Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, so some things in the golden era were not too cool...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did you know American Jews cheered when they heard of British soldiers being killed? I have a book written by a popular American writer who said "Every time a British soldier gets killed I have a little holiday in my heart". Yeah, you and Adolf Hitler. So I checked the publication date in the front of the book, and it was 1948.

Hi

Check the time period. That would have been written when the World's Jews were moving to what is now Israel and the British Army was trying to keep them out. No massacres etc that I'm aware of, but there was some fighting / bloodshed. At some time, both ole Adolph and the Jews didn't like British Soldiers, but I doubt it was at the same time.

later

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Hi

Check the time period. That would have been written when the World's Jews were moving to what is now Israel and the British Army was trying to keep them out. No massacres etc that I'm aware of, but there was some fighting / bloodshed. At some time, both ole Adolph and the Jews didn't like British Soldiers, but I doubt it was at the same time.

later

Exactly. You nailed it. How many people are aware of these nuances of history? I suppose I shouldn't let it bother me when I see the past portrayed as if it was some kind of a cartoon show. I suppose I should be happy people are aware that things happened before they were born, that had an influence on the world we live in.

p51

One Too Many
History is a lot messier and more complicated than most people believe, even those who consider themselves well informed. Time wears away the sharp edges and leaves a smooth surface. But if you go back to contemporary sources you see some shocking things.
Too true.
History is, largely, a condensed version of the facts, and never showing the subjective and personalized nature of how different groups handled or thought about things as that takes too much time to get across.
I'm reminded of a Simpson's episode where someone is trying to help Apu pass the US Citizen test with history questions:
Examiner: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter...
Examiner: Wait, wait... just say slavery.
Apu: Slavery it is, sir.
It gets tiring that people think all women in the 1920s were flappers, all young people in the 1960s were hippies and that everyone backed WW2 with a naivety that would make Beaver Cleaver blush and backed FDR all the way. The reality of this all is quite the contrary of what is being taught in schools and it drives me nuts to know that.

Too true.
History is, largely, a condensed version of the facts, and never showing the subjective and personalized nature of how different groups handled or thought about things as that takes too much time to get across.
I'm reminded of a Simpson's episode where someone is trying to help Apu pass the US Citizen test with history questions:

It gets tiring that people think all women in the 1920s were flappers, all young people in the 1960s were hippies and that everyone backed WW2 with a naivety that would make Beaver Cleaver blush and backed FDR all the way. The reality of this all is quite the contrary of what is being taught in schools and it drives me nuts to know that.

Indeed. Only 25% of the youth in the 1960s and 70s were hippies. It is just that they were all over the news and in public making idiots of themselves en masse. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Indeed. Only 25% of the youth in the 1960s and 70s were hippies. It is just that they were all over the news and in public making idiots of themselves en masse. :p

There were great swaths of the country where "The Sixties" never happened. We never had a single rock record in our house when I was growing up -- the closest thing to it was my mother's 78 of "Sh-Boom" -- we never knew anyone who used pot, LSD, or any of the rest of that crap, the only protest marches we ever saw were union picket lines down at the docks, and I never saw an actual in-the-flesh hippie until 1975. The poor soul was lost, so we pointed him to California and sent him on his way.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
There were great swaths of the country where "The Sixties" never happened. We never had a single rock record in our house when I was growing up -- the closest thing to it was my mother's 78 of "Sh-Boom" -- we never knew anyone who used pot, LSD, or any of the rest of that crap, the only protest marches we ever saw were union picket lines down at the docks, and I never saw an actual in-the-flesh hippie until 1975. The poor soul was lost, so we pointed him to California and sent him on his way.

Its OK, Lizzie. The kids in my high school took up your slack. :eek:

AF

rjb1

Practically Family
"Did you know American Jews cheered when they heard of British soldiers being killed? I have a book written by a popular American writer who said "Every time a British soldier gets killed I have a little holiday in my heart". Yeah, you and Adolf Hitler. So I checked the publication date in the front of the book, and it was 1948."
Wasn't that when Paul Newman fought for the independence of Israel?? (assisted by Sal Mineo...)

Renault

One Too Many
A bit of trivia along those lines. Col. John Patterson of the Lions of Tsavo fame (You remember the Val Kilmer/ Michael Douglas movie) was very close friends of the Netanyahus. He was kinda the godfather for Benjamin. I believe Patterson commanded or XO'ed the London Jewish Regt In the Great War. Might look it up.

Ok edit! He was godfather to Yoni's. Bennie's older brother that was killed in the Entebbe raid. You may also wish to look up his association with a certain "Macomber" affair.

Last edited:
I wish I had you experience. They were everywhere out here. The dope, the dopeheads, the protests and the crap. They still are here, in fact. people really don't understand until they lived it and why they are worthy of disdain. You sent one back in 1975?! Darn! I thought I got rid of him!

kaiser

A-List Customer
I wish I had you experience. They were everywhere out here. The dope, the dopeheads, the protests and the crap. They still are here, in fact. people really don't understand until they lived it and why they are worthy of disdain. You sent one back in 1975?! Darn! I thought I got rid of him!

We lived in Northern California in the late 60's so I know what you are talking about. We then moved to a small Indiana town due to my Dad's work and it was total culture shock for my brother and I. We even had to get our hair cut before dtarting school as it did not meet the dress code !I think that there were large parts of America that really did not see any of the Hippie movement at all. A west coast thing mainly.

We lived in Northern California in the late 60's so I know what you are talking about. We then moved to a small Indiana town due to my Dad's work and it was total culture shock for my brother and I. We even had to get our hair cut before dtarting school as it did not meet the dress code !I think that there were large parts of America that really did not see any of the Hippie movement at all. A west coast thing mainly.
Oh yeah, that is why it kills me when people who have never had to deal with hippie romanticize them. Just the smell was bad enough to kill any romantic notions. lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe