Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road to Perdition

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Sorry if I am behind times on this one, but I just finished watching this movie with Tom Hanks and Paul Newman. The costuming is incredible, the hats superb.

RoadToPerdition.jpg

14.jpeg

photo_27_hires.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know, ever since I saw this movie, whenever I think of regular old joes from the Golden Era, I think of Tom Hanks. I loved this movie, the costumes and especially the hats!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Bud, Dave Brown did Hanks hat and Graham Thompson built about 60 for the rain shoots( including dupes of Brown's hat). I had about 100 vintage in the film but in the background, not the leads. I can't remember the costumer on this one but it was "bucks up"

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I enjoyed all aspects of this movie, with maybe the exception of some of the gore shots. A bit unnecessary in my opinion. Like I said the hats were fantastic. With the heat here in Texas I have pretty much sworn off of any more felts, as I can only wear them for about 2 to 3 months. Hanks hat however has given me the urge, if I could find one like it.

A

Ande1963

Funny you should bring that up right now. I just finished watching it... twice (once normally and once with the director's commentary on). One of my favorite films of recent years. And, the hats are great!

I actually wrote a gangster graphic novel a few years back, and there are a lot of good hats in there, too. It's called Union Station. It's historical fiction, about Kansas City's Union Station Massacre and its aftermath. I didn't draw it, but I think the artist did a good job with the fashion in the book. Not all of the hats are unique, but he knows how to draw a good fedora sitting properly on a man's head. You can see a preview HERE.

Anj

nulty

One of the Regulars
Very Cool....nice perspective on the suits and hats..

Road to Perdition is one of my favorites. Daniel Craig, Paul Newman and Hanks pull of the tension in that 3 way relationship too well. It's not a Great movie but it's well done......

I love what Hanks tried to explore in the relationship with Newman and with his own son....

One of my favorite scenes is early when the boys sees Tom taking off his work clothes before dinner....you just see the various items dropping on the bed without seeing Toms face. I loved that House.....

The Coat Tom wears in the pics is one of my latest obsessions......

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
THE COAT

I saw one that looked just about like it last fall at BCF. I would have bought it, if there was such a thing as cold weather here. It was a heavy wool almost cashmere in feel, very similar to this one. I am a big fan of black anyway.

ea6186ac.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So, how would you change it...?

nulty said:
Very Cool....nice perspective on the suits and hats..

Road to Perdition is one of my favorites. It's not a Great movie but it's well done......

I'm just sitting here wondering...HOW would you go about changing things in the movie to 'make it' A GREAT MOVIE...? in your opinion [huh] .

nulty

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
I'm just sitting here wondering...HOW would you go about changing things in the movie to 'make it' A GREAT MOVIE...? in your opinion [huh] .

Well.. I don't know what could have been done. Art is what it is. I just thought they went for the sentimentality to quick. I expected more at the time from Sam Mendes. The movie built well up to the point Hanks hit the road. From that point it was fairly easy to see what was coming...

I'm not downing it, I still love it for the the production , cinematograpahy and seeing actors I like . I just wasn't moved by it emotionally in the way I thought it I might be....[huh]

I still do Love the Coat.....

Just a note, the scene with Hanks assembling the Thompson is BS. The barrel doesn't separate from the receiver anywhere near so easy, and the foregrip/forearm attaches to a piece connected to the receiver, not the barrel. I frequent a board of Thompson collectors, so just thought this tidbit would be of interest for the technicals fans.

moustache

Practically Family
One of my favourite movies of all time.The soundtrack is glorious as is the cinematography.
Underrated in my opinion.Hanks is a very versatile actor.This was quite a departure for him but,i think,well done.

JD

The Great Depresion and Prohibition came together to create some fantastic stories of people's lives. I liked this film alot and the gore was not self indulgent. It is hard some times to project the menace aspect without an explicite explanation of what the consequences will be.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I respecfully disagree J-n-C

During the same years that this movie was set, shootings were part of the story line of many Hollywood films. They chose not to zoom in on a oozing bullet hole. The film makers of today are going for shock value. Any reasonable person understands that a head shot from a 45 is going to leave the recipient dead. I for one do not need to see the bullet hole to prove it to me. I guess there are some "doubting Thomas" types out there that need convincing, I am just not one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley