Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my First Fedora

TimmyBoston

New in Town
Hello all, my name is Tim. This is a terrific forum you have here, I know I will learn a lot.

As the title says I am looking for my first fedora. I'm 26 but have always been fascinated with the dress and style of time gone by.

I will admit that despite my lurking, I still am very ignorant on the hat subject and why I've reached out for advice. I'm looking for a fedora available in grey or brown with a 2 - 2 1/4 brim and a moderate to low crown possibly with a teardrop style crown.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of good models and where to attain them. Also any pictures would be appreciated if available. Thanks so much. I look forward to learning so I can be a contributing member.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Hoping to answer your question without sounding like the "use the search button guy", but....

check the banner ads at the top of the pages and click on the hat related ones and give a look at the "sponsor" vendors.

also check out the classified section listed at the bottom of the main page, lots of lids offered there.

I got my first "real" fedora from ebay. the price was right and it all worked out great.

If you know what size hat you wear, you're even more armed.

I've been looking at the village hat shop online to get ideas about the style of hat I'm getting next.

Currently mr. v has 9 fedoras of varying shapes, dents, pinches and brim widths...

Welcome to the wonderful world of the fedora lounge, and all the sartorial splendor it offers....

dv

Rider

Familiar Face
TimmyBoston, welcome to the forum from another Hoosier newbie from Fort Wayne.

Indianapolis has a large fedora store with lots of offerings of mass produced hats--Stetsons, Dobbs, and the like. You could slip in and try some on to get a good idea of what it is that you're looking for. They are at 3821 North Illinois. It appears to me that much of their business is web based. A link to their site is:

http://www.dadshats.com/info.html

That said, if you hang around here long, you'll become interested in buying something a little special, something that you can't find in Indianapolis.

tm3

Familiar Face
hi TB, welcome to thefedoralounge.

similar crowd to B&B but obviously a different focus. i think you will enjoy yourself! :)

sphughes

Familiar Face
Tim,

Great to see a brother from B & B out and about. This place is an amazing forum. So much interesting info and such great people. Sounds like another place we spend some time......

-Scott

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
TimmyBoston said:
I'm looking for a fedora available in grey or brown with a 2 - 2 1/4 brim and a moderate to low crown possibly with a teardrop style crown.

I'd say that describes many typical modern Stetsons, and Dobbs both modern and vintage. You could probably find a nice Dobbs on ebay, and the vendors here on the lounge carry both brands in most cases. The Stetson "Downs" is a nice style along the lines you describe, but there are so many possibilities.

If you're trying to keep your cost down, but want a bit of customizing, try the Fedora Store. Their Design-a-Hat section is cool.

TimmyBoston

New in Town
Thanks for the warm welcome all. I did pick up an inexpensive Fedora on Ebay to see how I like wearing one. It's pictured in my avatar.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
TimmyBoston said:
Thanks for the warm welcome all. I did pick up an inexpensive Fedora on Ebay to see how I like wearing one. It's pictured in my avatar.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

And a great avatar, it is!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wesne

One of the Regulars
If your hat size is 7 1/4 or smaller, I'd recommend that you peruse the vintage hats on eBay, as those sizes are relatively plentiful and affordable. You can get a very, very nice quality hat, arguably better than anything you can get today at any price, for not much money, as long as you're not averse to the idea of wearing a hat that used to belong to someone else. If you're a larger size, be prepared for heartache - these sizes are rare in vintage hats and can command quite a premium - but if you're patient, when you do score it's all the sweeter. Even if you don't want a vintage hat, I'd still recommend looking at the eBay listings (as well as the archives this forum) as you can see a nice assortment of styles and get a clearer picture of what you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123