Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love at first sight? What Balloney!!...or, does it really happen?

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Love at first sight does happen . . . . but it's an awfully dangerous habit to form. There is no lack of love and beauty in the world. Only worthy recipients.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
I think romantic notions like LAFS have more or less died down due to the growing awareness that finding meaningful companionship in the modern world is grim, depressing, and dehumanizing for a lot of people.

Well said! :eusa_clap

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
Sounds like me. I'm not looking either. What's a real turn-off is that there's a co-worker that obsessed with me. While flattering, it's become almost unbearable. My problem is that I'm too nice a guy and I guess she took that the wrong way. Because of this I don't want to be in love...

My good Mr Brown, i do sympathize highly with your predicament. Before my marriage and the consequent highly visible gold ring, I was prey to unhealthy obsessive flirtations by persons of both sexes. However, in my personal history, in contrast to yours, these were unflattering, not flattering (you are lucky in that regard). For invariably these persons were unattractive; the females simply not my style, and the males very much more not my style (as my taste runs to women). I found that, alas, it was necessary to cultivate rudeness but only in small, measured doses, like the tiny dose of polonium that recently killed the former Russian secret agent in England, a surgical dose. Not outright hostility, merely a precise and lethal measure of lack of interest. In some of the harder cases, I had to couple this with vague references to extremely unpopular political views in order to get them to go away. Who was it who said that the mark of a cultured, polite Englishman is that he is only impolite when he intends to be? Or something of that nature. Can anyone help me with that quote? I feel I heard it recently.

Bernard Newman

New in Town
First of all I want to apologize that I striped politics and that my language was, hm, let's say it was dramatic. It was 2 AM and I discussed this topic for more than two hours with one of my friends so I was tired and quite upset.

Second I found it wonderful to read such great stories of your life. In my situation I like especially your's OldSkoolFrat;) BTW thanks for your kind words. I don't know if have the guts for all of your tipps but thanks:eusa_clap

Best regards,
Bernard Newman

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I personally don't believe in love at first sight, but like Fletch I do believe in obsession at first sight (sadly, I know this from experience!)

Love at first sight is a beautiful concept however, and I wish it did exist! :(

Dr Doran

Elaina said:
Now, now, Doran, you're not an ugly man, but then you may be one of these people that knows nothing but nice, polite ones that would never take a step out of line.

To some people, I suppose the fact that someone is married makes the person all the more attractive ... in the new James Bond film, James tells Vesper she is not his type.
"You mean, intelligent?" she asks
"No, single," he replies.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
~

Curt Chiarelli said:
Love at first sight does happen . . . . but it's an awfully dangerous habit to form. There is no lack of love and beauty in the world. Only worthy recipients.

Quite true....

I don't really know if I believe in love at first sight. I have experienced lust at first sight numerous times. The love has come later but I apparently have terrible timing. My recent experience falls in being both the lover OR the lovee at least for the last 10 years or so.

The mutually in love experience I had when I was young devolved, unfortunately. :( Ancient history

Benny Holiday

My own experience is that loves sneaks up on you. Only twice have I ever felt that amazing adoration for someone that inspired the great poets to write their romantic verses, and writers like Shakesepeare to write his classic Romances. In both instances, when I first met the girls in question I was not interested in them romantically in the slightest. I became friends with them and somehow, beholding their whole selves - their thoughts, ideas, hopes, dreams, aspirations, beliefs, the way they spoke, the way they walked, everything - I came to realise that I adored that particular girl with a love that was incredibly pure.

Without going too far here, to explain the nature of this love, I have to say it was astoundingly spiritual. That is to say, I didn't consider the idea of a physical union with the girl. That's not to say I didn't find the one I loved physically attractive, far from it - but my heart was in indescribable ecstasy just being in their presence, listening to them, laughing with them, talking with them. That's all I wanted, just to be with them, to share every word and thought and gesture and smile with them. I don't know many people who've experienced that kind of love, but I wish everyone could feel it at some time in their lives, it really is like lightning out of the sky.

Rosie, I wish you every happiness in your pursuit of love.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Barbigirl said:
Quite true....

I don't really know if I believe in love at first sight. I have experienced lust at first sight numerous times. The love has come later but I apparently have terrible timing. My recent experience falls in being both the lover OR the lovee at least for the last 10 years or so.

The mutually in love experience I had when I was young devolved, unfortunately. :( Ancient history

It would appear from the sound of it that we're in the same leaky dinghy, allegorically speaking. I've known women who were obsessed with me for years for whom I could not reciprocate those feelings (most of whom were married) and, in turn, my youth knew the stinging pangs of unrequited love. Funny, but for me lust was of a slightly secondary importance - the emotional fulfillment and overpowering sense of intellectual connection was the fuel that stoked my engine. Somehow I suspect that my ill timing could beat your's by a long stretch!

koopkooper

Practically Family
Well I experienced it this morning, I got up out of bed and walked into the bathroom for the usual SSS and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and wow !!! Cazam, caboosh it happened! Took me two hours to leave the bathroom lol

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
LadyDeWinter said:
Well, as I am very romantic I believe that there is love at first sight, but it has never happend to me yet. But I hope it will some day.
Love at second or first sight that's what happened to me. Love is the most beautiful thing in the world.

Sabine, the funny thing is, that love at first sight only happens, when you stop looking for it to happen. All the best.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Well Spitfire, this might be the reason. You described in your post that you met your later wife in a meeting very unexpectedly and fell in love immediately. This is a very romantic story.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Bernard, I was also in love with men but they were unfortunately not in love with me. This is very dissapointing. But sometimes you must let someone go. You are a very handsome young man and there are many other pretty and interesting girls.

GOK

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Me too. Most of all when I'm getting the message, "I'm interesting, but interesting guys are losers. I need a Man."

Yes but what is a *real* man? To me, he is intelligent, witty, creative, sensitive, gentle, compassionate. Give me a man with a good mind over one with a perfect body and chiselled good looks any day. :D

Doran said:
To some people, I suppose the fact that someone is married makes the person all the more attractive ... in the new James Bond film, James tells Vesper she is not his type.
"You mean, intelligent?" she asks
"No, single," he replies.

Some people deliberately only find themselves attracted to those already attached because it means there is less likelihood they will have to commit to anything or risk emotional involvement. Although it is not for me to judge those people, I find the concept cold and selfish. I also feel that there are some people out there that see a wedding band as a challenge; "I bet I can have him/her". Equally nasty IMO.

On the other hand, sometimes in spite of everything, good people do still fall in love with other people's spouses, without any malicious or selfish intent at all.

redavis001 said:
If you ever feel too good about life read The Stranger that will put you back in your place. I do this whenever my head fills with romanticist nonsense.

For you it may be nonsense but for some of us it is a driving force in our lives. [huh]

koopkooper said:
Well I experienced it this morning, I got up out of bed and walked into the bathroom for the usual SSS and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and wow !!! Cazam, caboosh it happened! Took me two hours to leave the bathroom lol

:eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88