Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RBH

Bartender
Hap said:
I just got this in the mail today - just an hour ago - so I haven't had a chance to take a picture of it on my noggin, but I will.

I returned an L.L. Bean gift (a coat) that just wasn't my style - they let me exchange it for the hat. I've heard some mixed reviews on here about this hat so I was hesitant to make the exchange, but I decided to go for it since it wasn't costing me anything.
It's a nice looking hat, fit and finish seem good it's comfortable and it will be the perfect camping, fishing, and hiking hat. We'll see how it holds up.
What style band does it have? At one time the Moose River was very Open Roadish.

My new Akubra's

Like everyone else in the lounge, I've hopped on the Akubra band wagon, but hey, why not, there is no place in upstate NY that I can get a 100% fur felt hat for $65 and it was less than a week to have them shipped from Australia for $35. That has no brainer written all over it.

Here is my Silverbelly campdraft, like almost everyone else already knew, it's more of a sand color than silver, I was going to get rid of it, but the wife fell in love with it, so here it sits on my head. the dark spots on top are from a wet bash that is still drying, for some reason, it wouldn't hold the shape from just steam.
campdraft01.jpg

campdraft02.jpg

campdraft03.jpg

campdraft04.jpg

Here is the Carbon Grey Fed IV standard, I absolutely fell in love with it before I even bashed it. I initially had it bashed aver DumbJaw's but it looked way too stovepipeish, so I changed it to a centerdent which allowed me to roll the top edges a little more so it looks a little better on me, at least I think it does.
fedIV01.jpg

fedIV02.jpg

fedIV03.jpg

fedIV04.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Rob, A smart fella usually (note I did not type "always") takes his wife's advice. Wise decision. THat Campdraft will look great when it dries out.
I like the Fed IV as well but, compared to the Campdraft, it looks small on you. I think you're a fella who can wear the dickens out of a hat with a wide brim (2 5/8" or wider) and a tall crown (5" or taller).
Two very nice hats!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rob, that campdraft looks great on you. I'm glad you decided to keep it. What Akubra calls silverbelly isn't what I think of as silverbelly either, but what do I know?

The Fed looks good too, but the campdraft was made for you.

BobC

At the end of last week I won my first ever e-bay hat. I'd been wanting to add a real Open Road to my collection, so I bid on three hoping I'd win one. Well, I won two instead. The first one arrived on Monday or Tuesday, and I've been waiting to take pictures of it in daylight.

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

I apologize for the close ups of the sweat being blurry, but hopefully you can make it out?

This one has seen some wear. The felt is pretty soft, but the hat still has some stiffness to it. The gold lettering on the sweat is faded too but still legible. I welcome any comments as to the age and quality of this hat from the experts here if you will, please.

I'll post some pics of it on my noggin later after my wife gets home from work. I tried the mirror approach, but I always have a heck of a time making that work.

carter

I'll Lock Up
TOO MANY!
245901343_af38fa8202.jpg

I wish people who want hats would post on a Hat Wanted thread in the Classifieds. Maybe then I could get rid of some hats and find the cat!
;) :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey, RobFedoraField. Great post showing some beautiful lids. Your shots of the Campdraft are excellent examples of how wetting a fur felt hat to crease it gives so much more control than steam. Just takes more patience for the drying so it's no wonder you never see that done at a western store, for instance where folks want their hat tweaked so they can put it on and walk right out.

BobC

RobFedoraField said:
I see a lot of posts with people buying / seeling hats a lot, on any give day, how many lids do you guys have? my two recent additions doubled my collection.

I've gathered up a bit of a colllection, not as many as some of these guys though.

3 Panamas - plus one in the works
4 Vintage - plus one more coming
4 Customs - one VS and 3 Buckaroos
3 Akubras - plus two coming

Once you get started it's hard to stop a snowball on a downhlll run, Rob.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
BobC said:
I've gathered up a bit of a colllection, not as many as some of these guys though.

Once you get started it's hard to stop a snowball on a downhlll run, Rob.

Definitely a slippery slope. I just started a year ago and I have 4 Akubras, 1 Camptown, and 2 panamas.

I also have one VS on order and a vintage Borsalino coming from EBAY. I really have to stop now.

BobC

I posted some pics of this hat this afternoon, but I didn't have any on the noggin shots. Here are a couple:

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

This hat, an OR, seems to me to sit high on my head. Is that how they usually are? And is there a customary way to wear an OR - front brim snapped up or snapped down? This one is my first real Open Road.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
IMG_0547.jpg

This hat, an OR, seems to me to sit high on my head. Is that how they usually are? And is there a customary way to wear an OR - front brim snapped up or snapped down? This one is my first real Open Road.

I like this way Bob, but it looks great on you either way. It doesn't look like it sits too high in the pics. I think you have a winner:eusa_clap

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Bob, I agree, I like it with the brim down and I don't think it looks too high on your head. I think you are a good match with that color, too.

Nice hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe