Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese vs Scotland quality

Edward

Bartender
Shamefully, I've yet to try any of the Japanese whiskeys. I her they can be superb. For myself, I tend to prefer the Irish - Powers, Bushmills, Jamesons... Little bit smoother than the Scotch Single Malts. Makes more of a difference if I'm drinking straight rather than with a mixer. (Jamesons works lovely with a ginger mixer, or in a cocktail). Of the American bourbons, I used to like Jack Daniels, but as the label has become trendier, it's gotten silly expensive and I don't think it's worth it over the competition. Jim Beam is a superior drop, imo. I've been known to order Knob Creek, because I've never gotten past the funny name. It's not bad stuff, though.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
You guys should try getting into quality Rums, I just opened a bottle of ElDorado 15 and it is glorious! My new favorite!
My old favourite was the Appleton Estate 12 years old, also very nice, but not as complex and smooth as the ElDorado...

Not sure if the Japanese make rum though, so it might not be on topic...

Stand By

One Too Many
A real woman is a man's best friend.
She will never stand him up or ever let him down.
She will reassure him when he feels insecure and comfort him after a bad day.
She will inspire him to do things he thought he could never do; to live without fear and forget regret.
She will enable him to express his deepest emotions and give in to his most intimate desires.
She will make sure he always feels as though he's the most handsome man in the room and enable him to be the most confident, sexy, seductive and invincible … No wait … I'm sorry. I'm thinking of Whiskey. It's Whiskey that does all that $hit. Never mind.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Shamefully, I've yet to try any of the Japanese whiskeys. I her they can be superb. For myself, I tend to prefer the Irish - Powers, Bushmills, Jamesons... Little bit smoother than the Scotch Single Malts. Makes more of a difference if I'm drinking straight rather than with a mixer. (Jamesons works lovely with a ginger mixer, or in a cocktail). Of the American bourbons, I used to like Jack Daniels, but as the label has become trendier, it's gotten silly expensive and I don't think it's worth it over the competition. Jim Beam is a superior drop, imo. I've been known to order Knob Creek, because I've never gotten past the funny name. It's not bad stuff, though.
To me Jamesons is a bit smoother than Bushmills. Both are a nice value where I live. I grew up in E Tennessee just a few miles from the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg. Gentleman Jack is made by Jack Daniels and is IMO a nice, smooth higher end product. Still, give me an Islay, Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 - Lagavulin 16 costs twice as much as the other two two poisons I prefer.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
To me Jamesons is a bit smoother than Bushmills. Both are a nice value where I live. I grew up in E Tennessee just a few miles from the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg. Gentleman Jims is made by Jack Daniels and is IMO a nice, smooth higher end product. Still, give me an Islay, Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 - Lagavulin 16 costs twice as much as the other two two poisons I prefer.

The Gentleman Jack's stuff is on sale here too - looks nice, but it's crazy money. A good GBP10-12 more than even the regular JD! Jameson's is definitely slightly softer. Maybe it's in the water - it gets a little harder in the North..

Justhandguns

Practically Family
The Gentleman Jack's stuff is on sale here too - looks nice, but it's crazy money. A good GBP10-12 more than even the regular JD! Jameson's is definitely slightly softer. Maybe it's in the water - it gets a little harder in the North..

Yes, Gentleman Jack is good stuff when compared with the regular JD. I did enjoy a few shots of the 'hard stuffs' during the Burns Night a few days ago....

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I prefer not waking up in foreign prisons. Thus, I must pass on the foregoing inebriants.

+1

Drinking is overrated. Anything more than a glass and you have the equivalent of buyers/sellers remorse. If the Prohibition was reenacted I'd be livid over the loss of my liberty, but I could live without alcohol.Unnecessary stress. "Oh no, cop!" Not worth it if you're an impulsive creature. If they take away my coffee though (surprised that hasn't been regulated), I'll be out in the streets with a pitchfork and have a guillotine on standby. The French Press Revolution!!

Edward

Bartender
Heh. I've only ever really been intersted in having a drink because I enjoy it, rather than what it does to the body... TBH, on the rare occasion I've been runk, I've never enjoyed it, which has probably kept me out of a lot of trouble over the years. ;)

One of the most popular current TV shows in Casa Marlowe is Tattoo Fixers, where three of the best UK tattoo artists do cover-up work for folks who come in with some terrible stuff. I enjoy the artistry very much, the skill in doing not only a great tattoo, but in having to work around covering what is there already. You'd be amazed, though, just how many of these stories start with "I was on holiday abroad and we were realyl drunk, and I thought it would be a great iea to get a tattoo for five Euros....." or "We got runk round my mate's house, and he had this tattoo gun he bought on eBay..." The mind boggles.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Clarification: I do not condemn intoxicants. If I could, I would, but I can't so I don't. My addictive propensities -- as evidenced by my outerwear obsession -- are exponentially worse in the arena of inebriants. Faced with an all or nothing election, and having experienced the catastrophic consequences of the former, I choose the latter (which, ironically, enables me to generate the funds necessary to pursue my other addictions).

Last edited:
Bought this at the distillery in Scotland 2002. Unopened and in the cupboard ever since. Is it still good?
image.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Bought this at the distillery in Scotland 2002. Unopened and in the cupboard ever since. Is it still good? View attachment 43072

Yes, if anything it should be better! It is now a 32 years old whiskey!

It might not taste like it did when it was new, but it should still be very drinkable... Problems can ocrur if you leave an open, mostly empty bottle for a very long time.
Saying that, i have bottles that have been opened for a few years and they are perfectly fine.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I perceive everything in the UK is priced higher than in the Colonies. A 750ml bottle of Gentleman Jacks is only $30 or so, and lately Ardbeg 10 $43. Lagavulin 16 is ~$100. Like you I drink only for the taste, and any other effect is undesirable. My two main addictions are leather jackets and watches in no particular order. The best collection of any kind I have seen on this forum is Superfluous' watches!

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Midleton Irish..... if not then Bushmills..... if not then Basil Hayden.... if not then Makers Mark.... if not then Knob...

felix03

One of the Regulars
I've had Yamazaki and it's fabulous:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ts-scotland-to-win-worlds-best-whiskey-title/

I like this quote: "Ron Taylor, a Scottish spirit judge who claims to be a 'nonpartisan' drinker,told Time 'it’s no surprise a Japanese whiskey won. Japanese distillers regularly win whiskey competitions, even in Scotland.' He compared Japanese single malts to a Lexus: 'beautifully crafted, no vibration, smooth, consistent and always pleasant.' Scottish whiskeys, on the other hand, are more like a Maserati: 'They’ll knock you around and slap you around the face a little bit.'"

Benproof

A-List Customer
"Give me Scottish Single Malt over Japanese any day!"

LOL!

You must be the first guy I've ever heard who has volunteered to wear alcohol over his shirt.

I'd rather wear a leather jacket, Japanese or Scottish over mine. Not that's there's any difference other than fit, finish and finances :)

Drinking without getting completely and utterly drunk, to the point of obliteration, is a waste of time, money and a perfectly good drink. IMO. And that's why I don't drink. el oh el. I like... I LOVE Whiskey, but I have yet to taste one that isn't the worst thing I've ever tasted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe