Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese vs Scotland quality

MRB1248

Familiar Face
It's generally bad form - esp here - to come and air out grievances with vendors without having done all that's possible with the vendor first. It doesn't matter who it is.
Nobody here is trying to say you didn't have an issue - it may have been a misunderstanding or someone is lying - we don't know.

But I'd think twice about accusations online - esp a place like this - unless you're prepared to get questioned.
Carrie/Thruston has a long and good reputation here. It's a difficult task to do what they and the jacket makers do.
So, going forward, I'd highly recommend getting all possible settled offline and not here. For a first post, it's not the way to make friends and influence people...

Noted. I think I may not have been clear. It wasn't really an issue with Carrie or Thurston Bros. I took it as the jackets were just made with different materials and that accounts for differences in the sizing, something maybe Aero directly would be able to speak to. Especially since I really just don't know.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Noted. I think I may not have been clear. It wasn't really an issue with Carrie or Thurston Bros. I took it as the jackets were just made with different materials and that accounts for differences in the sizing, something maybe Aero directly would be able to speak to. Especially since I really just don't know.
My experience that I've commented on is that the type of leather matters. I have 2 cafe racers, both ordered and came out with identical measurements. The heavy steer one fits more snug and has perfect sleeves. The Vicenza one has more room to layer and the sleeves feel about a half inch long. I'm sure both will change with time, and your choice will depend on what you're going after. If you're perusing perfection however....it may be a long wait.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
My experience that I've commented on is that the type of leather matters. I have 2 cafe racers, both ordered and came out with identical measurements. The heavy steer one fits more snug and has perfect sleeves. The Vicenza one has more room to layer and the sleeves feel about a half inch long. I'm sure both will change with time, and your choice will depend on what you're going after. If you're perusing perfection however....it may be a long wait.

Thank you Sockeye, that is very useful to hear. And I've already started looking at another Aero, which seems like I'm a junkie already. The workmanship on the first was incredible, especially compared to the mall jackets I was used to.

...maybe I've missed something here or am misreading things, but I don't think it was MRB who started anything - the man just mentioned that the fit jacket didn't work for him. Same as how sending measurements to Aero didn't work for me, while Carrie always got my jacket size spot on.

Welcome to the forum, MRB!

MRB1248

Familiar Face
...maybe I've missed something here or am misreading things, but I don't think it was MRB who started anything - the man just mentioned that the fit jacket didn't work for him. Same as how sending measurements to Aero didn't work for me, while Carrie always got my jacket size spot on.

Welcome to the forum, MRB!

Thanks Monitor. I appreciate it.
And truly I really didn't mean anything, just saying, rather poorly, what didn't work for me.
On the plus side, I did get to see the materials and workmanship. Maybe it's not a plus since I am already looking at the Route 66 and I haven't even gotten my first jacket yet.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks Monitor. I appreciate it.
And truly I really didn't mean anything, just saying, rather poorly, what didn't work for me.
On the plus side, I did get to see the materials and workmanship. Maybe it's not a plus since I am already looking at the Route 66 and I haven't even gotten my first jacket yet.

Welcome to TFL, MRB.
For all of text and email's technological wonder and its ability to enhance communication, I don't think that there's ever been more miscommunication in the world, so I can understand how you could be perceived for not getting off on the good foot you'd perhaps intended or hoped for. It's why I always try to give myself some time to provide a considered opinion and make sure my sentences make the sense I intend so I'm not mis-read, rather than shoot from the hip. I can see the other side here as well and I think Butte's sagely advice to work out problems on a one-to-one basis with any company is always the best way to get a solution - these things are seldom what you immediately think they may be and work out in the end that way. I'm glad there appears to be a line drawn under this and things are moving forward.
Hopefully, when you get the jacket you're happy with (and I'm sure you will be), you can post some photos and your comments …? There's no shortage of people around here who like to see another well-fitting Aero jacket.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Welcome to TFL, MRB.
For all of text and email's technological wonder and its ability to enhance communication, I don't think that there's ever been more miscommunication in the world, so I can understand how you could be perceived for not getting off on the good foot you'd perhaps intended or hoped for. It's why I always try to give myself some time to provide a considered opinion, rather than shoot from the hip. I can see the other side here as well and I think Butte's sagely advice to work out problems on a one-to-one basis with any company is always the best way to get a solution - these things are seldom what you immediately think they may be and work out in the end that way. I'm glad there appears to be a line drawn under this and things are moving forward.
Hopefully, when you get the jacket you're happy with (and I'm sure you will be), you can post some photos and your comments …? There's no shortage of people around here who like to see another well-fitting Aero jacket.
Cheers.
Very well said.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Welcome to TFL, MRB.
For all of text and email's technological wonder and its ability to enhance communication, I don't think that there's ever been more miscommunication in the world, so I can understand how you could be perceived for not getting off on the good foot you'd perhaps intended or hoped for. It's why I always try to give myself some time to provide a considered opinion, rather than shoot from the hip. I can see the other side here as well and I think the sagely advice to work out problems on a one-to-one basis is always the best way to get a solution - these things are seldom what you immediately think they may be and work out in the end that way. I'm glad there appears to be a line drawn under this and things are moving forward.
Cheers.

Thank you for the advice. I will work on the communication, as it's a work in progress.

As for the airing of grievances it definitely wasn't meant that way. But in hindsight I can see how it was taken that way. I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone. So Carrie, if you're reading, I do apologize. No harm intended.

Thank you for the advice. I will work on the communication, as it's a work in progress.

I honestly don't think that's needed. Just that, I'm a bit slow today, so what jacket did you end up with? Maxwell in 42? Any pics? :)

MRB1248

Familiar Face
I honestly don't think that's needed. Just that, I'm a bit slow today, so what jacket did you end up with? Maxwell in 42? Any pics? :)

A 42 Maxwell in brown FQHH. I don't have it yet, but it will look exactly like the one that's on the Thurston Bros thread. To be honest, I can't wait. The one on their thread is so nice (I know, it's the one I messed up with). I hated the idea of not keeping it, but rather than keep it in my closet and not wear it, I figure someone who is a little bigger than me should wear it with pride.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Hi all,
I plan to buy very soon a new leather jacket and I was wondering if you could help me to understand the (BIG) difference of price between Japanese manufacturers like The Real Mc Coy, Flat Head, etc…and manufacturers like Aero, Alexander etc…
For my next buy I’am not personally after an exact replica of any kind of jackets but after overall quality. I could push my budget to buy a Mc Coy or a Flat Head but I m not against to save some pennies specially if you tell me than the quality is very similar.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Loubois, sorry this thread went soo off the rails. Wasn't my intention to have that happen at all.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OK, now that's settled, let's try discussing a comparative analysis between single malt Scotch whisky and Japanese saké with advantages/disadvantages of one over the other. The floor is now open to discussion. ;)

Justhandguns

Practically Family
OK, now that's settled, let's try discussing a comparative analysis between single malt Scotch whisky and Japanese saké with advantages/disadvantages of one over the other. The floor is now open to discussion. ;)

I thought you were saying Scotch single malt vs Japan 21yr Blended..... That will get things started again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe