Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Moderators

UH34D

New in Town
Having just recently found the "Lounge" and more recently having become a member, I've tried to find the answers to these question on my own but with no luck.

Just a little background, I'm in the beginning stages of my quest to purchase a Fedora and thanks to this site I've found that it's not going to be as simple as I first believed. There are why to many manufacturers and styles to get my mind around, never realized the extent. There have been a couple individuals after having read some of their posts I thought might interesting to chat with, but I find I'm restricted from doing so. In the same vein, I find I'm also restricted from other areas of the site. Dose this also mean I'll be restricted from bidding when the auction kicks off again? If so, what does one have to do to become unrestricted.

Thanks for your understanding and help.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You need to have a minimum number of posts to have PM access as well as to bid in the johnnyphi auctions. I think it's 15. At any rate, with some browsing and posting over the next few days those will rack up a lot faster than you think.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge UH34D

Sorry for the inconvenience, but in the past we have had enough spammers come in to ply their ego's that restrictions became necessary. You will be able to PM after ( I believe) 15 posts and contact whomever you wish. The "Members" list will never be available, not even to Bartenders, as we try our best to protect our members from spammers and undesireables.
I don't believe these restrictions come into play with the auctions of Johnnyphi, but I'm not 100% sure as those are being handled by other Bartenders.

Hope this gives you enough background to enjoy the Lounge

mingoslim

Practically Family
Welcome UH . . .

Art Fawcett said:
Ahhh, you beat me to it Alan!! Thanks for letting me know about the auctions.

I am sure any of a number of us will be happy to chat with you . . . So make a few posts, and in no time, you will find that you can PM, join in, etc. etc. etc.

Meanwhile, if you are interested in makers and styles, there are two threads you should do a search for . . .

One is a list of manufacturers, which I beleive appears in a sticky at the top of the list of key sites . . .

Or check out http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16412

The other is a list of haberdashers which lists a number of hat shops you can check out . . . one might be near you . . .;)

UH34D

New in Town
Thanks for the info gents. With my history of posting, I might be awhile. I guess I better get busy.

Thanks!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge, UH34D. You will find all the help you need here from friendly and knowledgeable folks who know their stuff. But be careful, the bug will bite you before you know it!

On second thought, what the heck...throw caution to the wind. The bug will bite you anyway. :) :)

UH34D

New in Town
Thanks, Bob. By the way, pretty sharp looking hat you have over on the Johnnyphi Hat Club.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
UH34D said:
I'm in the beginning stages of my quest to purchase a Fedora and thanks to this site I've found that it's not going to be as simple as I first believed.

First, welcome; second, starting out in any hobby or interest one has to start at the bottom.

My very first fedora was a black wool thing from Burlington Coat Factory lol Well, after wearing that hat for a few months, I walked into a costume shop that sold vintage fedoras... well, I was hooked! I pitched my tent in the vintage camp.

What I'd suggest is to poke around here more, look at photos of hats new and vintage and just let your taste go to work. See what strikes your fancy then you'll be on the right track.

Good luck!

UH34D

New in Town
Part of my problem has been the Fedora Lounge. Two weeks ago I thought a Fedora was a Fedora was a Fedora! This place has been an eye opener.

At the outset, it was to have a Fedora style hat, now it has to be vintage.
Also at the beginning, one hat was the goal. Now, I think it needs to be two, one an every day "Beater" and the second, a Sunday go to church hat.
At the moment, I'm not sure what those hats will be so I think I'll just leave that to what ever tickles my fancy when I see it (although, I do have a couple ideas brewing).

GWD

One Too Many
UH34D said:
Part of my problem has been the Fedora Lounge. Two weeks ago I thought a Fedora was a Fedora was a Fedora! This place has been an eye opener.

At the outset, it was to have a Fedora style hat, now it has to be vintage.
Also at the beginning, one hat was the goal. Now, I think it needs to be two, one an every day "Beater" and the second, a Sunday go to church hat.
At the moment, I'm not sure what those hats will be so I think I'll just leave that to what ever tickles my fancy when I see it (although, I do have a couple ideas brewing).

TWO? lol Good luck my friend, good luck.

GWD

One Too Many
What's the fun in just two?

Wait.....what size hat do you wear?

Depending on your answer.......two maybe too many. lol

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
GWD said:
What's the fun in just two?

Wait.....what size hat do you wear?

Depending on your answer.......two maybe too many. lol

I second this sentiment.....:eusa_clap