Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese vs Scotland quality

AdeeC

Practically Family
You guys should try getting into quality Rums, I just opened a bottle of ElDorado 15 and it is glorious! My new favorite!
My old favourite was the Appleton Estate 12 years old, also very nice, but not as complex and smooth as the ElDorado...

Not sure if the Japanese make rum though, so it might not be on topic...
I am with you here, those are fine rums. I mostly only drink rum now and my favourites are the Santiago De Cuba Anejo and Anejo 12 years old. I keep trying other rums and there are many good ones but these are my go to rums for everyday and most special occasions. Outstanding quality Cuban rum at far lower prices relative to all other Caribbean rums. The Cuban economic situation makes them an absolute bargain.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I never much cared for alcohol but I loved getting drunk. Jameson was my special friend for many years. The Japanese stuff was always as good as any of the better whiskeys IMO. These days I only drink black tea.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Scotland vs. Japan. The score is tied late in the 4th quarter, and the game is tied and too close to call. Will we go into overtime? Who will be the winner? :rolleyes:

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Japan put up a very good show during the recent rugby world cup by defeating US and South Africa, but Scotland won them during their match.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
ipCdmrJ.jpg
VS
vUuMLSn.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ooh good, a conversation about both whisky and jackets!

I'm another big single malt fan, inherited that from my father. Like you Richard I love Islays, Ardbeg being my go to. I'm lucky here living in Norway because Islays have always been for me cold weather whisky, I hardly ever drank the stuff in summer in Oz or NZ, if the weather was warm I liked Speysides. But here in the Frozen North, I can just about drink Islays all year round, or I would if I could afford to all the time!

I haven't had many Japanese whiskies but I've tried a handful and they were very good. One, Suntory stands out.

Speaking of Japanese, I've got into sake over the last few years and have developed a real appreciation for good sake. Really good sake is sublime and there's an incredible difference in flavours in quality sake. Junmaishu Urakasumi anyone ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Japanese whisky is fantastic. I went to a whisky tasting exhibition, tried Suntory. Tried quite a lot of it. Like it. Incidentally, the conference' lasted just three hour but by the third one people were being carried out - not me, I hasten to add, I could walk. Just.

ZZ63B19DAA.jpg

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
It has become increasingly difficult to buy Japanese whiskey ever since they won some world whiskey award.

Any loungers tried Taiwanese whiskey? Kavalan won an award recently. I quite enjoy their sherry cask version. Reminds me of Spanish pedro ximenez.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My understanding is that following Yamazaki, Yoichi and Hibiki have stopped selling vintage single malt after May-July last year. They have ran out of stock because of the low value of yen. We bought a few bottles last January in Tokyo and by May I was unable to find any. 17 y.o. Taketsuru are still available as of November last year. So most of the popular brands are now only selling undated single malt.
Since I do not drink, I will not offer any opinion on the quality and taste. However I believe the Japanese whisky has lots of potential in terms of value. Just take a look at the price of the most sought after Karuizawa and how they appreciate over the years.

Back to the topic of jackets. The impression I get here is that the first custom made leather jacket is a pain and if you can get thru the process, it becomes easier and easier. My view is that there is a learning curve for the jacket maker and you just as with bespoke tailoring. The first suit from a particular tailor is not likely to meet your expectation but with bespoke suits, they can pretty much take it apart and remake. Custom leather jackets involve fewer fitting processes and a remake is likely to mean making a new jacket with new materials. So the learning curve is even longer involving likely several jackets from the same maker.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I wish Big J was around for this thread! He'd have something good to contribute to this, I'm sure.
I'm going to be looking at the whiskey section a whole lot more closely after this …!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe