Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My father 50 year old cowhide.

dsiddons

New in Town
Would like some help maybe ID this jacket. Tag is missing and small tags inside says: leather clean only or send or bring to: Aircraft Process of America, NY, NY 212-586-3737

dsiddons

New in Town
IMG_1788.JPG
Would like some help maybe ID this jacket. Tag is missing and small tags inside says: leather clean only or send or bring to: Aircraft Process of America, NY, NY 212-586-3737

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It has a strong resemblance to the Flying Type ANJ-4 jacket. See here.
A friend of mine has the ASJ, his, like the one in your photo, has elasticated sleeve cuffs and dark sheepskin collar. Having said that, I'm not too well informed on such fine jackets, it's just a speculative guess.

Xopher

A-List Customer
I have the exact same jacket that was given to me years ago. It belonged to my friends father. These were pretty common civilian flight jacket look alikes. There used to be tons of them floating around in the late 70s I suspect. Mine still has the tag but alas it only says Genuine Leather in large letters, so no makers mark. I know a lot of these were made for department stores back in the day, like sears roebuck and others alike and If I were to hazard a guess I'd say they were probably worn frequently by Airline Pilots back in the day, kind of like the generic uniform flight jackets airline pilots wear today. These are starting to get more popular as affordable vintage jackets among the Rockabilly crowd since they have a 50s flair to them and can pick them up for $50-$150 at swap meets. I wore mine for about a decade before I sprung for a B-6

dsiddons

New in Town
IMG_1789.PNG
IMG_1789.PNG
I just happened to get on eBay after google the Phone number on the inside tag. Came up as a Schotts NY. Found the exact jacket in mint condition for sale on ebay. 1,500$.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it's a Schott 674 bomber jacket, a common eighties style. I had one exactly like it, I bought it new in around 1983 for $99. An extremely tough, warm jacket... but not an on-spec military service flight jacket.

dsiddons

New in Town
Yeah, it's a Schott 674 bomber jacket, a common eighties style. I had one exactly like it, I bought it new in around 1983 for $99. An extremely tough, warm jacket... but not an on-spec military service flight jacket.
My mother bought this for my dad in 1970 ish. It is heavy and makes all kinds of noise. Happy I have it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I believe they made that style, or very similar ones, in naked cowhide for a long time, before they introduced the current 184SM. (Donald Sutherland wears one in the 1970 WWII film Kelly's Heroes, which is an anachronism, it should be an A-2!) I wore mine through several NYC winters, they're excellent jackets.

When I got my 674, there was a choice between models with the fur collar and white pile lining, and ones with a plain leather collar and quilted lining. The current 184 combines both styles, having removable collar fur and lining. It also has a different back design: a G-1 style belted back. The 674 had a plain back with a horizontal seam across the shoulder blades, and a gusset-like piece connecting to the side panel on the underside of the sleeve.

dsiddons

New in Town
I believe they made that style, or very similar ones, in naked cowhide for a long time, before they introduced the current 184SM. (Donald Sutherland wears one in the 1970 WWII film Kelly's Heroes, which is an anachronism, it should be an A-2!) I wore mine through several NYC winters, they're excellent jackets.

When I got my 674, there was a choice between models with the fur collar and white pile lining, and ones with a plain leather collar and quilted lining. The current 184 combines both styles, having removable collar fur and lining. It also has a different back design: a G-1 style belted back. The 674 had a plain back with a horizontal seam across the shoulder blades, and a gusset-like piece connecting to the side panel on the underside of the sleeve.
This is interesting info thanks. It's definitely warm has a snug natural fit. My dad said they got rid of the fur collars because guys were catching them on fire with cigarettes. I can image pressurized cabins allowed for lighter jackets came later.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I own one of these Schott 674 bomber jackets, they are all over ebay, with and without fur collar. Great casual jacket, if anyone wants to pick up one, I can only recommend it. Sizing is kind of small with them, you may want to size up. And they are short, so nothing for people who like their jackets to go way past their belt.

dsiddons

New in Town
I own one of these Schott 674 bomber jackets, they are all over ebay, with and without fur collar. Great casual jacket, if anyone wants to pick up one, I can only recommend it. Sizing is kind of small with them, you may want to size up. And they are short, so nothing for people who like their jackets to go way past their belt.
Everything above is correct. Size up for sure and they are old school short. Waist at best. I personally like a jacket at the waist but I'm kinda short and dumpy. Hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe