Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Train and bus station!

A nice, clean Art Deco bus station and a matching train station where you could board a train and be magically whisked away to the Golden Era equivalent of Our Town around the world - the Orient Express would come through once in a while! And you could connect to the fantasy travel of your choice, dirigibles, propeller planes, ocean liners...to the year of your choice around the globe.

And across the train tracks, I put in a bid for running the town opium den and seamy underbelly... of course, we don't have places like that in Our Town! No one admits it, at least.

And if our enthusiastic police force puts me out of business, I will be rehabilitated to being the pianist who knows every song and holds court in the speakeasy. And wears dramatic outfits, scaring small children. I would also like to be the town's Crazy Cat Lady.

I vote for snow by the way, just a bit for Christmas atmosphere.

Diamondback said:
Considering it's already zoned for an airstrip...:p

Checkride in the B-model (two-seater) is possible, but I can't let you take out one of the -A's without appropriate licenses--or the FAA'd pull mine!

Okay, forget just "two"--you just made me decide to park the entire 318th out there!

The B-model would be fine.
Parking the whole 318th would definitely require a conditional use permit. ;) :p

Would one straight from the United States Air Force be sufficient? (Where's that Top Gun Maverick "watch the birdie!" emoticon?lol)

Tomcat.gif

Unfortunately, while the single-seat F-106A interceptor has a reach of 1800 miles, without mid-air refueling the 106B trainer is only around 1600. But, once outside US airspace, it can do Mach 2...

Besides, that's a hell of a way to say thank-you to the folks who'd be keeping all those nasty Commie Bear and Blinder bombers from "dropping in"... I believe the word of the day is "ingrate"!:mad: For that, I think you get a low-level/high-speed pass at right about coffee-break time...
080124-F-1234S-015.jpg

:p

Miss 1929 said:
And across the train tracks, I put in a bid for running the town opium den and seamy underbelly... of course, we don't have places like that in Our Town! No one admits it, at least.

And if our enthusiastic police force puts me out of business...
You do like to live dangerously, don't you?! Especially since the PD's reserve is an admitted triggerhappy sociopath whose idea of "toys" generally fall into the Weapons of Mass Destruction category...:eek: lol

Diamondback said:
Unfortunately, while the single-seat F-106A interceptor has a reach of 1800 miles, without mid-air refueling the 106B trainer is only around 1600. But, once outside US airspace, it can do Mach 2...

Besides, that's a hell of a way to say thank-you to the folks who'd be keeping all those nasty Commie Bear and Blinder bombers from "dropping in"... I believe the word of the day is "ingrate"!:mad: For that, I think you get a low-level/high-speed pass at right about coffee-break time...
080124-F-1234S-015.jpg

:p

You do like to live dangerously, don't you?! Especially since the PD's reserve is an admitted triggerhappy sociopath whose idea of "toys" generally fall into the Weapons of Mass Destruction category...:eek: lol

Ok, Mach 2 it is. ;) :p
Did you also mention that the PD still uses rubber hoses and might resort to Capone tactics to get information out of people? :p ;)

Diamondback said:
Rubber hoses? Barbaric--I prefer Tasers myself...:D

As for standard police tactics, I wouldn't know--I only moonlight, remember? Between running a garrison and hosting the local interceptor unit, don't you think a full "cop" gig would be a little too much for one guy?lol

Oh, that's right. I got confused. It is tasers and rubber bullets. Sorry for the confusion. ;) :p

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
A nice, clean Art Deco bus station and a matching train station where you could board a train and be magically whisked away to the Golden Era equivalent of Our Town around the world - the Orient Express would come through once in a while! And you could connect to the fantasy travel of your choice, dirigibles, propeller planes, ocean liners...to the year of your choice around the globe.

And if our enthusiastic police force puts me out of business, I will be rehabilitated to being the pianist who knows every song and holds court in the speakeasy. And wears dramatic outfits, scaring small children. I would also like to be the town's Crazy Cat Lady.

Oh! You would need help running your seedy establishment. There is nothing to say the lirbrarian can't moonlight as a burlesque dancer!:D

Samantha

WH1

Practically Family
as a belly dancing, crazy cat lady I suppose your stage name would have to be something like Mata Hairy or Mata Hair Ball. :eek:

I know I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. Sometimes you have to give in to the bad pun.lol

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
WH1 said:
as a belly dancing, crazy cat lady I suppose your stage name would have to be something like Mata Hairy or Mata Hair Ball. :eek:

I know I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. Sometimes you have to give in to the bad pun.lol

But I am not going t be the crazy cat lady though! Thats miss 1929.:p

Samantha

Miss 1929

Happy to be mistaken for RetroGirl1941!

I know it's confusing, all these women with years in their names...

Rubber bullets? Tasers? That's not very Golden Era! I think a billy club should be all the cop on the beat gets to carry. Detectives can carry .38s. But detectives must wear fedoras, naturally.

Besides, a little old-fashioned graft will probably keep our police force happy to turn a blind eye to the (gasp!) belly-dancing librarian!

Maybe some more pie...

.38? Ouch! Do you really hate me so much that you would curse me with being required to carry an ineffective, subcaliber round? Besides, I'm an autoloader guy, could probably only handle a revolver if it was the only weapon available and a shot needed to go off "right now!"

One of the Ten Commandments of Pistolcraft:
Thou shalt never attend a gunfight with a sidearm chambered for a caliber less than the Holy Number of Forty-Five.
--from the Holy Gospel of St. John Moses Browning, 19:11.

And since the GI standard sidearm was also a favorite of Texas Rangers, there is a law-enforcement precedent... and also means I'd only need one pair of duty sidearms between "standard" and moonlighting gigs. ("One is none and two is one."--Master Smith)

Besides, Tasers may not be Golden Era, but they're really fun when used properly... as is the "soldering-iron-into-steak/Popsicle-into-subject's-back following a nice Frank Castle monologue about burn effects" combo.:eek: lol (The Punisher ain't vintage, but he darn well oughtta be...)

Besides, I'm a renegade, remember? That means by definition I'm outside conventional rules, and since my preferred tactics are "Classified Weapons Prototypes"...

Sarge

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Rubber bullets? Tasers? That's not very Golden Era! I think a billy club should be all the cop on the beat gets to carry. Detectives can carry .38s. But detectives must wear fedoras, naturally.

How about a blackjack/Sap for the bricks walkin' a beat? [huh]

Miss 1929

Those are for footpads.

Sarge said:
How about a blackjack/Sap for the bricks walkin' a beat? [huh]

It would be ungentlemanly for our police force to carry concealed weapons!

And dear, dear, Diamondback, I don't hate you at all! I just think maybe the criminals would have a better chance at living to stand trial (you are not the judge and jury, sir!) if you don't go blowing giant holes in them. Small holes are OK.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:

I sign up for a position as the town's resident Bobby-soxer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld