Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hey there Twack, that Cuenca looks very handsome on you. Sounds like your little lady obviously has good taste in men's hats and in her man!;)
Thwack said:
Brand new PB Cuenca arrived on monday. Very happy with this hat, the little woman likes it a lot and that goes a long way!

DSC00063.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice FED, Goose. Like I said before, You are "The Man from FED"!

IC, I like the ribbon color change and you are right; the thinner ribbon does make the crown look taller. Same color-wider ribbon would be too much color I think.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Playboy Mishap

I won this Playboy on ebay the other day. The felt and sweatband were so thin, that while re-blocking water crept up and soaked the sweat - never had this happen before. I worked it with my fingers as it dried, so that it didn't shrink up....and SNAP! After it dried, I worked Lexol into it in vast quantities, then used surgical tape to bring the band together, and to form a hinge with the part that ripped loose from the crown.

Ended up not mattering - as a 7 1/8 I couldn't have worn it and the sweat couldn't have taken a stretch. I have been stretching it 'naturally' on my head all morning and the surgical tape has allowed the sweat to move apart at the break just enough - Now it fits perfectly (I'm a rationalizer).

PlayboyBefAftMed.jpg

PlayboyAftSide.jpg

PlayboyAftZephsm.jpg

PlayboyAftInside.jpg

PlayboyAftMe.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I won this Playboy on ebay the other day. The felt and sweatband were so thin, that while re-blocking water crept up and soaked the sweat - never had this happen before. I worked it with my fingers as it dried, so that it didn't shrink up....and SNAP! After it dried, I worked Lexol into it in vast quantities, then used surgical tape to bring the band together, and to form a hinge with the part that ripped loose from the crown.

Ended up not mattering - as a 7 1/8 I couldn't have worn it and the sweat couldn't have taken a stretch. I have been stretching it 'naturally' on my head all morning and the surgical tape has allowed the sweat to move apart at the break just enough - Now it fits perfectly (I'm a rationalizer).

PlayboyAftMe.jpg

Nicely done! Looks great. :eusa_clap

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Buler and Lefty. This is my new favorite hat - it was going to fit me no matter what! Any ideas as to age? Thanks to everyone who laid off this so that I could bust it.

Lefty - did you ever post 'after' pics of that beautiful 'Hat City' hat? I saved a picture of it and I'm still amazed.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks Buler and Lefty. This is my new favorite hat - it was going to fit me no matter what! Any ideas as to age? Thanks to everyone who laid off this so that I could bust it.

Right around 1940, I'd guess.

They are great looking and feeling hats, aren't they? I fought the temptation to try for this one as a project of my own, but I watched it to the end. Glad you got it and cleaned and shaped it so well.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
Right around 1940, I'd guess.

They are great looking and feeling hats, aren't they? I fought the temptation to try for this one as a project of my own, but I watched it to the end. Glad you got it and cleaned and shaped it so well.

Thanks, Gene. Yes, they are very thin and soft, and have great lines - I'm completely hooked now. And I understand that temptation - I'm that way with every Borsalino I see, even if I already have a similar one. I also have that problem when I see a dirty beat-up looking hat that looks restorable - I really enjoy fixing things.

I think this one would have been big on you - it's a very large 7 1/8.

DOUGLAS

Great looking Playboy ScottF. They are addictive. I would have bid on that hat but I have one a similar shade.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:
Great looking Playboy ScottF. They are addictive. I would have bid on that hat but I have one a similar shade.

Thanks - I was sort of expecting you to jump in and bid, given the hat tastes I've seen you display. Yep, everything about this style of hat is perfect. I would love to run across a few more of them in other colors.

Mr. Paladin

HarpPlayerGene said:
Is the more blue-ish/grey color shown in the last (natural light) photo more accurate than the neutral grey in the first photos?

Gene, sorry I missed your question earlier. The outside picture is the true color of the hat. The flash from the inside photos gave it the neutral grey color.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Akubra Federation IV in Tawny Fawn

Got this last week, just getting around to posting now. BTW, for comparison's sake I'm using the same backdrop for all my hat shots. A little boring but it means that the colours of the hats won't be affected by the backdrop changing.

And don't ask my why I look so damn pompous, I'm just sorry that I do :)

Oh, I really am that pale too :(

3554625707_973774c9a4_b.jpg

3555439132_eb3ab08451_b.jpg

3556039521_cb5f48c884.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg