Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

porkpie to teardrop

jtrenalone

New in Town
Hello all,
I was wondering if a hat the is formed to a porkpie crease can be steamed out and re-formed to a teardrop? I have my eye on a hat, but it has a pretty solid porkpie crease,
Thanks in advance,
Joel

cptjeff

Practically Family
jtrenalone said:
Hello all,
I was wondering if a hat the is formed to a porkpie crease can be steamed out and re-formed to a teardrop? I have my eye on a hat, but it has a pretty solid porkpie crease,
Thanks in advance,
Joel
Short answer is yes. Long answer is that if the hat has had that crease for a long time, it may retain traces of the porkpie, but that won't be too noticeable to others, and odds are that you're the only one who would know.

What Capt Jeff said above. I have a vintage Royal Deluxe Stetson Open Road that had a long time telescope crease in it. The staining was fairly intense, even Optimo renovation didn't dull it out totally. Most of it is in the side dents now, so not that noticeable.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depending on the hat. Wet the crown till it is soaking. knock it out till it is open crown again. It may take more then one soak to get it to a proper open crown again. Let it dry completely. Then re-bash how you like.
Warning! If it is not a great felt, soaking it may cause shrinkage and tapering.

You can try pinching the front of the hat as it is to give it a teardrop look. "French Connection" Doyle hat

Just an idea

Johnny

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unless you're an unusual size, why not just wait for a hat with a
"C", open crown, or teardrop block already in it? Probably more
common than a porkpie and easier to deal with.

jtrenalone

New in Town
Yeah, I might just wait. My size is 7 3/8, and I am looking for a nice vintage hat in a darker brown shade, and found this porkpie hat that was in very nice condition, and from the era that I wanted. I will wait and see what price it goes for. Who knows, maybe a porkpie will look Ok on me!
Thanks for the advice from all:)
Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe