Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Received an Akubra Campdraft Deluxe from the Heritage Collection today:

heritage.jpg

I don't know how these all compare with the other Akubra dress hats, but I won't be buying any more. I think the Imperial felt is actually nicer than the Heritage. I can't get a decent pinch to save my butt in either of my Campdraft hats. When you crease this felt, it bunches up in strange ways.

I'm glad I have these and I will wear them when the weather won't be nice, but I much prefer the Stetson, Borsalino, and Beaver Brand better. Lots better.

Tom

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Received an Akubra Campdraft Deluxe from the Heritage Collection today:

heritage.jpg

I don't know how these all compare with the other Akubra dress hats, but I won't be buying any more. I think the Imperial felt is actually nicer than the Heritage. I can't get a decent pinch to save my butt in either of my Campdraft hats. When you crease this felt, it bunches up in strange ways.

I'm glad I have these and I will wear them when the weather won't be nice, but I much prefer the Stetson, Borsalino, and Beaver Brand better. Lots better.

Tom

Sorry to hear of your problems creasing your Akubra's. " ... When you crease this felt, it bunches up in strange ways. " are you refering to the Heritage model in particular? Your photo shows a VERY NICELY done Teardrop in your Heritage felt CD, what don't you like about it ? I do not have an Akubra in this grade but all of my Imperial grade open crown hats have dry creased like a champ and when I add steam and some rain, they are just right.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Sorry to hear of your problems creasing your Akubra's. " ... When you crease this felt, it bunches up in strange ways. " are you refering to the Heritage model in particular? Your photo shows a VERY NICELY done Teardrop in your Heritage felt CD, what don't you like about it ? I do not have an Akubra in this grade but all of my Imperial grade open crown hats have dry creased like a champ and when I add steam and some rain, they are just right.

That's actually a diamond, bad angle to see.

It gets sort of cottage-cheese looking. Perhaps that's because of the thickness of the felt and the amount of stiffener.

Perhaps after it gets rained on a few times it'll settle in!

Tom

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
This Royal Stetson Deluxe just came in. It's a 7 1/2 but now fits like a 7 3/8. This is some great thin and soft felt for a western. I got it BIN on the bay for $35 plus $5 shipping
8a655529.jpg

b8909621.jpg

2dc6905d.jpg

3d2ef6a1.jpg

The sweat has two tears and there is a water stain on the front that I will work on. I'm going to live with the sweat being torn. It fits and it's comfortable. This may be my John Wayne hat - I may have to give my first shot at a rifleman roll :)

jbucklin

Practically Family
Nice Caribou colour jbucklin. And nice of you to pass your sage green to your son. Where did you hear the Chatham was being discontinued? I thought the Chatham was one of Stetson's bread an butter models as well as it being modified for other retailers like Noggintops Bear Creek.

You may be right Duper. I could be getting things confused. I looked back through my search history and saw on one website I checked out that the Sage Green Chatham had been discontinued. I also may have confused it with the discontinued Nostalgia. Anyway, I am relieved to hear that the Chatham is still in production.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Alexander Circle A Brand Wrangler

P1030064.JPG
P1030065.JPG

P1030066.JPG

Needs a little work on the flanging and crown shape. No beavers were harmed in the making of this felt.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Knox Superfine Cashmere(?)

P1030074.JPG
major moth damage
P1030072.JPG

P1030071.JPG
P1030070.JPG
P1030073.JPG
Screen%252520shot%2525202011-11-14%252520at%2525209.31.24%252520AM.png

Lots and lots of craters. Lightly loosened up fiber ends around and in damaged areas and its much less noticeable. Underside of brim was really lightened significantly by moth munching.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for not bidding, as I'm glad the price wasn't higher with the extensive moth damage.

Robert, let me ask you, do you buy hats with moth bites 'cause you don't mind wearing them like that or, like in the brown knox, because of the rarity of it as a collector's item meant more for it's significance and display value?

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Robert, let me ask you, do you buy hats with moth bites 'cause you don't mind wearing them like that or, like in the brown knox, because of the rarity of it as a collector's item?

I try to avoid moth damage, but as is often the case, the photos are too poor in quality or exclude views of damaged portions. Some very old and unusual hats require looser standards. The thicker fuzzy hats can be picked at a bit to lessen the visual presence of the damage. This one is wearable after some work without obvious issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1