Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Sissy Actors but REAL MEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
jamespowers said:
The average PT boat commander would have been disciplined at least for such ineptness. A fast PT boat got hit by that slow huge ship. That is the definition of ineptitude. What was he paying attention to? :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Well, duh. I'd forgotten what got his crew into that mess to begin with.

Withdrawn. Pouffy-haired hatless weasel, says I!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
The average PT boat commander would have been disciplined at least for such ineptness. A fast PT boat got hit by that slow huge ship. That is the definition of ineptitude. What was he paying attention to? :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

The least the guy could do was save the other sailors for getting them in such a mess.:D Getting a PT boat rammed by a destroyer is like getting a racing bike rammed by a City bus.:eek:

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If some feel he's heroic, I can respect that.:D

Salv

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
The least the guy could do was save the other sailors for getting them in such a mess.:D Getting a PT boat rammed by a destroyer is like getting a racing bike rammed by a City bus.:eek:

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If some feel he's heroic, I can respect that.:D

He requested active service in WW2 and was sent to the Pacific - how is that not heroic?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Salv said:
He requested active service in WW2 and was sent to the Pacific - how is that not heroic?

Big Deal!:eusa_doh: The U.S. had 16 million men in the armed services during WWII. If you think that is heroic then Richard Nixon must be a superhero, because as a birthright Quaker he could have avoided military service altogether.:D But, Nixon still requested active service and he too was sent to the Pacific.

Like I said, if some think he's heroic I'll respect their opinion.

Salv

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Big Deal!:eusa_doh: The U.S. had 16 million men in the armed services during WWII. If you think that is heroic then Richard Nixon must be a superhero, because as a birthright Quaker he could have avoided military service altogether.:D But, Nixon still requested active service and he too was sent to the Pacific.

Like I said, if some think he's heroic I'll respect their opinion.

So should the post of yours in the Remembering D-Day today thread where you wrote
Hat's off to all the veterans of WWII.:eusa_clap
be qualified to read "Hat's off to not quite all the veterans of WWII"?

By the way, what was your man Reagan doing during WW2?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Salv said:
So should the post of yours in the Remembering D-Day today thread where you wrote be qualified to read "Hat's off to not quite all the veterans of WWII"?

By the way, what was your man Reagan doing during WW2?

Not really. All who put on the uniform of this great nation need to be saluted, because each and everyone of them gave up a part of their lives so that others may sleep peacefully at night. Those who made the ultimate sacrifice deserve the highest respects.

As in every human endeavor there will be mistakes that are/were made. Kennedy's command of the PT Boat was a mistake. It was only lionized for political purposes. A movie ought to be made about Bob Dole or Dan Inouye battles in Italy which left both men partially paralyzed.

Reagan was in the military during WWII. He didn't see combat, but his contribution was making flight training films that the Army Air Corps used when we liberated Europe.:eusa_clap Out of the 16 million only about 2-3 million saw actual combat. But, each of those 16 million deserve respect and salutation.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Salv said:
Excellent choice - also the first African American to command white American troops. He died leading the advance against Mosquito Ridge in the Brunete offensive.

Please don't confuse paramilitary mercenaries with "American troops". This is a disservice to all the fine men and women who take an oath to defend the United States. American troops were not sent to Spain during the Spanish Civil War.

Salv

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Not really. All who put on the uniform of this great nation need to be saluted, because each and everyone of them gave up a part of their lives so that others may sleep peacefully at night. Those who made the ultimate sacrifice deserve the highest respects.

...except John F Kennedy it seems.

Lincsong said:
Reagan was in the military during WWII. He didn't see combat, but his contribution was making flight training films that the Army Air Corps used when we liberated Europe.:eusa_clap

Ah yes, that's truly heroic.

Salv

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Please don't confuse paramilitary mercenaries with "American troops". This is a disservice to all the fine men and women who take an oath to defend the United States. American troops were not sent to Spain during the Spanish Civil War.

They were American and they took up arms against fascism - just as the rest of their countrymen would do four years later. They sound like 'American troops' to me. The fact that they weren't defending the United States is irrelevant.

And please don't you confuse mercenaries with idealists. Granted there were a few adventurers who went to Spain and joined the Lincoln and Washington Battalions, but the vast majority of the 2800 Americans who fought in Spain did so out of a hatred for fascism.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Salv said:
They were American and they took up arms against fascism - just as the rest of their countrymen would do four years later. They sound like 'American troops' to me. The fact that they weren't defending the United States is irrelevant.

And please don't you confuse mercenaries with idealists. Granted there were a few adventurers who went to Spain and joined the Lincoln and Washington Battalions, but the vast majority of the 2800 Americans who fought in Spain did so out of a hatred for fascism.

It is very relevant. They weren't fighting for the U.S.A. they were fighting for a brutal communist regime. Communism is not an ideal but a form of slavery. Communism is responsible for the death of millions. Not very idealistic.:eek:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Salv said:
...except John F Kennedy it seems.

Ah yes, that's truly heroic.

I never questioned Kennedy's service. He deserves a clap for that, but not for getting a PT boat rammed by a destroyer.

I never said that Reagan's service was heroic, however, what he did was of immeasurable help in the defeat of Germany.:eusa_clap

Salv

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
It is very relevant. They weren't fighting for the U.S.A. they were fighting for a brutal communist regime. Communism is not an ideal but a form of slavery. Communism is responsible for the death of millions. Not very idealistic.:eek:

Incorrect. They were fighting for the broadly left-wing Republican government of Spain, many of whose members had an intense distrust and hatred for Soviet style communism. We went over this on the Axis thread a while ago - the Spanish Republican government of 1936 was not "a brutal communist regime."

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Salv said:
Incorrect. They were fighting for the broadly left-wing Republican government of Spain, many of whose members had an intense distrust and hatred for Soviet style communism. We went over this on the Axis thread a while ago - the Spanish Republican government of 1936 was not "a brutal communist regime."

Doesn't matter if it was Soviet style or not. Communism is just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe