Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Insurrection's PLU-3!!!

Faster

New in Town
The Vanson PLU-3 from Insurrection has to be one of my favorite riding jackets of all time. Insurrection has taken the time-honored Comet and lengthened it three inches in the body and one inch in the arms. The liner is a black cotton twill that is virtually indestructible. NO WAIT TIME EITHER...the best steerhide I've found on the market, hands down (I've tried most of it too). I simply love the classic two-pocket design too! Insurrection rules for putting a jacket out of this quality and fit for only $549!

Christopher-Holmes-11.jpg

Last edited:

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
you mention the
Vanson as being steerhide...in the Vanson website that I have seen..they only refer to their leather as cowhide...many times in Fl Vansons are referred to as steerhide..but I have never seen Vanson say it is steerhide and not cowhide...Schott does adv. some jackets as steer and some as cow...any comments...clarifications ?? my take is Vanson is only cow and not steer...notwithstanding the horse in older jackets and not to be confused with same ...

Faster

New in Town
you mention the
Vanson as being steerhide...in the Vanson website that I have seen..they only refer to their leather as cowhide...many times in Fl Vansons are referred to as steerhide..but I have never seen Vanson say it is steerhide and not cowhide...Schott does adv. some jackets as steer and some as cow...any comments...clarifications ?? my take is Vanson is only cow and not steer...notwithstanding the horse in older jackets and not to be confused with same ...

I looked this up, and you're correct. I did some more checking around and there was a long thread on TFL a while ago about steer vs. cowhide. What I got from it was that they're pretty much the same thing, save the different name. But, yes, this is a cowhide jacket. Sorry for the mistake.

On a different note, I really like the way Vanson ages, which is much different that Aero. The jacket breaks in, but doesn't brown like the Aero FQHH jackets do. I also love the arm creases that the thick Vanson cowhide gets, which make it look all broken in and killer old!

stelug

New in Town
Yes, cow and steer is about the same when they becomes a vest. Somewhere you can find bull-hide wich is suppose to be thicker. I don't whant to exume the longest question about the main difference between bovine and horses leathers. But is whort to say that also if I personally like so much FQHH, for any motorcycling purpose probably a thick and well tanned and treated cow or steer is still better. Being this t more elastic.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
The Vanson PLU-3 from Insurrection has to be one of my favorite riding jackets of all time. Insurrection has taken the time-honored Comet and lengthened it three inches in the body and one inch in the arms. The liner is a black cotton twill that is virtually indestructible. NO WAIT TIME EITHER...the best steerhide I've found on the market, hands down (I've tried most of it too). I simply love the classic two-pocket design too! Insurrection rules for putting a jacket out of this quality and fit for only $549!

Now that's a rider's jacket!

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket but an even better looking motorcycle! Is that a Thruxton or a modified Bonneville? You have good taste in leather and bikes. Enjoy riding in your new jacket.

Regards,

Noel

IXL

One Too Many
It's a Thruxton....I love it!

That is a great looking bike, and jacket. I have been planning to get a Langlitz but now think a call to Insurrection is in order. That jacket would go nicely with my new XR1200X Harley-Davidson.
Thanks for posting the image.

Faster

New in Town
That is a great looking bike, and jacket. I have been planning to get a Langlitz but now think a call to Insurrection is in order. That jacket would go nicely with my new XR1200X Harley-Davidson.
Thanks for posting the image.

The PLU-3 would be a great match for your XR1200X! Since I'm virtually split, speaking in terms of distance, between Langlitz and Insurrection (I've made several trips to both, and several purchases at both establishments as well), I had gone down to Langlitz to look for a classic cafe' racer. I found some pretty good stuff, but nothing at Langlitz fit me like this longer Insurrection-style Vanson cafe' racer. It's terrific...again, some of the best *cowhide* ever.

Last edited:

One of the Regulars

Great looking Vanson, perfect fits as well Faster!
Your Triumph project looks good too!

mrc

Familiar Face

You've really got to appreciate the fit and quality of this jacket. One word--"WOW!"

BTW--Talked to Wade today to set aside some time tomorrow to get fitted and just thought I'd let folks know that Insurrection just got a whole batch of Aero FQHH 1930s Half Belt jackets in. Wade says it's one of their best batches yet and cool as heck too!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Every time I see the Insurrection store mentioned in a thread title, I keep thinking first of that Leo DiCaprio flick, but that was Inception. Mental blip.... Insurrection have definitely come up with some very cool stuff, and it's interesting to see them develop such a strong brand identity across the whole range of products they make available, whether Aero, Vanson, whatever.... there's a strong common theme. On the subject of the hide, as I understand it, steer comes from a male cow (not all males are kept as stud bulls; some are neutered and reared for their meat, these are called 'bullocks' back in my Old Country, but I believe they are known as steers in the US), cow from the female. I'm sure both can be equally good. I have a lovely Aero Perfecto-style jacket in steer, which is comparable to the FQ horse in thickness, but much more pliable as new.

Faster

New in Town
Every time I see the Insurrection store mentioned in a thread title, I keep thinking first of that Leo DiCaprio flick, but that was Inception. Mental blip.... Insurrection have definitely come up with some very cool stuff, and it's interesting to see them develop such a strong brand identity across the whole range of products they make available, whether Aero, Vanson, whatever.... there's a strong common theme. On the subject of the hide, as I understand it, steer comes from a male cow (not all males are kept as stud bulls; some are neutered and reared for their meat, these are called 'bullocks' back in my Old Country, but I believe they are known as steers in the US), cow from the female. I'm sure both can be equally good. I have a lovely Aero Perfecto-style jacket in steer, which is comparable to the FQ horse in thickness, but much more pliable as new.

I agree, whether it's cow- or steerhide, it's definitely more yielding to the break-in process from the start than horsehide!

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Not to derail this thread or anything, but we at Insurrection are getting a lot of messages at the shop for orders on both Vanson and Aero. Concerning these types of inquiries, please call the business cell at 206-550-3545. This is the BEST number for national and international sales.

Again, sorry to derail the thread...Nice jacket Faster! Like your style!

AgentX

New in Town
Faster,

Great jacket. If I can bug you to ask, how's the PLU-3's length in a riding tuck? Does the extra length bunch up, and if so, can the double-end zipper fix this?

Also, is the back extended? Most of the pics look like it's cut straight all around the bottom; Insurrection's site photos make it look like it's dipped a bit in back, though, which I'd greatly prefer.

I am ordering a custom armored Comet myself and have a few decisions to make. Appreciate the assist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az