Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
Nice I reposted this on my instagram story cause I loved it so much! Would love to see an unboxing of that! Only thing I’d do differently is the knitt I would do black or dark brown. But it looks sick! I’ve always loved hooded leather jackets. Used to have a few but I sold them because they were cheaper mall jacket brands.. that looks super intriguing. Fine creek leather made a nice looking hooded leather recently but good luck finding that for sale In the US. Nice jacket! Please post when you get it

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys, JL did me another solid.

The leather is 2oz horsehide, aniline and oil finish from Horween. The brown looks like it's got a bit of pull up for sure. I had this Roots Canada leather hoodie for the longest time that I use on the road a lot, and was looking to upgrade it to a heartier leather and these Horween horsehides popped up and JL worked their magic.

I did also look at the Fine Creek one but I believe that one has the 80/90s drop shoulder with shorter sleeve homie look, and I was just wanting a regular fitting bomber with an extra hood. Their deerskin MA-1 bomber looks very tempting though, but no sizing in the olive one and they increase their pricing structure way too fast...

MattCrush

New in Town
sorry for the double post with sub par pics, but pretty great way to end the week -

first and new JL (their Del-66 pattern block with a couple custom details)

Wondering if I could have tapered the hem line further...but didn't want a seems popping/sausage casing fit - anyway really excited to break this in...Heavy 4oz Essex Steerhide
sorry for the double post with sub par pics, but pretty great way to end the week -

first and new JL (their Del-66 pattern block with a couple custom details)

Wondering if I could have tapered the hem line further...but didn't want a seems popping/sausage casing fit - anyway really excited to break this in...Heavy 4oz Essex Steerhide
this jacket ref Pm

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Was it more expensive that way?
I sourced the leather so the total cost was about the same as a normal custom (one sided) JL jacket that they supply all the material. The reversible hood and sandwiched lining was still custom. If you're gonna do the reversible (two sided) jacket, I would suggest to leave it up to JL to deal with all the sourcing. I take quite a bit of gamble sourcing my own leather as I enjoy the process, sometimes it works as planned, there are times when it might not. For example I am not sure if the aniline oiled leather I sourced will color transfer or not, that is always an issue with aniline leather. I guess the safer way is to do finished black leather on one side and naked natural leather on the reverse. But I was really shooting for a two in one on the road jacket and the darker brown would work better for me, at the risk of maybe some color transfer, but I got some bees wax and Resolene ready if the worst happens… Long story short, just let JL handle it all if this is something you’re after, they know their stuff.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That’s even better! Can’t beat 2-in-1 haha!!!

Is it soft feel? 2oz ain’t much, but 2oz x2 is still something.
Yeah I was hoping for as light as possible but 2 plus 2 is still 4. With the hood I’m guessing it would be 6-7 lbs ish and that I can live with. Fingers crossed!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
This thread deserves a bump.

Here is me in my Johnson Leather Barneveld Remix in Horween 4.5 oz Petrol Steerhide. I received this from Canuck Panda because it was a bit snug on him I believe. I‘m very happy with how it fits me. Very lucky find. And Canuck is a real gentleman to deal with, chrck his offers in the Classifieds, I believe he currently still has a few offers there.

Pictures from today, had it on for roughly 4 hours prior to taking these pictures. No neck issues, comfortable all around even after hours. Non of that „all heavy leather jackets are uncomfortable“ nonsense.

EBAB63D8-66FA-4832-A983-818496AAE60A.jpeg
3CF56D81-0616-4CFE-A2C1-5DBABD1DD7C6.jpeg
804336D2-8CFA-4CA2-8C1C-CD7BF2A09402.jpeg
1B556FAF-A703-40EE-9E7E-65D41141D3C9.jpeg

X83

One of the Regulars
Yeah I was hoping for as light as possible but 2 plus 2 is still 4. With the hood I’m guessing it would be 6-7 lbs ish and that I can live with. Fingers crossed!
I was looking to see what else you have for sale can you please send link at your earliest convenience

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This thread deserves a bump.

Here is me in my Johnson Leather Barneveld Remix in Horween 4.5 oz Petrol Steerhide. I received this from Canuck Panda because it was a bit snug on him I believe. I‘m very happy with how it fits me. Very lucky find. And Canuck is a real gentleman to deal with, chrck his offers in the Classifieds, I believe he currently still has a few offers there.

Pictures from today, had it on for roughly 4 hours prior to taking these pictures. No neck issues, comfortable all around even after hours. Non of that „all heavy leather jackets are uncomfortable“ nonsense.

View attachment 629432 View attachment 629433 View attachment 629434 View attachment 629435
Looks great. The pattern is awesome.

I was looking to see what else you have for sale can you please send link at your earliest convenience
I'll PM you

Has this one arrived yet? Looks fantastic, super functional design and very cool breeze with the hood. I had already admired your Roots jacket, you getting a JL custom version is just perfection!
Just arrived over the weekend. I haven't had much time other than unboxing and took some first photos of it. It's heavier (in weight) than a single layered one for sure, but around the weight a normal CXL jacket so still doable. JL knocked it outta the park. I will be wearing this lots over this fall/winter for sure.

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG

I agree with the previous post about knit color better off in black. I had to try the olive. This would be an easy update down the road. Will throw on some fit pics this week. I sourced these naked horsehides from Horween myself, the black seems good but the brown side might need an extra coating to blend the natural marks and maybe seal the dye in. It doesn't look in the photos but this jacket probably weighs north of 7 lbs, could be 8 I need to get it on the scale.

X83

One of the Regulars

I'll PM you

Just arrived over the weekend. I haven't had much time other than unboxing and took some first photos of it. It's heavier (in weight) than a single layered one for sure, but around the weight a normal CXL jacket so still doable. JL knocked it outta the park. I will be wearing this lots over this fall/winter for sure.

View attachment 629910
View attachment 629911 View attachment 629912

I agree with the previous post about knit color better off in black. I had to try the olive. This would be an easy update down the road. Will throw on some fit pics this week. I sourced these naked horsehides from Horween myself, the black seems good but the brown side might need an extra coating to blend the natural marks and maybe seal the dye in. It doesn't look in the photos but this jacket probably weighs north of 7 lbs, could be 8 I need to get it on the scale.

I'll PM you

View attachment 629910

Ok thank you

tuanhng614

Familiar Face

I'll PM you

View attachment 629910

What do you use for the top coat to seal the dye? Curious to exact product that you use so that I can copy that haha.

Which side are you going to use more? Both colors look fantastic so it would be a coinflip if it’s me haha.

Other thing is the patina, wear marks on the inside will be totally different than the outside, so when you flip, it will be interesting. I love it see that after you put some mileage on it this coming fall/winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Revandmo