Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN of the LOUNGE

MrNewportCustom said:
****Actually, he shall open the car door. Asking her to enter by way of the "Dukes Of Hazard" method is considered ungemtlemanly, especially if the lady is in a dress.
But what do you do if there is no door, as in the case of some modified sportscars?

(No, I wouldn't have anything like that on my machines--and I suspect the Dukes only cheated out of laziness or "Bubba-style-factor", the General Lee still had all its door-opening hardware; even then, there are remote door-poppers for that...:D )

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
I love it! I need to find me one of these gentleman.

Can I post this on my myspace page?

carter said:
Here's some information regarding Chivalry today.

Here are some of the Pearls Chivalry Commandments to help get started:

1. When passing through a door, the gentleman holds it open for the lady, even though he never saw her before. He never passes through the door first.
2. A gentleman removes his hat (yes, including baseball caps) when entering a room where there are ladies.
3. Gentlemen should open a car door for a lady and wait to close it after she gets in.
4. When sitting down to a meal, the gentleman should always leave his cell phone or other electronic device hidden away and turned off. (This one applies for ladies too)
5. A gentleman rises when a lady enters or leaves the room.
6. When walking down the street, a gentleman walks nearest the curb.
7. Gentleman will offer his hand when a lady is descending from a step, van, car, high doorway, etc.
8. A gentleman will offer to assist in lifting items, carrying bags and moving boxes.
9. Gentlemen never walk in front of a lady -- always beside them.
10. A gentleman holds out a folded arm for a lady when walking down stairs, on the street, etc. If she declines his arm, that is up to her.

:)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
But what do you do if there is no door, as in the case of some modified sportscars?

(No, I wouldn't have anything like that on my machines--and I suspect the Dukes only cheated out of laziness or "Bubba-style-factor", the General Lee still had all its door-opening hardware; even then, there are remote door-poppers for that...:D )

You see to it that she has a change of clothes. :D Actually, I hadn't considered a predicament such as this, because to make a woman climb into a car with no doors isn't a criteria I've considered ever imposing on a lady in a dress. If she's in jeans or shorts, though, she may enter the car by doing a back-flip from her apartment balcony, if she were physically capable, and I wouldn't care. In fact, to see her perform such a stunt would probably be rather entertaining, and if forewarned I'd bring popcorn. Talk about dinner and a show!

As far as the Duke doors, they were welded shut, much like those on race cars of the type of the General Lee (and on demolition derby cars today). So, door-opening hardware or not, no one will be opening those doors for a lady (or anyone else) without at least a little help from the Jaws of Life, or some such mechanical apparatus. Door-poppers would be rendered a useless expense.

Lee

"We got 'em now, Flash! Heehee!"

carter

I'll Lock Up
I love it! I need to find me one of these gentleman.
Can I post this on my myspace page?

:) PADancer, Anyone can post this anywhere they want. The more the merrier. I originally found this on the internet and wanted to share it. So share away! There's a guy like this for you somewhere. He'll probably show up when you most need and least expect him. You just gotta believe.

Carter

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
That is true, DB. But, while welding the door shut again (for her safety, of course), do be careful to not ignite the lady's dress. Such a faux pas could very well put a bit of a damper on the evening.

Are you building on a Trans Am or a Delorean? If it's the latter, don't weld the doors. Those window openings are much too small for you to climb through, much less a date in a full-length dress. :D

Lee

No, don't think I'd weld the doors, just have 'em set to auto-lock on close. (With an auto-unlock if it goes in the drink, and a manual override for KITT and KARR's computers.

As for "which": Why not all? IIRC, the same guy designed both conversions... (NOT Barris--Michael Scheffe designed KITT/KARR, and a guy named Pike with Scheffe's help did the BTTF DeLorean.)

Besides, why would I kill a DeLorean's signature feature?

Lancealot

Practically Family
This is the most recent photo I've got it's from my high school reunion.
100_1927.jpg

Of, course that's also me in my avatar.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
These two pics were already posted in another thread, somewhere:

hat1.jpg

hat2.jpg

There is something special in these two pics. Can anyone guess what is it?

xx2.jpg

xx1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
MrNewportCustom said:
Are you building on a Trans Am or a Delorean? If it's the latter, don't weld the doors. Those window openings are much too small for you to climb through, much less a date in a full-length dress. :D

FWIW, In the event of overturning, the DMC's advice to DeLorean owners was simply to place their feet against the windscreen and push. [huh]

My latest photo, with the new panama:

August13008.jpg

Those trousers are modern and will be replaced as soon as money and diet allow (I need to go down a size for aesthetic reasons, so I'm not about to buy new trousers before I do that - hopefully in a couple of months). The ivory jacket is a bit of a faux pas in this climate, but it's so damn hot in London in the Summer, I think it's reasonable. Blame it on global warming...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe