Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What do you use for the top coat to seal the dye? Curious to exact product that you use so that I can copy that haha.

Which side are you going to use more? Both colors look fantastic so it would be a coinflip if it’s me haha.

Other thing is the patina, wear marks on the inside will be totally different than the outside, so when you flip, it will be interesting. I love it see that after you put some mileage on it this coming fall/winter.
I have used resolene in the past, I copied from Himels YT videos actually. haha. But for this one I want to try just beeswax because I will mostly be wearing the brown on the inside and I think beeswax will be better than resolene rubbing against inside clothes.
In hindsight the inside brown layer would probably work better in just natural (unfinished) leather. But at the time, I couldn't find ones thin enough, and to skive there is extra cost and this is already a more expensive build with the extra material... But yeah I think natural unifinshed leather would work much better in the reversibles the inside will be a clean environment for the natural to cure and patina well instead of looking raggy if worn on the outside. Like Peter's vintage jackets they seem to have the inside waist band done in natural leather and over the years it just worn into nice reddish golden brown, not the dirty patina we see a lot on the natural jackets.
I have to weigh the jacket tonight. It was heavier than I thought it would be. two sided leather. But still reasonable.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Took some fit pics of the hoodie just now, lighter on the scale than I expected, only 6.5lbs, feels like over 7, probably because of the double sided hood. Black knits would’ve been better aesthetically, I’ll just re-dye it with some Rit for wool. Also in hindsight, reversible would probably work as well or better with leather on one side and maybe denim or other heavier cotton fabric on the other. Leather gets a bit grabby on the inside, will use some beeswax to see if it gets slipperier. I know this isn’t 30s to 50s design per se, but I do wear hoodies more often than I should, and JL built me a forever hoodie.

IMG_1023.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1099.jpeg

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
It looks very drapy even though it’s reversible.

The olive knits on brown side looks good. It just didn’t go well with black since it pops out more. Could have you done different colors on the knits as well?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah this roll of leather is really drapey, I got lucky there.
The knits will need an overdye job to black and I think that’ll work on both sides, especially the black side.
I got extra leather left in this roll I’m gonna see if I can get another shirt out of it haha.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Took some fit pics of the hoodie just now, lighter on the scale than I expected, only 6.5lbs, feels like over 7, probably because of the double sided hood. Black knits would’ve been better aesthetically, I’ll just re-dye it with some Rit for wool. Also in hindsight, reversible would probably work as well or better with leather on one side and maybe denim or other heavier cotton fabric on the other. Leather gets a bit grabby on the inside, will use some beeswax to see if it gets slipperier. I know this isn’t 30s to 50s design per se, but I do wear hoodies more often than I should, and JL built me a forever hoodie.

View attachment 630230
View attachment 630231 View attachment 630232 View attachment 630233
View attachment 630234
It‘s gorgeous and I wouldnt change a thing about these knits. They work well with both brown and black leather and black knits will look not work very well with that light brown leather imho. Olive is the much better balance between the two sides of the jacket.

X83

One of the Regulars
Spamming this thread again with the 5oz goatskin trucker. No bitterness whatsoever now. Only sweetness. The sleeve has tunnel up nicely. Loving the grains on this thing. This is only the third or fourth day... This only shows, sometimes the first impression may not be expected, but it just kept getting better and better!

View attachment 422800
View attachment 422801
View attachment 422802
This jacket is incredible brother and the other trucker is amazing I will keep wearing my aero type in olive Vic as much as I can and I’m sure it will mold nicely I had the same feeling out the box that you did

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This jacket is incredible brother and the other trucker is amazing I will keep wearing my aero type in olive Vic as much as I can and I’m sure it will mold nicely I had the same feeling out the box that you did
Nice olive trucker you've got there. Green trucker is my end game jacket, the final boss as my niece says...

Biff42

A-List Customer

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Love it, I didn't know 5 oz goat was even a thing!
Yeah goatskins are usually 2 to 2.5oz thick. But I've seen some other 3.5-5oz ones from brands like Westride too, not often, but they're out there. While it is very wearable because its soft, there is some weight to it, about 8lbs of leather to carry around...
There is one for reasonable price on Mercari now, but these are cut for untucked shirts and I am a tucked shirt guy,
https://jp.mercari.com/en/item/m10930629298
And I think this one is only 3.75oz, they do have a 5oz version though.

Biff42

A-List Customer
Hey guys, I'm getting a custom jacket made by Johnson Leather. It's a repro of a Herm's Leathertog MJ-3B like this. The leather is a 2.5 or 3 oz horsehide from Horween. They are sending me a test jacket made of muslin fabric to be delivered tomorrow. If anyone is interested, I can detail the process when I get the finished product. I've been working with Alan and they've been good to deal with thus far.

I imagine the process has been detailed elsewhere on FL, but I don't see a lot of their custom stuff except for posts from @Canuck Panda.

X83

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, I'm getting a custom jacket made by Johnson Leather. It's a repro of a Herm's Leathertog MJ-3B like this. The leather is a 2.5 or 3 oz horsehide from Horween. They are sending me a test jacket made of muslin fabric to be delivered tomorrow. If anyone is interested, I can detail the process when I get the finished product. I've been working with Alan and they've been good to deal with thus far.

I imagine the process has been detailed elsewhere on FL, but I don't see a lot of their custom stuff except for posts from @Canuck Panda.
I have around 5 or 6 custom jackets from Jl they are excellent as for process you will receive a muslin moc up then you will send pictures of it on to them they will make adjustments is needed from that and in about 10 weeks or so you will have an absolute beautiful jacket

X83

One of the Regulars

I definitely would like update when you get your jacket to see how you feel about fit and overall experience I hold Jl as number 1 in my book

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars

Yep. Me as well. I got in the JL queue the 1st week of August. Hopefully, I will have a finished jacket before Halloween.
I am going with a 3-3.25 oz cowhide. I started out going for a modified car coat but the end design is more of a modified field jacket (with a shirt-style collar and no chest pockets).
It was a challenge to find a jacket that fit the way I want this to... Finally found a leatherish jacket at Men's Wearhouse that I could use for measuring. The sleeve length was tricky. I seem to have arms shorter than the standard size 46 jacket. Hopefully, that gets worked out in the mock-up coat.

Biff42

A-List Customer
Yep. Me as well. I got in the JL queue the 1st week of August. Hopefully, I will have a finished jacket before Halloween.
I am going with a 3-3.25 oz cowhide. I started out going for a modified car coat but the end design is more of a modified field jacket (with a shirt-style collar and no chest pockets).
It was a challenge to find a jacket that fit the way I want this to... Finally found a leatherish jacket at Men's Wearhouse that I could use for measuring. The sleeve length was tricky. I seem to have arms shorter than the standard size 46 jacket. Hopefully, that gets worked out in the mock-up coat.
I'd love to see the finished product.

X83

One of the Regulars
Welp my new Jl should be shipping this week I will post it on this thread I also placing an order for a green moss color del 66 rough out I’m getting a little funky with some of the design I can post that also but that will be around November

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads