Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

georgie girl

One of the Regulars
I received this hat in the mail last week, a Stetson Saddle Roll "Texas Bound". I need to replace the sweatband and am going to replace the stained grosgrain ribbon with this one that I have coming called bronze brown sugar. Three and a half inch brim. I found the ribbon treatment interesting, but will probably add a bow with the new ribbon

The straw that it's made from is buntal bankok from the buri palm from what I've gathered by looking at old advertising ads for bailey, very lightweight stuff. Of course it seems I won't get any chance to wear it, now that it seems like it's already Fall in the PNW (although that is great for all the fires in the state). No tags inside the sweatband.

Attachments

• stetson 50-60's saddle roll straw.JPG
    stetson 50-60's saddle roll straw.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 56
  • stetson6.JPG
    stetson6.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 44
  • stetson9.JPG
    stetson9.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 39
  • stetson10.JPG
    stetson10.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 37
  • bronze brown sugar ribbon.JPG
    bronze brown sugar ribbon.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4893.jpeg
    IMG_4893.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Always a sucker for decent looking inexpensive hats, A while back I found a really clean Sage green Stetson Weekender for about $30. A couple weeks ago I found another in brown for $35. In my mind its nice to have a few like these on the wall to give away to aspiring hat wearers that need to get out of ball caps. (im doing my best to put the men of Houston County Texas back into brimmed hats!) Only issue with these was that the both came in a big box full of loose packing peanuts... I need to learn to peek in the box before ripping the flaps open....It will probably take me a week to find all the little pieces after I dumped them in the dining room lol

By the way... One of my hats will be going home with someone today....He traded me the 5 string Banjo in the picture for a nice hat. I played for several years, and always had a soft spot for banjos. Not sure if Ill actually play much, but it sure looks nice as a hat photo background lol I dont know if the fellows aware just how many hats I have on the wall to choose from lol This may take a while. Thinking were going to narrow it down to a few, and move out to the patio to think it over with a good cigar and some Sailor Jerry rum View attachment 635001 View attachment 635002
That's not a bad trade at at all, Rick. What brand is the banjo?

Vintage Sunburst

New in Town
I picked this up over the weekend at a vintage clothing store in Michigan City, Indiana (The Closet, on Franklin St. Very nice people). They didn't want much for it. The felt is nice and soft. I can crease and pinch it without having to steam them in, it just stays in whatever shape I give it (I don't have any other vintage fedora that does that). Unfortunately, the store I bought it from punched a price tag through the leather sweatband, which left an obvious small hole (you'd think they would know better). Anyway, would anyone happen to know what decade this one might be from? It's definitely 1950s at the latest, but I was wondering if this might even be from the late 1940s as the felt is so nice and the crown is pretty tall for a 2 1/4" inch brim fedora.

Attachments

• IMG_20240825_105958970_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105958970_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240825_110021096.jpg
    IMG_20240825_110021096.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240825_105927797_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105927797_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240825_105837523_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105837523_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240825_105820657_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105820657_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240825_105723060_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105723060_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240825_105639487_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105639487_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20240825_105617676_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105617676_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20240825_105500508.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105500508.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20240825_105452151_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240825_105452151_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

RickP

Practically Family
Always a sucker for decent looking inexpensive hats, A while back I found a really clean Sage green Stetson Weekender for about $30. A couple weeks ago I found another in brown for $35. In my mind its nice to have a few like these on the wall to give away to aspiring hat wearers that need to get out of ball caps. (im doing my best to put the men of Houston County Texas back into brimmed hats!) Only issue with these was that the both came in a big box full of loose packing peanuts... I need to learn to peek in the box before ripping the flaps open....It will probably take me a week to find all the little pieces after I dumped them in the dining room lol

By the way... One of my hats will be going home with someone today....He traded me the 5 string Banjo in the picture for a nice hat. I played for several years, and always had a soft spot for banjos. Not sure if Ill actually play much, but it sure looks nice as a hat photo background lol I dont know if the fellows aware just how many hats I have on the wall to choose from lol This may take a while. Thinking were going to narrow it down to a few, and move out to the patio to think it over with a good cigar and some Sailor Jerry rum View attachment 635001 View attachment 635002
Followup to the banjo trade tale.... they fellow came over today to pick out his new hat for my part of the trade. We looked at Stetsons, Akubras and various Knox and Champs. He fell in love with a Sage Hemp Stratoliner.... it was the perfect choice as I actually had TWO of them... He got the new one and I still have my nicely broken in and faded one! He even ask if I wanted to keep the dc3 pin as he noticed my other one didnt have one.. Got a bit more backstory on the banjo... His parents gave it to him on his birthday in 1983 or 4. Just never learned how to play it. For taking such good care of it all these years, I threw in a broken in but nice Larry Mahan Straw 10x as well ( Hes a farm manager and outside all day long. figured he had more use for it than I did). Perfect day!

I picked this up over the weekend at a vintage clothing store in Michigan City, Indiana (The Closet, on Franklin St. Very nice people). They didn't want much for it. The felt is nice and soft. I can crease and pinch it without having to steam them in, it just stays in whatever shape I give it (I don't have any other vintage fedora that does that). Unfortunately, the store I bought it from punched a price tag through the leather sweatband, which left an obvious small hole (you'd think they would know better). Anyway, would anyone happen to know what decade this one might be from? It's definitely 1950s at the latest, but I was wondering if this might even be from the late 1940s as the felt is so nice and the crown is pretty tall for a 2 1/4" inch brim fedora.

Shame on the sweatband, but it could be worse. I've seen morons punch a tag right through the brim.

IMG_20240827_181900599_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Berg Fifth Avenue

Very light tan - Light weight felt
5 5/8 Crown (4 7/8 as shaped)
1 7/8 Chocolate Brown Grosgrain Ribbon
1 7/8 raw edge brim

Thanks go out to Jonathan @TheOldFashioned for alerting me to this likely pre-war .. possibly 1930s Berg that was practically being given away. It certainly had some issues appearing somewhat dirty and some indications of previous moth activity. Being that I don’t see hats of this era pop up too often.. I gave it a go.

This hat went on a tour of the country on its way to me… originating in Wallkill, NY… traveling down to me in South Florida through West Palm Beach and past me down to Opa Locka, Florida…. Then flying back out across the country to Las Vegas, Nevada… circling back through Memphis, Tennessee before finally returning to me on Friday. I planned on getting it cleaned up this weekend.. but my back had other plans going out on me Saturday morning leaving me unable to put pressure to even get on my feet through Sunday. Started to feel a bit more myself today and decided to get The Berg cleaned up and ready to show.

It’s a very thin almost floppy felt.. a bit of steam brought it back to life a bit and allowed it to hold shape better.. especially in the brim. Most of the dirt either brushed out or was able to be hidden in the crease.. and luckily the moth divots were mostly very small and not too noticeable. Since the liner was unattached, I pulled it out and gave it a wash. It may have lightened some of the screen printing a bit but it really cleaned up nicely.

One thing about hats of this era.. they tend to have plenty of crown to work with. I gave it a fairly wide center dent and then settled on this somewhat elongated diamond. At 4 7/8 it is rather tall especially in proportion with its 1 7/8 brim.. so I may work it down some… but it does look quite neat as is.

I’m not sure the dating of this hat.. it definitely gives me 30s vibes.. has unreeded sweat and taped rear seam. curious if it could be a pre HCA Berg if not fairly early HCA.

Thanks again Jonathan for thinking of me and alerting my attention on this great piece …. Much appreciated.

IMG_20240827_181947472_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240827_181926182_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240827_182001329_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240827_183255700_HDR Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240827_183435249 Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240827_182847661 Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240827_182343136 Copy.jpeg
IMG_6894.jpeg
IMG_6895.jpeg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
View attachment 635800

Berg Fifth Avenue

1 7/8 raw edge brim

Thanks go out to Jonathan @TheOldFashioned for alerting me to this likely pre-war .. possibly 1930s Berg that was practically being given away. It certainly had some issues appearing somewhat dirty and some indications of previous moth activity. Being that I don’t see hats of this era pop up too often.. I gave it a go.

This hat went on a tour of the country on its way to me… originating in Wallkill, NY… traveling down to me in South Florida through West Palm Beach and past me down to Opa Locka, Florida…. Then flying back out across the country to Las Vegas, Nevada… circling back through Memphis, Tennessee before finally returning to me on Friday. I planned on getting it cleaned up this weekend.. but my back had other plans going out on me Saturday morning leaving me unable to put pressure to even get on my feet through Sunday. Started to feel a bit more myself today and decided to get The Berg cleaned up and ready to show.

It’s a very thin almost floppy felt.. a bit of steam brought it back to life a bit and allowed it to hold shape better.. especially in the brim. Most of the dirt either brushed out or was able to be hidden in the crease.. and luckily the moth divots were mostly very small and not too noticeable. Since the liner was unattached, I pulled it out and gave it a wash. It may have lightened some of the screen printing a bit but it really cleaned up nicely.

One thing about hats of this era.. they tend to have plenty of crown to work with. I gave it a fairly wide center dent and then settled on this somewhat elongated diamond. At 4 7/8 it is rather tall especially in proportion with its 1 7/8 brim.. so I may work it down some… but it does look quite neat as is.

I’m not sure the dating of this hat.. it definitely gives me 30s vibes.. has unreeded sweat and taped rear seam. curious if it could be a pre HCA Berg if not fairly early HCA.

Thanks again Jonathan for thinking of me and alerting my attention on this great piece …. Much appreciated.

View attachment 635801 View attachment 635802 View attachment 635803 View attachment 635804 View attachment 635805 View attachment 635806 View attachment 635807 View attachment 635808 View attachment 635809
QUITE the score, Joe!!!!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Another nice one, Joe.

View attachment 635800

Berg Fifth Avenue

1 7/8 raw edge brim

View attachment 635801 View attachment 635802 View attachment 635803 View attachment 635804 View attachment 635805 View attachment 635806 View attachment 635807 View attachment 635808 View attachment 635809

View attachment 635800

Berg Fifth Avenue

1 7/8 raw edge brim

Excellent find, Joe. Great shape and good colours; what more can you ask for?

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Not quite sure what I've landed here. Stetson 7X Westerner, which is an animal I'm not at all familiar with. What little I've been able to find, seems to indicate a 70s to 80s production, with this lining. But the hat looks like something out of 40s or 50s lineup, and I wasn't aware that Stetson was making anything so "old fashioned" during that later time period. Any info/input, gratefully accepted!

Two notes: the stock shape is intriguing, but not sure I can carry it off; the fedora seems better on me. And, despite the soft sunlight this morning, it's black, not blue, as those pics make it appear.

Stetson Westerner stock 1.jpg
Stetson Westerner stock 2.jpg
Stetson Westerner fedora 1.jpg
Stetson Westerner fedora 2.jpg
Stetson Westerner fedora 3.jpg
Stetson Westerner Lining.jpg

TimmyV

One of the Regulars
Not quite sure what I've landed here. Stetson 7X Westerner, which is an animal I'm not at all familiar with. What little I've been able to find, seems to indicate a 70s to 80s production, with this lining. But the hat looks like something out of 40s or 50s lineup, and I wasn't aware that Stetson was making anything so "old fashioned" during that later time period. Any info/input, gratefully accepted!

Two notes: the stock shape is intriguing, but not sure I can carry it off; the fedora seems better on me. And, despite the soft sunlight this morning, it's black, not blue, as those pics make it appear.

View attachment 636477 View attachment 636478 View attachment 636479 View attachment 636480 View attachment 636481 View attachment 636482
That one's a real beaut Mark !! I was watching it myself because it was a 7X and fit the bill for "something different ". Looks good on ya

View attachment 636477 View attachment 636478 View attachment 636479 View attachment 636480 View attachment 636481 View attachment 636482
That is one cool hat, Mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdog42