Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I like this one.
I like it too :)

Very nice, Joao! I like the color contrast; I would lose the feather, too.
Hey, it's my size! I will send you my shipping address. :p
Sorry, my size also and I want to keep it ;)

Wow, Joao! 8 inch open crown! Is that your tallest? It seems you might have a few in this range.
My black Tom Mix also have a 8" crown.

Spectacular, Joao! And it came in a genuine simulated wood box?! ;)
Yes it did. At least it's a hat box. Don't know when or if ever Stetson used this kind of box, but it's very sturdy.

Big Country is right, that hat's about the size of a small country. Very cool Joao.
Reminds me of this guy
Charlie-Daniels.jpg
Thank you. I would like to have his hat ;)

Joao, it looks great on you!
Thank you!

Here is a picture of it in sunlight. Nice shade it makes :D
20141002.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found a couple of early fifties Stetsons this morning.

This shot shows a little of what I think is some sort of silver paint on the sweatband and the liner. I have a feeling this hat was used as some sort of costume by someone. Almost brings tears to my eyes.

This one seems to have a newer sweatband. It has the modern size tag stitched to it but the embroidered liner and older reorder tags. I don't think I've ever seen a Stetson with that cream colored sweatband.
Pretty much all the stiffener is gone from this hat. It molds like clay and is very floppy. It looks a little better in person, not quite as dingy.

Rogera

This shot shows the one major flaw on the first gray hat. There is what looks like a felt tip pen mark right on the front. Does anyone know if a little naptha will take care of that?

Lucky day Roger!! Great finds.

Retro Spectator your new Stetson is really nice. Did you put the crease in it or did it come to you like that? Looks perfect.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I agree about Retro Spectator's crease. It has the sharp creasing that I don't recall seeing in hats from retailers. But my 60s Cavanagh has those sharp creases too, and it's one of my favorite hats!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Lucky day Roger!! Great finds.

Retro Spectator your new Stetson is really nice. Did you put the crease in it or did it come to you like that? Looks perfect.
I put the crease in. I don't believe that it is an actual crease though, since it is neither a diamond, nor a center dent. I sort of did a teardrop crease, but without the center going up, and the profile is more flat on top.

This shot shows the one major flaw on the first gray hat. There is what looks like a felt tip pen mark right on the front. Does anyone know if a little naptha will take care of that?

Great pick ups!

I don't think naptha will remove the ink. Is it deep into the felt? Lighter color felts are especially problematic.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Great pick ups!

I don't think naptha will remove the ink. Is it deep into the felt? Lighter color felts are especially problematic.

Spot cleaning felt, especially a dark tough stain, is going to clean/lighten that area. So even if you get some or all of the mark out, the surrounding area will probably lighten compared to the rest of the felt. A full hat cleaning after the spot cleaning may or may not even this out. Not an easy one to tackle.

B

Really doubt naphtha will take it out. And, as buler noted, spot treating will likely leave a visible ring and/or discoloration.

That hat being a vintage Mode Edge Stetson, it may well be worth investing more than would be justified for a lesser lid. I know what I would do if it were mine, but I'm reluctant to say just what that is, lest you were to try it and not be happy with the results. But then, if it were mine, I'd be prepared to take the hat apart and reblock it and put it back together 180 degrees removed from where it was, to make the front the back, and vice-versa. That way, if the spot was still visible, it would be less conspicuous at the rear of the crown than at the front. At least I wouldn't see it every time I gazed upon my beautiful self in the mirror.

Rogera

Thank you gentlemen for the positive remarks. Finds like these make this hobby so much fun. Luckily the silver hair paint came off of the sweatband and plastic liner tip with a little water and elbow grease. Some of it came off of the liner but that will take more work. Steve, Tony, buler, thanks for the info and opinions towards cleaning the ink mark but unfortunately I think the ink mark is permanent. Oh well, I feel I rescued a piece of history from no telling what fate.
These are my first Stetsons with the old style reorder tags. Everytime I start thinking "No more hats, I am running out of room!" I find something like this and get the fire started all over again. Oh well there are far worse afflictions than hat fever! Now I want something like Justin and Alan are always showing off from the earlier part of the 20th century :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe