Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pres. Bush's Allen Edmunds Shoes

otterhound

One of the Regulars
shoes_072106_big.jpg

You can also read the article about these custom shoes.

Barry

Practically Family
I bought a pair of the AE Spectators in chesnut and golf white. I learned about these "special order" shoes after reading one of Zohar's posts.

When I wear them I get 2-3 comments (mostly good) a day and I'm not kidding about that. Today I wore them with a pair of lightweight brown dress trousers (and a fedora, of course) and the barista at the coffee place I went to said "Oh my gosh! You look like Dick Tracy or someone like that!" In addition to that someone commented about my shoes in the elevator this AM. I love them - to me they look neat and in addition to that they are comfortable.

Barry

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
AE Sold To Investment Group.

jamespowers said:
Edmonds must not be hurting for money that is for sure. :D

They may have been hurting a bit in recent years. At the sale announcement John Stollenwerk(owner and CEO) said, "Bright days lie ahead for Allen-Edmonds." Business has been tough for U.S. shoemakers. I read somewhere that American made shoes now have only 1.5% of the U.S. market, down from 30% in 1985.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/ap/fn/4061467

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Am I the only one who thinks those shoes are ugly?

Politics aside, Bush has never struck me as someone with any taste. I can't get past his "Black Tie and Boots" ball or the fact that his suits and ties are seemingly chosen by committee to be as inoffensive and boring as possible.

Wild Root

Gone Home
They're OK, I think they'd look ok with a nice ivory linen or gabardine suit... double breasted of course!;) But, would our Comander and Chief wear something that that? Nope! I could see it being a fun thing to wear only on the 4th of July!

Too bad, I think it might score him a few points.lol

=WR=

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those shoes are red, white, and blue, of course. I doubt they were meant to be worn. They are perfect as a gift to a President who might wear them on ocassion, though I am pretty sure that all Presidential gifts are catalogued and put away and not actually the property of The President. I believe he may buy-back some items, which usually end up on display at the Presidential Library.

They are beautiful shoes and I am sure they are made of the finest materials. The problem is red, white, and blue is very difficult to match. I've seen his Justin's that were similarly colored.

Once again, Spectators make a return appearance. I am seeing them more and more, in catalogues, in the media, and now on the President's feet!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, you're right Jones... they are never going to see pavement I'm sure! But, if any one was going to wear a pair of these, they would be best paired with a white or ivory suit... something "non business" a fun outfit for a patriotic party or event.;) Nothing that would be worn with a daily type of outfit... unless you’re Uncle Sam!

=WR=

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wild Root said:
Well, you're right Jones... they are never going to see pavement I'm sure! But, if any one was going to wear a pair of these, they would be best paired with a white or ivory suit... something "non business" a fun outfit for a patriotic party or event.;) Nothing that would be worn with a daily type of outfit... unless you’re Uncle Sam!

=WR=
Well said, and very true! If ever I come across a challenging piece of vintage wear and I wasn't sure how to pair it; you are the go-to guy, my friend. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wild Root said:
best paired with a white or ivory suit... something "non business" a fun outfit for a patriotic party or event.;)
I agree but I would've loved to have seen GWB wear them to the G8 conference:D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
I agree but I would've loved to have seen GWB wear them to the G8 conference:D
Oh, I would have liked to see that too!
I must say, ITG had it right, when I first saw them I too thought of bowling shoes.
The fact is, I like specs or I think other people call them spats. Hemingway, our gracious bartender who is also my house mate has acquired quite a few pairs over the past year. Of course, his are two toned. They really do jazz up a suit. They say the clothes make the man. Well, a man can wear the nicest suit ever made, and completely mess it up with a dopey pair of shoes. Put on a pair of specs, and the suit will look the way it should look, great. I know a lot of people not knowledgeable about the vintage lifestyle will turn up their noses, but I say to all of you men out there, wear specs. They are great classy shoes.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
Bush is probably the first U.S. president since Harry Truman (1945-1952) to wear spectator shoes in office.

Hemingway Jones said:
Please keep the discussions on the topic of the shoes. Thank you.

How was Marc's post off topic kind sir?[huh] Talking about presidential spectators here... seems on topic to me chief.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley