Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blooze

Familiar Face
First vintage hat.

Don't guess it's that old, but $11.99 for a boxed Open Road I wasn't passing up. No moth bites, just dirty as all get out. The sweat is in excellent shape, but the liner looks a bit shabby. You can't really tell from the pics too well, but the whole thing needs a good cleaning probably beyond what I can give it. Any recommendations on where I could send it to get it cleaned and creased?

DSC8037a-L.jpg

DSC8038a-L.jpg

DSC8039a-L.jpg

Blooze

Familiar Face
Nice hat, but is it an Open Road?
The ribbon is not OR style, but it could have been changed.

Has Open Road stamped on the sweat, so the ribbon was maybe changed?

Added a couple of pics. The ribbon was definitely changed as you can see the shadow of the previous one at the bow. Any guess as to it's age. The other stamp is just the standard J.B. Stetson 3X one.

DSC8041a-M.jpg

DSC8040a-M.jpg

Last edited:

red71veloce

Familiar Face
Optimo in Chicago is where I send all of my hats for cleaning/refurb.....there are other options I'm sure other guys here will recommend, but after a crappy deal with one of his competitors, I will only send mine to Optimo....great communication as well.

Oh yeah....nice hat!

T

DJH

I'll Lock Up
New beater hat - Royal DeLux Stetson

So for quite a while, my go to nasty weather hat has been my Bluegrass Green Campdraft and I've been looking for something similar but in a lighter colour.

I thought about getting the new heritage CD, but that was rather pricey for what I intended to use the hat for. In the end, I spotted this OpenRoad/Strat wannabe Stetson on eBay and thought this would do the job.

The hat arrived today and (at a price about a third of the regular CD) I think it will do nicely. The trip with the USPS was not kind to the poor hat and some reshaping and steaming was needed. Other than that, everything is fine. I think the felt is 100% bunny rabbit - it feels like a slightly softer version of the Campdraft felt and the inside of the hat looks unused.

Note the cool ribbon treatment - I wonder if TonyB could reproduce it for me?

D334626-L.jpg

D334627-L.jpg

D334631-L.jpg

D334632-L.jpg

D334633-L.jpg

Oh - Tony, if you should see this, I was kidding about the ribbon :D:D

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
So for quite a while, my go to nasty weather hat has been my Bluegrass Green Campdraft and I've been looking for something similar but in a lighter colour.

I thought about getting the new heritage CD, but that was rather pricey for what I intended to use the hat for. In the end, I spotted this OpenRoad/Strat wannabe Stetson on eBay and thought this would do the job.

The hat arrived today and (at a price about a third of the regular CD) I think it will do nicely. The trip with the USPS was not kind to the poor hat and some reshaping and steaming was needed. Other than that, everything is fine. I think the felt is 100% bunny rabbit - it feels like a slightly softer version of the Campdraft felt and the inside of the hat looks unused.

Note the cool ribbon treatment - I wonder if TonyB could reproduce it for me?

D334626-L.jpg

D334633-L.jpg

Oh - Tony, if you should see this, I was kidding about the ribbon :D:D

If this is what you consider a "beater" what do you consider a "good" hat ? :) I wish my "beaters" looked as nice :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
If this is what you consider a "beater" what do you consider a "good" hat ? :) I wish my "beaters" looked as nice :)

That's because your beaters get trodden in the mud by horses and thrown in the bloody drinking trough! :D

He only just got it ... give it some time! ;)

Indeed, dirt and sweat will soon change things!

On the other hand, it is rather a nice hat, maybe I'll get it cleaned up and get a proper ribbon put on it. Oh; maybe one of Mr. Lefty's little Stratoliner pins as well - that will triple the value of the hat!! :D:D

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
[...] maybe I'll get it cleaned up and get a proper ribbon put on it. Oh; maybe one of Mr. Lefty's little Stratoliner pins as well - that will triple the value of the hat!! :D:D

Even if the hat looked like the one below, investing in a Stratoliner pin is unlikely to make it that much more valuable. What's more, changing the ribbon and cleaning are costly. Why not just leave as is and enjoy?

e5a4f69d.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Strat pins make everything better. :)

This one goes up tomorrow,
DSC_0016.jpg

as does this one.
closeup.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Zetwal - it was more a comment on the price Lefty charges for those bloody Strat pins than wanting to get one!

Lefty - think I'll get a mold and start making some. Reminds me of when us kids used to melt down lead pipes to make fishing weights. That's probably what finished off my brain cells! :D:D

T Rick

Practically Family
Zetwal - it was more a comment on the price Lefty charges for those bloody Strat pins than wanting to get one!

Lefty - think I'll get a mold and start making some. Reminds me of when us kids used to melt down lead pipes to make fishing weights. That's probably what finished off my brain cells! :D:D
There are repro's in sterling available for $25 shipped (I have one on order). But then, originals are generally worth more than copies. Certainly aren't making any more of them! I think the prices Lefty has been getting are quite reasonable (I've not yet seen a hat sell with an original pin).

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Here's a follow up shot, as promised, of a felt detail in natural light (100X Beaver by DRB finefurhats.com). I'm not entirely satisfied with my photography success, but this is the best one of what I took:
006copyk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88