Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Sissy Actors but REAL MEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
scotrace said:
I don't think the Pope can be easily fit into our list of Manly Men. I'm looking for dashing, heroic men of the supreme pirate/cowboy/soldier/brilliant/cigar chomping/kiss the girls type.

I'd keep him in here. One can be a great person AND a "real man".

There's no reason to believe that the young Karol Wojtyła (before entering the priesthood) didn't "kiss the girls". Apparently, women found him very attractive, and he got along famously with them.

Athletic? Definitely. Heroic? Definitely. A soldier? Well, he did resist the Nazis.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
I'll put in a vote for John Basilone. Marine winner of the Medal of Honor at Guadalcanal in 1942, Basilone was sent home a hero to sell war bonds and train troops. He requested to return to combat duty, to be with his Marines. He was killed on Iwo Jima on February 19, 1945.

They called him "Manila John" because he had served a hitch in the US Army in the Philippines before WWII and told colorful stories about his times there. Movie star handsome, he was married to a female Marine shortly before returning overseas the last time.

http://www.cimorelli.com/pie/heroes/basilone.htm

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ted Williams.

The greatest hitter ever to play the game of baseball, who interrupted his career *twice* to fly as a Marine pilot, in WW2 and Korea. And who never took any guff or bunk from the Boston media, then as now the most ferocious in the country.

The sad circus that surrounded his death did nothing to diminish his life.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Colonel Robert Morgan

We all know what he accomplished. I had the honor of meeting the gentleman before he passed away.

ColRobertMorgan.jpg

Having, myself, a distinct lack of testosterone ...

... i nominate Benito Mussolini. The man gave speeches bare chested! Can't say more "manly (real?) man" than that, eh what?

Upside down in a gas station. Now that's a real man's death!

Second is George Orwell. Shot in the throat but continued fighting.

And Third are all those men (normal, not real) who've lived good lives. Never been shot (or shot at), never been huntin', not womanisers (and don't fantasize to be so).

What a silly concept.

bk

If we're talkin' real men, we might as well throw in Oscar Wilde. A man who wasn't scared to be who he was despite the fact that it meant going to jail. Now that's a man!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Veronica Parra said:
Like any "real man", Teddy Roosevelt had his share of hard knocks:

His wife and mother died on the same day, February 14, 1884.

He was blind in his left eye. He lost his eyesight when he was boxing.

He never spoke of Alice Lee again.

Ditto the blindness. Simply did not speak of it.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Veronica Parra said:
Like any "real man", Teddy Roosevelt had his share of hard knocks: His wife and mother died on the same day, February 14, 1884.
He was blind in his left eye. He lost his eyesight when he was boxing.

He also had asthma as a boy and was a stereotypical Eastern 'dude' when he first showed up in the west, with glasses and a high-pitched voice. The subsequent razzing from the locals didn't stop TR from single-handedly chasing some thieves through a blizzard and bringing them to justice.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Story said:
He also had asthma as a boy and was a stereotypical Eastern 'dude' when he first showed up in the west, with glasses and a high-pitched voice. The subsequent razzing from the locals didn't stop TR from single-handedly chasing some thieves through a blizzard and bringing them to justice.

Nicknamed "Old Hasten Thither."
Yet, Manly.

Edward Laurence Doheny (1856-1935), an American oil tycoon who first sought his fortune out west. He tried his hand at several careers that befitted a drifter: mule driver, gold miner, fruit packer, singing waiter, pimp, and gunslinger. Woke up one morning in the Black Hills and found a grizzly bear on top of him. Fought and killed it with a bowie knife, but not before being badly mauled, leaving deep scars on his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe