Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN of the LOUNGE

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Thanks fellas. The boots are WW2 Garrison shoes with a bit of trail dust on them :) and the pants are Mountain trousers that were issued to the 10th Mountain Div. and 1st SSF during WW2. Both were purchased from WPG.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Mike1939 said:
606032125_e197967ffb.jpg

If you see someone dressed like this huffing and puffing up a mountain trail in the Sierras...stop and say hello. :)

Nice pic, Mike...looks totally classy and yet appropriate for the situation.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't just say hello, I'd say
Yodle-ley HEEEEE HOOOO! ;)
Nikki

Mike1939 said:
606032125_e197967ffb.jpg

If you see someone dressed like this huffing and puffing up a mountain trail in the Sierras...stop and say hello. :)

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:

I like that mix of the db waistcoat and single jacket.... wouldn't have thought of doing that myself before, but it really looks sharp. Idea noted and duly stolen, sir! ;)

What the hell, I'll put up a couple of myself and disillusion any of the ladies labouring under the notion that Edward Marlowe might be vaguely attractive under the horns, eh?? Heh:

This one was taken at a friend's 40th last April.... judging from the clock on the wall behind me, I was pretty well tipsy by this point (I started drinking for Ireland at 6 - very much not my usual behaviour, but we all have off nights, eh?), so please excuse any dodgy look in the eyes!

PICT3388.jpg

The tailcoat is a genuine 30s original, beautifully made by (according to the label) a tailor in London's cheapside (name escapes me just now). Miser's pockets included - a nice detail I like in tails. The trousers are modern (but at least they have - for this side of the Atlantic - the correct double-piping, not single line as worn with black tie). I'm in the process of organising myself to repalce them with a nice pair of repros in 30s style. I think the waistcoat (not visible in the picture) might just be a little off in the length... I suspect I'll soon be replacing it with a new one and consigning that one to the Riff Raff costume...

This shot was taken at the most recent Candy Box Burlesque night in Birmingham (the real one!) - the "No rest for the wicked" Pyjama Party :

Uploaded18June2007001.jpg

The gown is actually 1960s (purchased in a vintage never-worn condition from eBay Canada for the euqivalent of about twenty bucks US), the pjs modern, but (at least to my inexperienced eye) it gives the feel of something 20 years earlier.

Another Candybox night, this time April 1st's Carnival of Fools Masquerade:

CandyBoxVI029.jpg

(Greasepaint is a nightmare to get out of an orange shirt, I can tell ya...). The trousers in that ostume were run up by a friend to a pattern I found on eBay..... I did go looking for high waisters on the 'Bay, but could'nt find anything in a suitable colour and my size in time.... Those trews are what gave me the bug to get my lardy ass into a zoot suit too - love the high waist, it's soo slimming on me! :p

I don't have really any other photos of me in anything approaching vintage (I should have some nice photos of me in my tux somewhere, actually - it's modern, but cut to a classic style IMO - but I don't seem to have any on my pc...). Just beginning to put together my wardrobe really, so.

Edward

Bartender
bncarter said:
My dad had a navy blue boatneck sweater from the 30's and I've been trying to locate one for some time. I may need to have one knitted if I can locate a pattern.

You'll havev to excuse my ignorance of the terminology here....

Ah, I just Googled.... it's not what I thought, I think I previously knew that as a slash neck(?)....

For a vintage jumper style for the winter I have my eye on one of these:

https://www.soulutions.de/acl/php/produkte.php5?unterkategorie=59

Definitely not the neckline you had in mind, though.

Expensive (I bought Dad one for a birthday about five years ago and I could swear I paid about GBP30 less), but from first hand experience they are beautifully made and totally vintage correct. dad wears his out on the bike (what it was bought with in mind, really) with a modern leather, but I should think it'd go great with an A2 or indeed an Irving (mind you, it'd have to be damn cold to need both an Irving and one of these!!). Quite fancy one myself if ever I could justfiy the cost..... anyhow....

Edward

Bartender
Technonut said:
Nothing like a man in uniform.... ;) lol

FedoraPicMe099.jpg

Ah, now that is the fit I'd be after in an A2..... period correct is definitely better than thed baggier look of the modern equivalents.... If only someone would make a good one at a not so scary price (Eastmans, Airex and the likes are go for in and around GBP300 over here - that's around USD600 at present. Tell me they're cheaper in the US! Or is everyone else in the lounge just loaded???).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Joker meets Raffles meets Noel Coward!!

The Joker outfit looks great and I love the way you accessorize Edward with your little helpers, the Jester Sisters!:eusa_clap

White tie and tails is very "Raffles" the Gentleman thief look!! Been pinching the Bushmills again...?

And finally the Devillish, Rakish/Caddish look in the PJs is very Cowardesque and fun. But where on earth does the pointy tail go...?[huh]

Fun photos Edward and you carry all the characters off with dash and panache - Just the way we like it here on the Lounge!:eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
The Joker outfit looks great and I love the way you accessorize Edward with your little helpers, the Jester Sisters!:eusa_clap

Thanks. Heh, yeah, it was great they were there.... the lovely Leanne (on your left as you look at the photo) hails from Edinburgh, on the right of the phot is Imelda May, a Dublin-born girl with one hell of a voice. She does all the lead vocals at the Candy Box (the only UK burlesque night outside London with all-live music), and is really making waves as a solo artist as well. Well worth checking out... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=162004384 BY coincidence, they ended up in the same Harley Quinn affair on the night - best of all is how one costume is the mirror image of the other, which really makes it look fab when they flanked me!

White tie and tails is very "Raffles" the Gentleman thief look!! Been pinching the Bushmills again...?

I think it was mere Famous Grouse and Bells that night..... then the vodka, then some more vodka, Pernod, according to rumour some absinthe..... needless to say I don't really remember that night. The thing I'm most ashamed of is that I was so drunk I drank wine out of a tetrapack.... and I liked it! :cry: :eek: The shame! :eek:

And finally the Devillish, Rakish/Caddish look in the PJs is very Cowardesque and fun. But where on earth does the pointy tail go...?[huh]

Heh.... I didn't quite stretch to a tail on the night, but yeah, it might have been a hard one to fit in there somewhere without cutting a little hole!! :D Maybe I could sli pit down the other trouser leg to accomodate it. :p

Fun photos Edward and you carry all the characters off with dash and panache - Just the way we like it here on the Lounge!:eusa_clap

Why, thank-you! If I can get away with these, it does make me more inclined to sort out the budget and get on with building up the retro side of my wardrobe!!

Technonut

Practically Family
FedoraPicMe099.jpg

Edward said:
Ah, now that is the fit I'd be after in an A2..... period correct is definitely better than thed baggier look of the modern equivalents.... If only someone would make a good one at a not so scary price (Eastmans, Airex and the likes are go for in and around GBP300 over here - that's around USD600 at present. Tell me they're cheaper in the US! Or is everyone else in the lounge just loaded???).

Hey... That guy looks kind of familiar... ;)

That is my Gibson and Barnes historical horsehide A-2 in mahogany... :) I LOVE the jacket. I picked mine up for $438.00 (USD).. I think the price has jumped to over $500.00 currently, although if you speak to Rene'e Hunter ... she just may honor the old web pricing..

EDIT: A link to the jacket...

http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_a2_hist_horse.html

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just posted this in the cravat/ascot thread. So why not here.

Taken today - a few minutes ago.
Just another day at the office. not very vintage, except for the person, the glasses and the cravat.
L1010307-1.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Thanks. Heh, yeah, it was great they were there.... the lovely Leanne (on your left as you look at the photo) hails from Edinburgh, on the right of the phot is Imelda May, a Dublin-born girl with one hell of a voice. She does all the lead vocals at the Candy Box (the only UK burlesque night outside London with all-live music), and is really making waves as a solo artist as well. Well worth checking out...

I wondered what Imelda May was up to, I saw her a few times with Mike Sanchez and I'd heard she wasn't singing with him any more. I shall have to catch her solo stuff!

Edward said:
Why, thank-you! If I can get away with these, it does make me more inclined to sort out the budget and get on with building up the retro side of my wardrobe!!

Definitely do that, it suits you very well, I can't actually picture you dressed "normally", you just look right in vintage style!

All you other chaps, looking very good as well, how I wish more men caught on!

Edward

Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
I wondered what Imelda May was up to, I saw her a few times with Mike Sanchez and I'd heard she wasn't singing with him any more. I shall have to catch her solo stuff!

She's great, yeah... her mySpace has all the details of her latest gigs (well, duh..). I think she quit working with mike's band sometime early in 07 or late 06; I saw her front her own band in March past at the Pigalle (she's perfromed there a couple of times, I think) - great night. I keep wanting to get to more shows, but having a job... pain, eh? Heh. I discovered Imelda's stuff via a friend - Al Gare, who you'd have seen I'm sure playing bass for Mike Sanchez, now with Imelda's backing band, among other projects. (Al and his wife Saffron are the creative minds behind the CandyBox Burlesque nights in Brum - well worth making the trip North for isd you like a bit of Burly Q!). Imelda has it all, IMO - talent, beauty, and she's so damn down to earth and all, I don't think I can imagine a less conceited person.

Definitely do that, it suits you very well, I can't actually picture you dressed "normally", you just look right in vintage style!

Why, thank you! :eek:

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Forgive me for being forward, but I still think you are the handsomest man at the Lounge. :eek:

Spitfire said:
Just posted this in the cravat/ascot thread. So why not here.

Taken today - a few minutes ago.
Just another day at the office. not very vintage, except for the person, the glasses and the cravat.
L1010307-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe