Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dannyboy_883

New in Town
Carbon Grey Bogart

Just bought an Akubra Bogart. Changed the bash and the ribbon to something that suites me a little better...

P1000616.jpg

P1000615.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I've been wearing fedora's for nearly 7 years, but this is my first vintage one. I'm a novice when it comes to dating hats, so I'll leave it to you fellow loungers to figure out how old it is.
CIMG1367.jpg

Thats a GREAT looking LEE, GoldenEraFan! I especially like the triple stitched brim treatment. The proportions are very nice, the sweatband is brown leather, not black painted, and the liner was used in the 50's through the 60's, but Based on everything else, I would say that Lee if from the later part of the 50's.

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
Nice hat dannyboy. Looks like exactly what I'm after, too. Is it blue or gray or blue-gray? Also, how hard was changing the ribbon, and where did you get that new one? One more question: is that the one you're wearing in your profile pic? Anyway, really nice.

T Rick

Practically Family
Here we go, snagged this beauty a couple weeks ago, had it about a week. It spent 3 days in a bag with some newspaper in an effort to rid it of a light musty smell. Better, but not gone. Sure hope it will come out with copious airing out, as it's in great shape otherwise and I have no intention of letting a Hatter get his mitts on it!

standard.jpg

This is one of Fred H's repro Boeing 307 Stratoliner pins, he was temporarily out of the DC 3 pin.

standard.jpg

The sweatband is a little dry and has a few small tears, but it's still comfortable and serviceable. I think a little Lexol will fix it up, need to get my hands on some (do any large retailers carry it, or do I need to order some online?).

standard.jpg

If I've read the reference threads correctly, this style/color logo should put this hat at the late 1950's, same time I was made.

standard.jpg

It's a 7 1/8 Long Oval, I normally wear a 7 1/8. If this hat is any indication, I am actually somewhere between the two, as this one feels on the sides like many of my 7 1/8's feel on the front and back. I can handle wearing it, not excessively tight or loose anywhere, it just sort of grips my head in different places than other hats.

standard.jpg

The hat came to me with the center dent, I just tweaked it a bit lower in the back and added the pinches. It's a great. iconic hat, and I was VERY lucky to find it and get a bargain on it!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:

dannyboy_883

New in Town
Nice hat dannyboy. Looks like exactly what I'm after, too. Is it blue or gray or blue-gray? Also, how hard was changing the ribbon, and where did you get that new one? One more question: is that the one you're wearing in your profile pic? Anyway, really nice.

Hi Nightwing,
Carbon grey is a dark grey though I definitely think it has a blue tinge to it, I have noticed it can be considerably lighter under certain lighting.
I took the ribbon apart and re shaped it, adding a small red offcut that I had lying around. There is a very good tutorial for it kicking around here somewhere, If anybody has the link. The hat in my profile is a Fed IV, also Akubra!

Cheers!
Danny

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Chestnut St. Topper 1931

P1020552.JPG
P1020548.JPG

P1020553.JPG

Silk Top Hat with case and polishing pad sold May 28, 1931 at the Stetson 1224 Chestnut St. Retail Store. Note that the contemporary Derby(same tip logo) brim matches(corrected for precision).

Last edited:

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
Hi Nightwing,
Carbon grey is a dark grey though I definitely think it has a blue tinge to it, I have noticed it can be considerably lighter under certain lighting.
I took the ribbon apart and re shaped it, adding a small red offcut that I had lying around. There is a very good tutorial for it kicking around here somewhere, If anybody has the link. The hat in my profile is a Fed IV, also Akubra!

Cheers!
Danny

Thanks for the info dannyboy. I'm going to find that link and try this myself some day.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I don't quite understand this comment. To me, the brims look similar, but not an exact match. Am I misunderstanding something?
Photo angle and shadows make it less clear, but in person the binding, curvature and dimensions match(since this was done by hand I admit its not going to reach literal exactitude).

T Rick

Practically Family
The 50's Open Road I wore yesterday, still needs a bit of tweaking. This is it (along with my gray '80s OR) as it came to me.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This one shows the problem area of the brim, I've got it laying down much better, but still needs a bit more work.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Any thoughts on how to research the store it came from? Depending on when they closed, might help me get closer on the date (features tell me mid/late 50's).

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The rumpled Alpine crease had been there awhile I think, probably since new. Took a bit of steam to remove all the lines (two times), but there's now not a trace of the original crease. (ETA: Obviously, this pic is before steaming)

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Stetson 1X Nutria

My recent ebay purchase. The felt in this hat is soft with a chamois-like finish, easily hand creased. Brim (3" at sides, 3 1/4 front and back) is supple and fedora-like. I had a very difficult time getting the camera to focus for these first out of the carton pictures. Came with the original Cavanagh box. ;)

fray1.jpg

fray3.jpg

fray4.jpg

fray5.jpg

fray2.jpg

fray6.jpg

fray7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth