Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Sissy Actors but REAL MEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
He has fought in over 3 wars - From Vietnam to Operation Iraqi Freedom. He has served in two branches of the U.S. Armed Forces for over 20 years. He has served the public as a DoD Police Officer for nearly 20 years. He has aimed for the CIA and was almost hired.

Due to him not having a degree at the time that he was interviewed by "The Company", he was told to come back when he obtained a degree. Even then, I know that he would have been an excellent agent. It is an honor to submit: My Dad.

Father of 3 children. One of them he likes to call "The Headache" because he kindly received so many of them courtesy of his first born.

A man amongst men. He has taught me how to live my life like a good, strong, and responsible man. He has forged me into his own image (If not a better one). A Former Marine. A Life-Long Soldier and Law Enforcement Officer. The Best Dad Any Stubborn Son Could Hope For. My Father, Ricardo A. Jr.

Love you, Daddy.

http://squidly.com/archives/cat_iraq_photos.php

matei

One Too Many
Veronica Parra said:
Our own Lounger, Matei, looks quite a lot like Monsieur Jean Moulin:

--------Moulin-----------------Matei
f6b0a2b3.jpg
stetson-2.jpg

:)

Jean Moulin was indeed a real man! I am flattered and honoured that some would think I resemble him. I think it is all in the hat. ;)

I wonder if I would have the same courage to stand up to foreign oppressors as Monsieur Moulin did? I would like to think I would be able to, but I hope I never have to find out.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Lena_Horne said:
I read that he was shot but a terribly thick manuscript (I think it was a copy of the speech he was giving but I'm not sure) he had stored in his suit jacket ended up saving his life. Was he shot more than once during the assassination attempt?

L_H

His gabbiness (thick manuscript) saved him. There was just one shot that hit him.
It wasn't silly for a politician with a theatrical bent. He seized the moment of high drama and delivered the speech in his usual impassioned, fist-pounding style.

There have been certain people who have had the ability to sway people to a shouting roar of support. Whether this ability is used for good or evil ends is a measure of character. Lenin had it. Trotsky moreso. So did Hitler. Roosevelt had this quality in spades, and used if for the common good.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
TommySalieri said:
He has fought in over 3 wars - From Vietnam to Operation Iraqi Freedom. He has served in two branches of the U.S. Armed Forces for over 20 years. He has served the public as a DoD Police Officer for nearly 20 years. He has aimed for the CIA and was almost hired.

Due to him not having a degree at the time that he was interviewed by "The Company", he was told to come back when he obtained a degree. Even then, I know that he would have been an excellent agent. It is an honor to submit: My Dad.

Father of 3 children. One of them he likes to call "The Headache" because he kindly received so many of them courtesy of his first born.

A man amongst men. He has taught me how to live my life like a good, strong, and responsible man. He has forged me into his own image (If not a better one). A Former Marine. A Life-Long Soldier and Law Enforcement Officer. The Best Dad Any Stubborn Son Could Hope For. My Father, Ricardo A. Jr.

Love you, Daddy.

http://squidly.com/archives/cat_iraq_photos.php

Perfect! :eusa_clap

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Know what "golden age" actors had more than today's? Stage presence. They had the equivilance to "the force," if you will, much more so than guys of today. Only a few today have a strong persona and are comfortable with who they are and who they are portraying. I don't have to name drop because you know who they are. No Keanu Reeves is not one.:)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some of the golden age actors also served in the military--they weren't all just pretty faces. Audie Murphy (sp?) has been mentioned; Clark Gable and Ronald Reagan also served. Jimmy Stewart had a brief but impressive career as a flyer. In fact, he helped plan the air support for the D-Day invasion. He retired from the Army-Air Force a general. Compare that to the Baldwin boys.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Frank Dux. No, I'm kidding.

Robert Mitchum. Was on a chain gang. Bummed across the country multiple times. Got his first acting job by taming the horse that injured the actor he was replacing. Was married to the same woman, his high school sweetheart, all his career.

But even more than Robert Mitchum was Mitchum's step father, a British soldier with one of the most amazing records I'd ever read. I forget his name though.

Haversack

One Too Many
Consider also the Golden age actors who had seen the elephant in the previous war. Basil Rathbone, Ronald Colman, Victor McLaglan to name a few. McLaglan in fact was once the Provost marshal of Bagdad around the time that Iraq blew up in revolt after that war. Similarly, two other actors whose images do not drip testosterone but who were hard men when they had to be were David Niven and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Google Niven with Phantom, and Fairbanks Jr. with "beach jumper" if you have any questions.

Haversack

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I submit Eddie Albert. From Wikipedia:

Albert served in the United States Navy during World War II as a lieutenant. He was awarded the Bronze Star for his actions during the Battle of Tarawa in 1943, when he rescued a group of wounded Marines under enemy fire.

EddieAlbert1.jpg

magneto

Practically Family
Lena_Horne said:
I read that he was shot but a terribly thick manuscript (I think it was a copy of the speech he was giving but I'm not sure) he had stored in his suit jacket ended up saving his life. Was he shot more than once during the assassination attempt?
L_H

"During a stop in Milwaukee on his 1912 "Bull Moose" campaign for the presidency, Roosevelt was shot at close range by John Schrank, a psychotic New York saloonkeeper.
Roosevelt was extremely lucky. He had the manuscript of a long, 50-page speech in his coat pocket, folded in two, and the bullet was no doubt slowed as it passed through it. He also had a steel spectacle case in his pocket, and the bullet traversed this, too, before entering Roosevelt's chest..." from http://www.doctorzebra.com/prez/g26.htm

At his museum/house either the manuscript or the glasses case with the hole in it is on display, IIRC.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Ah yes. I thought of the steel case, but feeling that I was probably wrong, I deleted from my original post. Thank you very much. I'm glad to have had that clarified.

I would also like to submit all four of TR's sons, Ted Jr, Kermit, Archie and Quentin. My personal favorite, of course, being Kermit:

U632381INP.jpg

From Wikipedia (though I couldn't say this is incredibly reliable given their checkered past):

Kermit Roosevelt I (October 10, 1889 – June 4, 1943) was a son of U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt. Born into TR's remarkable family, Kermit was an explorer on two continents with his father, graduate of Harvard University, a courageous soldier serving in two world wars, a successful businessman, and a gifted writer. Despite his many talents and interesting life, he fought a life-long battle with depression.

Kermit was born at the Roosevelt residence Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay, New York the second born in a large family. Kermit's oldest brother was Theodore Jr., nicknamed Ted and Teddy. His younger siblings were Ethel, Archibald, and Quentin. He also had an older half sister, Alice, from his father's first marriage to Alice Roosevelt.

As a child, he was a delicate boy with little resistance to illness and infection. His nurse, knowing of his small appetite, would entice him to eat steak by calling it "tender-lion." Kermit had a natural flair for language and was an avid reader. Always a sensitive child, he didn't take well to teasing and his siblings had to learn to respect his quiet and introspective nature. As a young child, he showed a talent for writing that would lead to his recording his experiences in World War I that he published in book form.

After attending the Groton School, Kermit attended college at Harvard. In 1908 as a freshman, he and TR, his father, both of whom loved nature and outdoor sports went on a safari in Africa. After this trip and a swing through Europe, Kermit returned to Harvard and completed a four years of study in two and one-half years.

One of Kermit's father's most popular books, Through the Brazilian Wilderness, was about the heroic father-and-son expedition into the Amazon Basin Brazilian jungle in 1913. Kermit and TR went on what would become known as the Roosevelt-Rondon Scientific Expedition, exploring the Brazilian jungle with famous Brazilian explorer Colonel Cândido Rondon. During this expedition, they discovered the Rio of Doubt, later renamed Rio Roosevelt in honor of the President as well as branch of that river would be named the Rio Kermit in Kermit's honor.

The rather remarkable rest can be found at Wikipedia.

L_H

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
While Mr. Woods was certainly an impressive man, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this little detail bothered me immensely:

"During his early time in the military, he married Barbara Woods Gary. They had three children: Kevin, Earl Jr., and Royce. In interviews he said he rarely saw these children, often claiming that these children were a 'trial run' for raising his future son, Tiger."-- Wikipedia

L_H

Feraud

Bartender
Lena_Horne said:
"During his early time in the military, he married Barbara Woods Gary. They had three children: Kevin, Earl Jr., and Royce. In interviews he said he rarely saw these children, often claiming that these children were a "trial run" for raising his future son, Tiger."-- Wikipedia

L_H
Ouch! That's gonna leave a scar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe