Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Robert, let me ask you, do you buy hats with moth bites 'cause you don't mind wearing them like that or, like in the brown knox, because of the rarity of it as a collector's item meant more for it's significance and display value?
I know you asked Robert, but here's my take ;)
I will buy a hat that I plan on wearing with moth damage because I believe I can repair most moth bites to the point where they are tough to find and don't bother me when I'm wearing it. I do believe they really hurt the resale value and I will point out any damage that I am aware of if I'm selling a hat so I try to only buy hats with moth bites if I'm pretty sure I want to put the hat into my regular wearing rotation.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
You guys crack me up!
Cool hats, RLK, Rodkins. I have a hard time buying and/or keeping hats with mothing. For me, I think I'd rather wear an entry level wool-fur blend in great condition than a high end hat with so many holes.

Marc Chevalier-- I just read your signature quote-- I love that!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have finally satisfied a craving and curiosity I've had for years now. I've wanted a Boss of the Plains styled hat that had more loafy rather than squared corners in the crown, and didn't want to go custom for fear that it just might not get enough noggin' time to justify the cost.
So I saw an offer opportunity and took it, following TRick's lead from a few months ago, and now have this Stetson 4XXXX American Buffalo series "Austral." I love it!

It came with sort of a high right side, like Captain Call or something similar, and I decided I'd rather have the sides flat with a bit of a front dip. Took more working it than with other fur felts, but so far it seems to be retaining shape very well.

The 3 1/2" brim looks like a 4+ on me, I think, but it doesn't bother me too much since the crown is kind of understated.

The leather of the sweatband, actually, is one of the softest and most comfortable I've felt, especially from a modern production item, and I have to admit I really like the copper color of the liner.

001copyl.jpg

002copyz.jpg

004copyh.jpg

010copym.jpg

006copyn.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have finally satisfied a craving and curiosity I've had for years now. I've wanted a Boss of the Plains styled hat that had more loafy rather than squared corners in the crown, and didn't want to go custom for fear that it just might not get enough noggin' time to justify the cost.
So I saw an offer opportunity and took it, following TRick's lead from a few months ago, and now have this Stetson 4XXXX American Buffalo series "Austral." I love it!

It came with sort of a high right side, like Captain Call or something similar, and I decided I'd rather have the sides flat with a bit of a front dip. Took more working it than with other fur felts, but so far it seems to be retaining shape very well.

The 3 1/2" brim looks like a 4+ on me, I think, but it doesn't bother me too much since the crown is kind of understated.

The leather of the sweatband, actually, is one of the softest and most comfortable I've felt, especially from a modern production item, and I have to admit I really like the copper color of the liner....

Hi

That's a good looking hat, that works for you. Very historical for your location too I think.

later

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Piuma

P1030079.JPG
P1030080.JPG

P1030081.JPG
P1030086.JPG

P1030088.JPG

Light as a Piuma(feather) at 55.5 grams. If the felt were any thinner you could probably see through it yet it holds a smooth shape.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I was watching that piuma, quite nice. Didn't bid 'cause of the thin ribbon. The color also looks different from the auction shots. Nice one, Robert.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the excessively kind words, everyone. I admit that I feel very comfortable in this hat. I discovered this evening at rehearsal that Stetson's "bark" is almost identical to Akubra's "acorn."

I wonder if "made with real Buffalo fur" is something like "made with real fruit juice..." but there is something delightfully coarse and rugged about the finish.

Robert-- you truly have an amazing collection. There's something about this Piuma that really resonates on your head, IMO. sweet lid.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here is a lovely Champ I just received from a top-notch lounger. I was playing with bashes last night. I may go with a brim down in back on this one - I will need some lounge feedback when I post some pics. This is a very nice lid.
0450dcec.jpg

c1714612.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here is a lovely Champ I just received from a top-notch lounger. I was playing with bashes last night. I may go with a brim down in back on this one - I will need some lounge feedback when I post some pics. This is a very nice lid.
0450dcec.jpg

c1714612.jpg

That's not just nice, it's GORGEOUS !! It looks to be some really smooth, soft felt and I'm in love with that color and the ribbon on it !! If it were mine, I'd put a Cattlemans crease in it, snap that brim down in front and have a late 40s/early 50s OR styled western fedora :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads