Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love at first sight? What Balloney!!...or, does it really happen?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dapper Dan said:
In re the idea of acting the "strong and silent" type on a date, what's the point? If you start by building up walls, what's the rest of your relationship with the woman (or man) going to be like? I'll play the part of the Fred McMurray-style dad here and tell you that if she doesn't like you for you than she's not worth your time. I feel like I should be wearing a cardigan and smoking a pipe as I say this.
I wish things were ever so simple that Steve Douglas could straighten 'em out. :rolleyes: Nowadays a woman can write her own ticket but often she still is socialized to feel conflict about that...to want to bag a doer-provider type who is somewhere on the axis between Domineering and Dull.

The recent post-feminist boogie-woogie around essential differences between the sexes (pushed by a scare campaign that the culture is sliding towards total androgyny) only serves to make women afraid to stray from the "right" roles, and men, too.

Feraud

Bartender
Dapper Dan said:
I'll play the part of the Fred McMurray-style dad here and tell you that if she doesn't like you for you than she's not worth your time. I feel like I should be wearing a cardigan and smoking a pipe as I say this.
I prefer the Fred MacMurray/Double Indemnity advice. "It's me and you baby. We're in this together to the end of the line." ;)

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I'm crazy about ya, baby.

And he pronounces "baby" more like "beby." What a fantastic movie.

But seriously, Fletch. Why waste time with women like that? It's childish to change yourself to get in the good graces of a woman too dumb to know what she wants in a man. I mean, isn't someone looking for a dull man equally dull? You don't want to wind up in a long-term relationship with some frightened rabbit, do you? Especially not after the lovely Daisy has put us all hep to what those things do after childbirth.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Coming into this thread late...

but yes, it can happen. In fact, it's happened to me twice.

The first time was when I first saw my wife. We were both working in retail at the time and I will never forget the vision I had of the most amazingly vibrant woman I had ever seen in my life walking through my department. Today, nearly 19 years later, I can still see her as if it were yesterday...her stride, her smile, her clothing. I didn't know who she was, but I was determined to find out. We met, were engaged three months later and married a year and a day from our first date. We've been together and happy for nearly 18 years.

The second time was when I first looked upon my newborn daughter. That was love at first sight...total, complete and unconditional. Four years later on that score and daddy is still in awe of this precious gift. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dapper Dan said:
But seriously, Fletch. Why waste time with women like that? [...] You don't want to wind up in a long-term relationship with some frightened rabbit, do you? Especially not after the lovely Daisy has put us all hep to what those things do after childbirth.
:eek: Good point, Dan. Basically I'm looking for somebody about half as crazy as I am. Even 3/4 would do.

GOK

One Too Many
Dapper Dan said:
I'm crazy about ya, baby.

And he pronounces "baby" more like "beby." What a fantastic movie.

But seriously, Fletch. Why waste time with women like that? It's childish to change yourself to get in the good graces of a woman too dumb to know what she wants in a man. I mean, isn't someone looking for a dull man equally dull? You don't want to wind up in a long-term relationship with some frightened rabbit, do you? Especially not after the lovely Daisy has put us all hep to what those things do after childbirth.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The first time I met my boyfriend (he doesn't even remember it! But he is VERY forgetful...), I looked at him and thought 'Oooooooo! He's nice!' and my stomach gave a little jump.

However, I was with someone else at the time, so I pushed that thought aside. The next time I knew he would be somewhere I was going after I'd split up with my other boyfriend, I felt a bit nervous. Turned out he'd split with his girlfriend and after a rather romantic courtship we got together. I think I can say he is 'The One For Me' and we are very happy together.

So was it love at first sight? I'd be inclined to say yes. :)

Girl Friday

Practically Family
So I guess if you believe in Love at First Sight, you also believe in the whole Soul Mate thing?

I'm not trying to be cynical or anything just a question.

I love my boyfriend and I waited a long time for him, and if I didn't have him I'd be perfectly happy alone. :D

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
GoldLeaf,

Read a few pages back. A similar thing happened to me. Unfortunately we didn’t end up together. I am happily married to a wonderful beautiful woman (Stefanie) and we have two beautiful little girls, but even to this day I somehow feel as though Rhonda and I should have been together. We have since spoken to each other and there is still something there that we both agree on. It’s not a sexual attraction either, so I don’t believe it to be lust, it seems to be something more. Unless it happens to them, most would never understand.

I meet Rhonda when I was 25. I got married when I was 36, so I had a lot of time to date a lot of women looking for that feeling again, and it never happened. I meet Stefanie in a similar manor, but it still wasn’t that instant connection. The whole soul mate thing came up in this thread and I guess I never really thought about something like that, but it could be the case. I wouldn’t know how else to explain it.

One or two in here have mentioned falling in love at first site on a daily basis. I tend to think that that is more lust. I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t say I see a woman nearly everyday that I am attracted too and wouldn't mind spending some quality time with, if I wasn’t married of course. :D

Elaina

One Too Many
Ah, Soul Mates are different then love at first sight.

And I agree with you, GF, I love my husband and I believe we were meant to be together, but I'm also self-sufficient enough that if he dies, we get a divorce or otherwise end up apart, I'm ok with being on my own. And getting a boy toy 10 years younger :D

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Boy Toys

You never quite know how a thread will run its course or whether there will be much interest in it. It's amazed me for one, what a great bunch of romantics we have on board here!! And I have loved every minute of reading your contributions and 'real life' 'personal' anecdotes of how LOVE has SMACKED you in the face when you were least expecting it. Just warms my heart to read some of your entries!

ON a side note, I smiled when I read your piece Elaina about the "BOY TOY..." and so...

Elaina said:
I'm ok with being on my own. And getting a boy toy 10 years younger :D

Elaina, just having a 'wee giggle' over how you phrased that (We all know what you mean), but...have you seen this new line of BOY TOYS that you can buy in the shops. (this was a mock-up of the Action Man toys I used to have as a child, that a friend on the Lounge did as a joke for me!).

The ultimate BOY TOY, doesn't complain and when you get fed up with him, well you just put him back into his little box.

Action_Paddy.jpg

Elaina

One Too Many
lol same idea really. Send them home so I don't have to cook, clean or otherwise cater to them in anyway.

I've made a joke about it so long, I've not only seen a version of the perfect man, but I've had one given to me. Alas, not perfect, I STILL hate doing manly chores, so going that much younger it's not all about cooking and cleaning, you can pet them on the head, tell them they're wonderful and send them home to momma to do their laundry. AND get the plumbing or car fixed. Bliss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg