you would need one. Thank you for the inspiration.

Elaina

One Too Many
I hate to tell you...I spent about 2 years sewing every single seam at least 4 times.

It DOES get easier. My mom was lazy, and didn't baste HALF the things I do, but my collars, cuffs, etc. lie smooth, and you can't tell the diff between mine and upper end RTW. You can my mom's. Surprisingly, however, I sew about 10 times faster then she does. (Probably because I only now rip out about 1 seam per 10 garments or so. She does 3-4 every garment.)

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I figured that was somewhat the norm. It's nice to know if you mess up you can start over again. My mom hasn't sewn on a machine in years. She is into the whole beading thing. She makes awesome jewelry. But any who, I look forward to making something I can wear.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Does anyone has experience in making hats? I´d love to be able to make matching hats to my outfits :D

I play with the thought to go to a workshop regarding this, but I want to give it a try myself first to see if I can´t just do it myself so I bought me a repro of a milinery book and unpatiently wait for it ;)

Are the hat patterns of Vogue easy to do?

b5_1.JPG

4a9b_1.JPG

c78f_1.JPG

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Sari, I have the second and the third hat pattern too. These hats are so cute. And I am also interested in hat making.
Does any of you ladies know what fabric you need to make a hat? And were do you buy this fabric?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LadyDeWinter said:
Sari, I have the second and the third hat pattern too. These hats are so cute. And I am also interested in hat making.
Does any of you ladies know what fabric you need to make a hat? And were do you buy this fabric?

Most of the vintage vogue pattern ones call for wool felt....

Elaina

One Too Many
To be honest, you can get most of the fabrics at a chain that they call for. Vogue and the big 3 are usually very good at having fabrics on hand and easily accessible for the average sewist.

I make hats, but mine are stuck in the 20's and truth be told, I don't worry what they suggest. I make them out of what I want with a comprable weight fabric.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I know its been said before....

But is anyone interested in setting up a pattern trade? I have so many patters that I would LOVE, but not the cash to get them, and then I see so many people who dont have a pattern I do, and vice versa. For those of you not using your patters, know that you will make a New Vintage Lady very very happy.

Whos with me!

LD :D

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I have some patterns I´d like to trade, but than there seems to be no one else around with a 40´bust but me and I have no altering experience :(

My one is size 16 -20:
twen1.JPG

It´s damn cute but I´m just not in it for the 20s style and just look totally wrong in it.

Size 14 - 20:
b4512.jpg

I can´t wear anything back-free cause I always need some extra support in the bust area.

Those haven´t been used.

So if anyone has a cute repro pattern or a original one for a Bust´40 or skirts/trowsers for a 32´inch waist in late 30s to 50s style let me know and I see if that one is missing in my collection! I don´t mind if the pattern has been cut out and used... As long as it is complete I´m happy ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RMS Id trade with you, but I cant do backless very well wither :eek:
Ill post my tradeable patterns this weekend, hoefully Ill get some nibbles.

LD

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
Circle Skirt Sewing Tips

I know - I know - I mix my vintages, but if you could hold off on the tar and feathers for just a little while!

I found an adorable repro dress online a few days ago and it's the cutest thing I ever saw. The bodice looks exceedingly easy to make and I was even feeling quite comfortable about the hugging C's design on the circle skirt that would avoid any unnecessary bunching and heft around my already heafty enough waist...that is, until a friend of mine said something in language it's probably inappropriate to share that made me think I might run into a snag sewing the hemline on a circle skirt.

I didn't feel much better when it was confirmed by a former seamstress and costumer.

Thus far, I've come to a few suggestions from people - a good, hot steam iron to create, as she called them, "invisi-pleats" and, from the afor mentioned friend with the colorful expressions, that i take things very very slowly.

Assuming that one of you may have, at one point or another, tried to hem a circle skirt, i'm wondering if you have any tips...that is, as long as none of them are "do it by hand" (because i think i'd take a second job and pay the $300 to avoid the diaster that would be me sewing by hand.) Obviously all of the sewing basics apply - avoid structured patterns like stripes and plaids because oh-boy the trouble that could cause, but i was planning on going with a basic colored fabric that had a small, well seperated polka dot.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I've found that the easiest way to do a hem on a circle skirt is to stitch completely around the skirt at the line you want for your hem. Fold and pin the raw edge of your skirt to the stitch line at the four points around the skirt. Then halfway between those points. Then halfway between those points, etc until your whole skirt is even.

Then fold up again at the hem line. Repeat process. Press/ steam. Continue Stitching down hem either w/ a blind hem or topstitch.

**Edit: You'll also see I've posted several times on here that I'm a fashion designer/dressmaker. Trust me- a circle skirt can actually be easy. Just keep pinning and keep pressing!! And don't get discouraged!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe