Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Is it the beaver belly fur, Dean that makes the significant difference? The pouncing and hand work makes the felt characteristic of different hat types/utility. But the raw material, Dean you speak of being different. I looked this morning on the FL for threads that spoke to beaver felt differences and did not find anything with facts...

Right Eric. The beaver belly fur is like the down of goose feathers. Greg of Winchester had a beaver belly felt pelt when we last toured the factory. I think a picture is in that thread. The fur of the beaver belly is lots softer than that of the rest of the beaver. It "felts" better than the longer, coarser fur. The belly fur is a silver/white color, hence silverbelly. The hat Greg wore was "Lone Ranger" white looking. Those photos outside The High Point show Greg in that hat. Think there are some inside shots as well.

davers

New in Town
WHOA! And WHOA!! Very nice hat!!!

I proudly present my first Optimo creation, the 'Michigan City'...

Oxblood felt, a lowered 'Dillinger' crown, ribbon bound edge (9L I believe), and a very RLK inspired ribbon. The credit for the dimensions and crown block go to Tiffani, I told her the image I wished to evoke, and she worked her magic... The result is a hat with ideal dimensions for my facial construction, and a decidedly vintage flair.

57244501.jpg

1815cde0.jpg

e9f2eb49.jpg

e255ae13.jpg

8da50da2.jpg

3cfbc276.jpg

70fab9a3.jpg

3cf1da72.jpg

4e8b5f01.jpg

8bbd8f0c.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Flute, I'm very jealous of that ribbon color, had they had it in stock when they made my hat I surely would have picked it. Congrats to you on a great Optimo.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
On the Optimo website, there is a video of Graham talking about their felt and he goes into their silverbelly for a bit. The color silverbelly takes its name from such undyed felt bodies. The Stetson 100, 7x clear beaver, and earlier 5x bodies are likewise undyed belly fur. It is supposedly the most water resistant part of the fur as well.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Right Eric. The beaver belly fur is like the down of goose feathers. Greg of Winchester had a beaver belly felt pelt when we last toured the factory. I think a picture is in that thread. The fur of the beaver belly is lots softer than that of the rest of the beaver. It "felts" better than the longer, coarser fur. The belly fur is a silver/white color, hence silverbelly. The hat Greg wore was "Lone Ranger" white looking. Those photos outside The High Point show Greg in that hat. Think there are some inside shots as well.

Thanks Dean! Big help sir.

Same - Thanks Jlee! I just tuned into the vids on the website - very interesting. Optimo has nothing but a proffesional, high quality website.

It is all I can do to sit on my hands and not order hats tonight!

Flute; Those are GRAND hats! Wear them proudly and often.

Eric -

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
I had one of my Vintage Open Roads serviced at Optimo.

Dropped it off and got to meet Graham
Graham2.jpg
I requested they send it back open crown.
HatandHelicopterAug72012014.jpg
Excellent work on cleaning and replacing the sweat band ...great band by the way.
HatandHelicopterAug72012015.jpg
HatandHelicopterAug72012016.jpg
I went to work on it with distilled water and some steam
HatandHelicopterAug72012018.jpg
HatandHelicopterAug72012020.jpg
The finished result
ChicagoandHatsJuly282012002.jpg
ChicagoandHatsJuly282012006.jpg
VERY PLEASED! Now to go back for the Silverbelly I tried on and fell in love with!
Optimo1.jpg

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Anybody interested in a Optimo traveler, that's in beautiful condition? Black size 8, I will be posting it on the 'Bay in the next couple of days but I thought I'd post it here first. Please PM me if you're interested

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123