Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ooh! Congrats Landgirl! Yay for sewing classes!

And I second Lady Day's suggestion of redrafting. It's a pain, but will save a lot of headache in the end! If it's a simple skirt, it won't take that long, either. Just distribute the amount you need between the skirt pieces evenly and you should be good to go. (sorry if this is posted too late)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
HAs anyone tried this pattern?

s4044.jpg

If so: Can you recommend it for a beginner? In a pattern shop they said it was easy, but that I spended all my sewing course with a blouse that was said to be "quick and easy" and still havent finished it all....

Snookie

Practically Family
I haven't looked at the pattern up close, but the skirt should be easy enough for a beginner. The pants will be a little trickier than the skirt, but maybe still okay. (I can't tell where the zipper is -- a fly front is harder than a side or center back application.) The jacket, though, will be much too hard. It'll take forever and you'll get frustrated. Very cute though. Just make a few more basics first (especially blouses, to practice setting in sleeves).

Oh, and the plaid is cute, but difficult to match. Save yourself the hassle right now and stick to solids, polka dots, etc. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Id say any type of jacket or slacks is hittin the intermediate arena of sewing.

I hate, always will hate, and will forever hate sewing sleeves into any type of shirt/ and or jacket. Yuck!

If you have not finished that starter project, I would not take on this one just yet. Even if it turns out crap, finishe it to learn from it, then you may enjoy the new project more. :)

LD

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Well I plan to finish the blouse, but for the moment I have taken a little break from it cause it made me highly agressive lol

Hmmm... I might wait till after X-Mas to get the pattern when I have finished the blouse and other projects that stand in line first and than I´ll go and give it a try. :)

Elaina

One Too Many
Sleeves aren't my favorite, but I do them with running stitches hand sewn in to get those caps placed just so and then machine sew over them to set them in. Really, they're not too difficult, and while they move toward intermediate, they can be simplified like that for any beginner to make, jackets included. (And I set some nice sleeves damnit.)

The pants pattern has the zipper on the side. They're not too bad, the front dip may cause some problems with new sewers. Believe it or not, that jacket isn't any harder then most blouses. The skirt is a skirt: those are always easy.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Lauren said:
And I second Lady Day's suggestion of redrafting. It's a pain, but will save a lot of headache in the end! If it's a simple skirt, it won't take that long, either. Just distribute the amount you need between the skirt pieces evenly and you should be good to go. (sorry if this is posted too late)

Nope not posted too late at all (besides, better late than never, right?!) I never bought the skirt...I am just going to wait (un)patiently until I get my sewing machine and learn to make one from scratch. :)

Rosie

One Too Many
RetroModelSari said:

s4044.jpg

If so: Can you recommend it for a beginner? In a pattern shop they said it was easy, but that I spended all my sewing course with a blouse that was said to be "quick and easy" and still havent finished it all....

I SOOOOO want to sew this but my plate runneth over. :( I still have projects I haven't started including a great pattern LD sent me that I haven't even begun. :eek: (sorry LD) I think the pants in that pattern are supper cute.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
I SOOOOO want to sew this but my plate runneth over. :( I still have projects I haven't started including a great pattern LD sent me that I haven't even begun. :eek: (sorry LD) I think the pants in that pattern are supper cute.

No prob. The less its here, the fewer Ill make :D

LD

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I'm making a pair of sailor pants, and I have to add about 3 inches to the waist, possibly more to the tummy area (grr, I've gained weight!). Should I add the 3 inches to the waist in strips along the seams? This is my mock up pair.

There are two front center seams, and of course two side seams. And there's two darts in the back. The closure is going to be a zipper on the side. The "sailor" look will come with the faux frontflap and buttons.

I thought my books would cover this, but they don't. The books I have only tell you how to make your own patterns and have them fit, but I am using a ready made pattern.

Snookie

Practically Family
Ooh, I love sailor pants! I want to make a new pair.

Pants are really tricky to fit, because of that darned crotch seam. It might work out to add to the sides, but here's a simplified version of the "official" method.

Get a big ruler, a roll of paper, a pencil or marker, and scotch tape. On your pattern (or a copy) trace the lines same as the pic (on the left). Front and back are basically the same. If you need to add 3" total, you have to add 1.5" to each side, so each front and each back get .75". Look at the dotted lines meeting the waist. There's 3 lines, so each section gets 1/3 of .75". That's .25" (1/4"). Cut open each dotted line, spread the pattern sections 1/4" at each dotted line, and tape down to your paper. If you want to keep the width of the hem the same, don't spread the hem edge. If you want wider cuffs, spread it more. You can cut the pattern at any of the dotted lines to add more give. If you need more room in the tummy, I suggest especially adding to the area between the crotch and the waist horizontally (and don't forget the back or your sideseams won't match!).

If anyone has an easier method that works well, please share!
scan_6122101611_1.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Oh, yeah, I forgot they're sailor pants. Are the Pattern pieces shaped differently from the pic above, or does the faux front look pretty much the same?

Folly

One of the Regulars
RetroModelSari said:

s4044.jpg

Oh! My friend is making that right now! Well actually her mum is doing it for her.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
Oh, yeah, I forgot they're sailor pants. Are the Pattern pieces shaped differently from the pic above, or does the faux front look pretty much the same?

Well, there's 3 main peices to the pants, not two. For each leg there are 2 front peices and one back peice.

Thanks for the information! It'll take me a while to reread your post to really fully understand it, because I am tired at the moment, but I will certainly save what you've posted!

Unfortunately (or not?), I've already cut out my pattern from some fabric I bought. I'm trying to alter the actual fabric (whether it looks pretty or not when I'm done - not really intending on wearing this particular mockup)

The pattern I am making is a burda pattern. The flap is just cosmetic - it has no purpose other than to look good.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BettyValentine said:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2903=x&TI=20006&page=1

Has anyone made Vogue pattern 2903? I've never seen it finished before. I'm looking for a pattern for the stunt dress for my wedding (I need something I can dance in) and I thought this might be a good candidate.

Thanks!

BV

V2903.jpg

Ooooh, thats cute. I love the lines that go from the gored skit to the bodice. Looks like one long piece of fabric.

I have not made it, but it does not look that hard. Im all into pleated skirts now. I love how the inset pleat can be a different fabric. Oh! That would totally work with this dress!

Sorry, way off there :eek:

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
Another question!!

I tried searching for this on the 'Net before asking, but I was unable to find any information that made sense to me!

I've been considering purchasing a few RTW dresses and tops, but I've found that the armholes rarely fit comfortably. Is there a way to enlarge them slightly (say, and inch at the most) without completely ruining the sleeves? In cases where there is a button on the cuff, I've tried moving it over slightly, but often it isn't enough. Everything else usually fits perfectly, but those darn sleeves are too tight around my arms! (I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Gee, just stop eating donuts for breakfast!" but my upper arms aren't really flabby! The one place I have a descent amount of muscle and I'm complaining!) I really appreciate any help you ladies can suggest!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
V2903.jpg

Ooooh, thats cute. I love the lines that go from the gored skit to the bodice. Looks like one long piece of fabric.

I have not made it, but it does not look that hard. Im all into pleated skirts now. I love how the inset pleat can be a different fabric. Oh! That would totally work with this dress!

Sorry, way off there :eek:

LD

Yeah, I love princess seams. I heard there is something wonky about the way the sleeve sets in, and I've heard odd things about the way this pattern range fits. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and make a mock-up... le sigh. (I'm the laziest stitcher ever. I totally hate making mockups.)

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I've been considering purchasing a few RTW dresses and tops, but I've found that the armholes rarely fit comfortably. Is there a way to enlarge them slightly (say, and inch at the most) without completely ruining the sleeves? In cases where there is a button on the cuff, I've tried moving it over slightly, but often it isn't enough. Everything else usually fits perfectly, but those darn sleeves are too tight around my arms! (I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Gee, just stop eating donuts for breakfast!" but my upper arms aren't really flabby! The one place I have a descent amount of muscle and I'm complaining!) I really appreciate any help you ladies can suggest![/QUOTE]

I have that same problem. I'm interested if it can be altered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe